Are the golf cart rentals a reliable form of transportation?

pampaul

I posted this thread over on the Grand Cayman board also but someone mentioned that they don't think GC rents out golf carts so I'm reposting it here.

We're a family of 4. 2 adults/2 boys (15 & 16)

We'll be in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

We don't have a game plan as of yet. Hubby mostly wants to do beaches. Of the 3 islands, we'll be on them for 4 1/2 hours, 6 hours and 9 hours, roughly.

We've never rented golf carts before. Are they reliable/good shape? In either of the islands, would we be able to check out the island on the golf cart and maybe hit a beach for a couple hours?

What about traffic? Good company to go with? Prices?

We have hired 2 golf carts with costa maya tours, and they will have them ready at the port for us. It cost $75 Per cart for the day, and I payed $10 per cart deposit via PayPal. I read good reviews for the company, and they've been most helpful with my questions. they also do jet skis and things like that.

We hired golf carts in the Whitsundays in Australia and they are terrific fun! As far as I am aware within a certain zoned area you are covered for breakdowns etc

Go on, you'll love it.

My family rented a golf cart from http://www.mahahualhotel.com.

The price of a golf cart is $76 and its capacity is 4 passengers. You pick up your golf cart at costa maya port.

They provide a good shape golf carts. They have a supervisor checking golf carts along the coast, just in case some passenger need some help.

My family had a great time exploring the South Coast Road (even if it was bumpy). No traffic.

If, like chilimixx, you want to drive down the south road along the coast (mostly deserted/ no facilities a klick or two south of Mahahual but very scenic) then a golf cart will work fine. You'll be limited in your distance south by less than 1/2 the time you are in port. I would not suggest the roads north of the port. They are primarily the main highway from Cancun to Chetumal. By the time you get to the turn off to Rio Indio and then back down to the coast, in a golf cart, you'd have to turn around and head back. You'll not have time to even make it to Maya Beach Garden or Uvero Beach.

However, if you just want to rent a golf cart to travel from the port through Nuevo Mahahual and down to the Malecon in old Mahahual, IMHO, it's a waste of $$$. You can't drive them on the malecon. It's only about 3-4 kilometers (klicks) to the malecon and a round trip taxi is $5 per person. You can walk out to the strip in Neuvo Mahahual to the shops and the Hard Rock Cafe (not to be confused with the HRC shop inside the port) and other spots. Very short distance.

Golf carts sound like fun, but the road out of the port to Mahahual's malecon is very busy with commerical traffic and taxis, narrow in spots, low/no shoulder, and can be hot and dusty til you get past the town.

Although it isn't an Island, I believe this is the only port you're visiting that has golf carts available. If you read 6 threads ago you can get more details. Of course agor75 is a little biased... one of their carts broke down! :eek:

Haha I am biased I suppose...sorry! They were a lot of fun we were just really thankful we had 2 golf carts...1 working one to push the broken one! Haha

Haha I am biased I suppose...sorry! They were a lot of fun we were just really thankful we had 2 golf carts...1 working one to push the broken one! Haha

It's great you didn't let it ruin your day... I've come across some people who would still be complaining about how it ruined their whole trip! :rolleyes:

Archived