Bad reviews for travel insur., what now?

lcmdir

I have spent hrs & hrs researching travel insurance companies and narrowed it down to four: Travel Guard, CSA, Travel Insured International, and Seven Corners. Each has both bad (really bad) and good reviews. I understand some negative comments are vents but not all and I am quite concerned! In our case a waiver of pre-existing med. condition is required and I know how to get that. So, here is the question: How do I know which one to pick if all are nice and helpful until someone needs to collect?

Previous claim result experiences from CC readers will be helpful and greatly appreciated! I have 10 days to decide. TY TY TY in advance!

Anna

I have spent hrs & hrs researching travel insurance companies and narrowed it down to four: Travel Guard, CSA, Travel Insured International, and Seven Corners. Each has both bad (really bad) and good reviews. I understand some negative comments are vents but not all and I am quite concerned! In our case a waiver of pre-existing med. condition is required and I know how to get that. So, here is the question: How do I know which one to pick if all are nice and helpful until someone needs to collect?

Previous claim result experiences from CC readers will be helpful and greatly appreciated! I have 10 days to decide. TY TY TY in advance!

Anna

Just remember that if you have what you think is an unfair claims decision you can contact your state's Department of Insurance and let them determine if your claim was justified or not. If the Dept of Insurance agrees with the insurer you will at least know that their decision to deny your claim was correct. If they agree with you you'll get paid.

Personally, I would feel confident dealing with any of those companies. I've filed personal claims with CSA and helped clients with claims with Travel Guard and Travel Insured and always gotten good service.

Cruiseco, Thank you for your reply; it eases my mind! I have learned tons from reading posts here and from google but still feel like a small ant facing the big world lol. Those who know the ins 'n outs of travel insurance have my greatest respect -- it's a complicated topic!

OK, I plan to continue reading and make a decision within the next 10 days. Hopefully it will become less & less a case of playing pin-the-tail-on-the... as days go by. :-))

Thanks again, Anna

You are overthinking this. The more you read, the more confused you will become. Just remember, lots of complaints are not valid; people want to receive payment for things they never had coverage for in the first place, so they go online and start a posting spree.

I have had no problem filing claims with Travelguard. I currently have a policy with Travelguard, and one with Travelsafe for future trips. I will say that it is much easier to make changes (dates, adding additional costs, etc.) with the Travelguard policy.

Anna,

I agree with Cruiseco and Rugrats6, and would only add that many of the bad reviews I have read involve people who think their travel insurance covers EVERYTHING that could go wrong instead of just covering specific named events listed in the policy. If you read the policies, and know what is and is not covered, you will do fine.

Every company out there has complaints. I'd say the vast majority of complaints against trip insurance companies involve the company not covering something that the policyholder wishes it did. Whatever happened may not have been the policyholder's fault, but if something isn't covered, it isn't covered.

And yes, some of the complaints may be genuine issues. Insurance companies are staffed by human beings, and sometimes they make mistakes.

What needs to be done to obtain a pre-ex waiver varies by policy... you'll just need to check the individual plans to see what you have to do.

Don't stress yourself out; as one poster already said, many people don't read or understand their particular coverage and are angry when they find out the policy doesn't cover something.

Have a great cruise!!!

Archived