semi-formal night on EOS

I know this has been asked and answered several times, but now that the question has come up on our roll call, I can't get the search to work! Can any of you tell me if there is a semi-formal night on the Explorer of the Seas Western itinerary. If so, what night is it? We are all under the impression that the 2 formal nights are on our days at sea, Monday & Saturday. Is that true?

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks for the reply! However, I guess what I need to know is, does DH need to bring a sportscoat for a SEMI-formal night in addition to his suit for fomal night? Someone on our roll call thought they did away with semi-formal & now it's all smart casual or formal. However, the RCCL brochure states that there is 1 semi-formal, 2 formal & 4 casual. :confused:

Also, if there is a semi-formal night which night is it on the Western?

Thanks bunches! :D

just off the Explorer western run. 2 formal nights the rest casual. The formal nights are Day 2 Monday, and Day 6 Friday. There was no semi-formal night

Day 1 Sunday Casual, welcome aboard show, Parade on Promenade

Day 2 Monday Formal, Captains reception, Gala dinner, RC dancers, history repeating show, late night comedy

Day 3 Tuesday Casual, Rain, Family fued gameshow, first show for Planet Ice, salsa dance class, Venetian feast dinner

Day 4 Wednesday Caribbean attire/casual, caribbean dinner, Planet Ice shows, Crown and anchor repeat cruiser party, Love and marriage gameshow, pool party, late night pool buffet

Day 5 Thursday 50's,60's, casual , chefs dinner, RC dancers show fast forward, the quest game, rocking thru the decades show

Day 6 Friday Formal, headliner Roger Behr, planet ice, Latin Parade royal promenade, midnight gala buffet

Day 7 Saturday casual, feast of nations dinner, farewell variety show

• 3 weeks later...

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Someone always has to quote the web site even though it has been shown time and time again that what the web site and brochures say is simply NOT what is actually happening in reality aboard the ships. We have already established that there is no smart casual night aboard Explorer contrary to the posting.

Should DH bring a tuxedo for Explorer Of The Seas?

He can if he wants to. There will be many tuxes aboard and there will be plenty of guys not in tuxes. Which ever option he chooses there will be plenty of other guys that made the same choice so he will fit in just fine.

Because of all the truly helpful advice on this board, DH decided to purchase a dark suit instead of going for the tux. He needed a new suit anyway & so this killed two birds with one stone! He is also not taking up precious packing space with a sports coat. After reading the "helpful hints" thread I doubt if we could fit it in anyway. After all, we need the room for the duct tape, shoe holder, nightlight, collapsable hamper...... :D . And after shopping for all that stuff, I doubt we could afford it, either!

If you plan on dining in a specialty restaurant (with the $20 surcharge) I believe they do request a sports coat for men (but in our experience on AOS no one followed that request).

I will go with what others say, the website and brochures are not up to dat, there are no long smart casual/semi formal nights. 2 formals and 5 casual (tux or suit) we saw about 20 % in tuxes, 70% in suits and 10% in whatever. On the 5 other nights, dockers and polo shirts or button down. On the Navigator they did have a western night and a caribbean night.

Archived