How soon can you sign up for cooking lessons, etc on Riviera?

LewiLewi

They are often wrong ;)

If that's the case, then I hope FDR reads this. I find it unacceptable that official representatives of a cruise line (or any other business) are uninformed about the timelines and requirements for various options presented to customers.

A quick story about the front office at OCL: We recently turned over our upcoming booking to a new TA. I decided, however, to do my own shopping and booking of two shore excursions*. After struggling with their website all weekend (it would go into an endless do-loop whenever i tried to check out), I finally called yesterday and spent 45 minutes on hold before finally talking to a representative to book the tours. She was quite pleasant and apologetic about the delay and website and I decided to ask her about the culinary classes and excursions. She gave me the 120 day information but could not tell me anything about the culinary destinations that will be offered (e.g., what cities, cost, etc.).

I'm sure I will get plenty of negative comments for this next remark. So be it - I have a right to my opinion. OCL needs to take customer service lessons from Disney. We are taking our sixth Disney cruise next year (no sneering, please), are DVC members and travel to Disney facilities and resorts quite often. I have NEVER waited more than five minutes on the phone to speak to a representative, they are always fully informed about deadlines and requirements and you are always being asked to participate in customer service surveys. I feel very confident after working with them; the OCL front office, not so much.

* it is also my personal choice to take a ship excursion when the situation warrants it. I have plenty of independent tours set up for our cruise, so I don't need the lectures on why I should never take a ship tour (and they are ridiculously expensive, even with the new discounts).

If that's the case, then I hope FDR reads this. I find it unacceptable that official representatives of a cruise line (or any other business) are uninformed about the timelines and requirements for various options presented to customers.

I am sure he has read this already

If you got an OFFICIAL REP the info may be correct

If you got a RES AGENT it may or may not be correct

This has happened in the past where misinformation has been given by the people answering the 1-800 number

Don't shoot the messenger

We mostly book private tours & never been lectured by anyone at O ;)

I am sure he has read this already

If you got an OFFICIAL REP the info may be correct

If you got a RES AGENT it may or may not be correct

This has happened in the past where misinformation has been given by the people answering the 1-800 number

Don't shoot the messenger

We mostly book private tours & never been lectured by anyone at O ;)

I'm not talking about getting lectures from someone at OCL, I'm talking about the endless "why are you doing THAT" lectures from the members of CC and in particular the members of the Oceania thread. Quite frankly, just like your response to dincus above who merely noted that it was possible for them to book Privee now at a very early date if they wanted to (dincus didn't say anything about actually booking it). I believe dincus' point was to demonstrate that there are different booking rules for various optional events and your response was to question why anyone would book Privee. That's their choice if they desire.

If the reservation agents are not official representatives of OCL then why are they working there? If I owned the business, I wouldn't let a reservation agent near the phone until they went through extensive training and had at their fingertips manuals full of information to answer customer's questions. Hence, the Disney example of how to do it right.

I apologize if I seem a bit hostile - I am a long-time lurker who reads almost every CC thread associated with my current favorite cruise lines and I decided to get more active while sitting around waiting for my second total knee replacement to heal. I have seen, over and over again, the same types of responses to questions (and I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at you, Lyn) that quite frankly, might seem rather off-putting or even rude to newer CC members. I have also seen the supposed experts on the board bring forth incorrect or outdated information that has often gone unchallenged. And I have been incorrect numerous times as well, so when the correct information comes from the proper sources, I hope to put my ego aside and acknowledge it, which doesn't seem to happen with the "experts".

I'm not talking about getting lectures from someone at OCL, I'm talking about the endless "why are you doing THAT" lectures from the members of CC and in particular the members of the Oceania thread.

I apologize if I seem a bit hostile - I am a long-time lurker who reads almost every CC thread associated with my current favorite cruise lines and I decided to get more active while sitting around waiting for my second total knee replacement to heal.

I find that odd because most Oceania cruisers DO private tours

Maybe the are new to Oceania as well

I guess my reply to DINCUS was a bit naughty I do have a strange sense of humour not all people understand the Canadian/British humour You probably missed the smiley in the subject line

I am not sitting around waiting for my total knee replacement to heal maybe that is the difference in attitudes :rolleyes:

I am going to therapy 3 times a week plus had to go back in to have a manipulation done under anesthesia last week ..but people handle things differently

I try to look at the light side of things & as I said my humour is a bit strange

I will not reply to your posts I would not want your BP to skyrocketed

with my silly posts

I do hope you enjoy your cruise

Lyn

I guess I need a vacation NOW more than I realize

Subtle humor doesn't translate well on message boards, whether you put a smiley there or not (and there wasn't one). I'm not sure what you find "odd". I don't believe you got my point - my decision to do private tours or ship tours or a combination is strictly a personal decision, as is someone else's decision to book Privee or spend their lives going on Carnival Cruise Lines or go on DCL as adults with no kids (we've had a great time on Disney, believe it or not).

I have an acquaintance (actually, he's an executive VP at my company) who is an avid cruiser, RCI being the cruise line of choice. He cannot believe I would be so stupid as to actually book independent tours and he has actually told me that; he believes there is way too much risk inherent in not being under the control of a ship sponsored excursion in case something goes wrong. He is also not interested in booking any other cruise lines (I tried to softly promote OCL but he didn't bite). Everyone is different; if everyone on OCL books private tours that sure doesn't explain why the few excursions we have been on with them have been full or even required a second bus.

I've had both knees replaced in the last five months and am also yearning for vacation, especially a vacation where I can actually walk without difficulty. My attitude is actually pretty good, Lyn, for someone at the age of 56 with severe RA, osteoporosis, and severe asthma. At least I'm traveling and still working, unlike many folks on my RA board that have given up. I had the second replacement 4 weeks ago - sorry I'm not running around yet like you. Good for you, by the way. I'm hoping I don't have to have an MUA in the second knee.

My BP won't go up. Feel free to respond. ;)

I have taken a few cruises (it is a three digit number). I have found that while cruise line tours are indeed more expensive they are almost without exception very good and at unless you have spent your max on getting on board worth the cost. Why would you go to a new part of the world and risk taking a chance on a cut rate tour. I have found most people will not "fess up" to spending money on an independent tour that has turned out poorly. My thought is if you have a budget that must be taken into account take the cheapest cabin on the best cruise line you can afford and do the ships tours. When will you ever go back to some of these wonderful vistas? How much time do you really spend in your cabin? Spend your kids inheritance enjoy life.

Steve

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing it! We've had good and not-so-good ship excursions and a few independent tours that did not live up to expectations (ironically, usually the ones that were the cheap deal).

We now do a mix of things: Highly recommended private tours (see the ports section for some great ideas), relax and wander around on our own in some ports (had a marvelous time in Kotor doing this, for example), rent a car in a few ports to range further afield independently, and, finally, book a selection of a few ship tours that seem appropriate for the port or because they offer a unique itinerary that is worth the cost.

By the way, if you haven't been on it, you will love Disney Dream. Don't miss Remy! We're doing Fantasy next March.

From the "top"

Good afternoon Jan.

Pre-bookings of shore excursions, Bon Appétit classes and La Reserve events can and are booked via the web prior to final payment of the cruise. In order to book these optional items an active booking needs to be in place and cc payment is required.

Then I asked about refunds:

They are refundable and subject to the normal cancelation penalties listed on the cruise invoice.

I hope this settles this discussion..

Jancruz1

Rubysue,

You are correct. I have no intention of booking Privee. I was merely pointing out that it can already be booked. However if I was travelling with a group of 8 I would certainly consider it. I think roughly $30 pp to have that room all to your group and be able to order from both menus would make for a great evening. As a matter of fact I believe Jim and Stan have said they are doing that very thing on their Riviera cruise.

Having enjoyed Privee once on Marina's Miden Voyage, I will say that the room itslef is worth every penny of the current price, even though the food is the same as can be ordered on either side (Polo and Toscana) at no extra cost. If you have a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary, and would like to share it with a few others; or if you are the family patriarch sailing with a few family members, an evening in Privee will be one of the highlights of your cruise, remembered by all for a long time. We'll know more after joining Jim and Stan in Privee on Riviera's Maiden Voyage, but I'm willing to speculate that the service will be "above and beyond" and there will be something special, perhaps a dessert, that will set off the meal. In our case, it's an occasion for a reunion among great cruisng friends.

6a0120a92e343a970b014e5fbf9034970c-800wiMarina-Privee-0491.JPG

Thanks for the pictures, Don. Privee is a beautiful venue and it would be great for a family or group of friends traveling together. What a view! And you can book it so early, as noted by dincus.

We also just adored La Reserve and have booked it again for our upcoming cruise in September. It is a beautiful place. On our cruise last September, we sat with a gentleman from Istanbul who owns a transportation company that provides most of the buses for cruise tours and transfers in that city (his Swedish wife and mother-in-law were delightful dinner companions). The artist who painted the large piece on the wall of La Reserve in the bow direction (to your left if you are facing the counter) was also at our dinner.

Jancruz: Thanks for getting the information from the "top" and confirming what I had observed on booking excursions and activities.

Thanks for the pictures, Don. Privee is a beautiful venue and it would be great for a family or group of friends traveling together. What a view! And you can book it so early, as noted by dincus.

We also just adored La Reserve and have booked it again for our upcoming cruise in September. It is a beautiful place. On our cruise last September, we sat with a gentleman from Istanbul who owns a transportation company that provides most of the buses for cruise tours and transfers in that city (his Swedish wife and mother-in-law were delightful dinner companions). The artist who painted the large piece on the wall of La Reserve in the bow direction (to your left if you are facing the counter) was also at our dinner.

Jancruz: Thanks for getting the information from the "top" and confirming what I had observed on booking excursions and activities.

You are very welcome and I for one am happy to have you now posting!!

Jancruz1

RubySue,

I knew I liked you right from the start! I've had both of my knees replaced. One knee in 2004 and the other in 2006. I also suffer from RA and I was on infusion therapy for several years. Due to a severe drop in my white blood count I had to discontinue the infusion therapy over two years ago. I take methotrexate and Celebrex nowadays and thankfully get around pretty well.

My wife and I are in total agreement with you on the concept of "personal choice" with regard to ship-sponsored excursions or private excursions. For the most part we do private excursions because we prefer the smaller size of the group. For those ports of call where we are many-time repeat visitors we usually do those on our own. The large tour bus tours we shy away from because we sometimes feel rushed. Also, we hate to be back on the bus on time and waiting for latecomers who don't adhere to the scheduled departure time. This is a matter of personal choice and no one should offer criticism either way. My philosophy is if you can afford to go on the cruise to begin with than you can afford to do excursions or for that matter choose not to do excursions.....totally your choice.

We're booked in a PH1 category. Does that aid us in priority bookings for both excursions and specialty restaurants?

Good luck with your knee therapy. To me that was the toughest part of each surgery. Our youngest daughter is an RN. She has a BSN as well as a BS in exercise physiology. She was a great help to me during rehab.

Subtle humor doesn't translate well on message boards, whether you put a smiley there or not (and there wasn't one). I'm not sure what you find "odd". I don't believe you got my point - my decision to do private tours or ship tours or a combination is strictly a personal decision, as is someone else's decision to book Privee or spend their lives going on Carnival Cruise Lines or go on DCL as adults with no kids (we've had a great time on Disney, believe it or not).

I have an acquaintance (actually, he's an executive VP at my company) who is an avid cruiser, RCI being the cruise line of choice. He cannot believe I would be so stupid as to actually book independent tours and he has actually told me that; he believes there is way too much risk inherent in not being under the control of a ship sponsored excursion in case something goes wrong. He is also not interested in booking any other cruise lines (I tried to softly promote OCL but he didn't bite). Everyone is different; if everyone on OCL books private tours that sure doesn't explain why the few excursions we have been on with them have been full or even required a second bus.

I've had both knees replaced in the last five months and am also yearning for vacation, especially a vacation where I can actually walk without difficulty. My attitude is actually pretty good, Lyn, for someone at the age of 56 with severe RA, osteoporosis, and severe asthma. At least I'm traveling and still working, unlike many folks on my RA board that have given up. I had the second replacement 4 weeks ago - sorry I'm not running around yet like you. Good for you, by the way. I'm hoping I don't have to have an MUA in the second knee.

My BP won't go up. Feel free to respond. ;)

Thanks so much for your nice comments! I was unsure if I was out of line, but I felt it had to be said about personal choice and cruising, so I appreciate the support.

My RA is doing pretty good right now and the new knees will certainly help. Glad to see you are still traveling, too.

We had a PH2 on Marina last September and have the same this coming September (wonderful, wonderful suite!). You can book the specialty restaurants starting 75 days prior to the cruise in this category, provided final payment has been made. On Marina and Riviera, PH suites get one reservation per specialty restaurant (4 reservations total) but you can often work with your butler to get more reservations. Depending on the length of the cruise, PH suites on Regatta and Nautica (Insignia will be gone very soon) you can get 1, 2, or 3 reservations in Toscana or the Polo Grill.

I have not found that you get any preferential treatment for shore excursions for cabin category; however, you can book excursions starting 180 days prior to your sailing and there are now discounts for early booking and multiple bookings (25% discount if you book seven or more excursions, for example).

Some of the best times on shore we have had recently involved a very small group or just the two of us doing a relaxed excursion or going around on our own with plenty of time for sidewalk cafe occupation :-). It's great to see everything, but is also fun to people-watch near a street market or just sit and listen to the noises of a city (while sipping a great glass of wine, of course, or beer if you are in Belguim). Can't wait!

Hi: I'm a newbie on OCL but have cruised a lot on other lines. While we haven't sailed on Disney I appreciate the comments about their customer service. I've worked for many years helping organizations improve their services and have learned so much from Disney's work. But back to the theme of this thread...

We've done our deposit for a cruise in early August and can see the excursions online now. But we are not able to get to any of the Culinary classes. When will those be available?

We are also interested in the Food and Wine excursions but unless I somehow missed it, I didn't see any with that logo listed for our cruise. Are they posted by OCL at another time?

Hi: I'm a newbie on OCL but have cruised a lot on other lines. While we haven't sailed on Disney I appreciate the comments about their customer service. I've worked for many years helping organizations improve their services and have learned so much from Disney's work. But back to the theme of this thread...

We've done our deposit for a cruise in early August and can see the excursions online now. But we are not able to get to any of the Culinary classes. When will those be available?

We are also interested in the Food and Wine excursions but unless I somehow missed it, I didn't see any with that logo listed for our cruise. Are they posted by OCL at another time?

The bet information I was able to get is that the culinary classes will be available 120 days prior to sailing. This was from a representative at OCL; she didn't have much information about the excursions, which we are also quite interested in for our September cruise.

If you go back through the thread, I noted early on that we reserved a culinary class in March 2011 for a September 2011 cruise, so the timelines have obviously changed. Yup, the old Disney model would be a good one to adapt, wouldn't it?

I would venture a guess that it's taking some time to develop the excursions and also develop the culinary classes for Riviera. The classes are terrific, by the way. We had a blast! Think of how much more fun it would be to go to a local market in a port to buy ingredients and try the cuisine at a restaurant, then go back to the ship and recreate those dishes.

Hi enjoy your informative posts. Would you please explain La reserve to me in full.Also have you dined in La Privee? I will look at my booking also to see what is available re classes altho dont think hubbie be interested in culinary more prefer beer tasting lol!! cheers

The bet information I was able to get is that the culinary classes will be available 120 days prior to sailing. This was from a representative at OCL; she didn't have much information about the excursions, which we are also quite interested in for our September cruise.

If you go back through the thread, I noted early on that we reserved a culinary class in March 2011 for a September 2011 cruise, so the timelines have obviously changed. Yup, the old Disney model would be a good one to adapt, wouldn't it?

I would venture a guess that it's taking some time to develop the excursions and also develop the culinary classes for Riviera. The classes are terrific, by the way. We had a blast! Think of how much more fun it would be to go to a local market in a port to buy ingredients and try the cuisine at a restaurant, then go back to the ship and recreate those dishes.

Thanks for this reply. I think you may be right about the delay in posting the Culinary Classes and the lack of any FW excursions may be due to the newness of the ship.

However, as there are other excursions posted I'm wondering if perhaps there just won't be any FW outings. That would be a shame as I agree with you completely - going out to a local market and then coming back to prep the ingredients would be wonderful. We did a market tour with one of the master chefs at Condon Bleu and it was worth every penny. Seeing the market through his eyes then eating the food and watching his cooking demo were a real highlight for us in Paris.

Hi enjoy your informative posts. Would be able to explain La reseve to me fully. Also have you dined in La Privee at all? Did you enjoy the culinary classes? many thanz if you care to reply

Thanks!

A little bit more on La Reserve: This intimate 24-seat venue is definitely worth the cost ($95 per person, including wine pairings). They feature two different seven-course menus, accompanied by the appropriate wines. A reservation at La Reserve is at a fixed time (7:00 pm) and it takes about 3 hours for pre-dinner drinks/appetizers (outside the restaurant on deck 12 at a set of sheltered tables) and the seven-course dinner. While we ate, one of the pastry chefs created a chocolate lobster sculpture. There are four tables that seat six and you certainly get to know your dinner companions. I believe you can find the menus on the Oceania website. We can't wait to do it again.

We took one culinary class last year, "Indulging in Italy". Our cruise embarked on September 7 in Venice and sailed out at midnight on September 8 so our class was on September 8 at 4:00 pm (we had already spent a couple of days in Venice). We made a roasted beet, wild mushroom, goat cheese and mised green salad, a pene pasta with Italian sausage and wild mushrooms, and an easy tiramisu dessert. Our class was interrupted by the muster drill, but we worked around that. The wine flowed freely! We didn't eat dinner that night. It was a lot of fun (takes about two hours total).

For a sailing on September 24, 2012 when can reservations be made for La Reserve. We'll pass on the cooking classes but we'll indulge on the eating and drinking classes!

Thanks!

A little bit more on La Reserve: This intimate 24-seat venue is definitely worth the cost ($95 per person, including wine pairings). They feature two different seven-course menus, accompanied by the appropriate wines. A reservation at La Reserve is at a fixed time (7:00 pm) and it takes about 3 hours for pre-dinner drinks/appetizers (outside the restaurant on deck 12 at a set of sheltered tables) and the seven-course dinner. While we ate, one of the pastry chefs created a chocolate lobster sculpture. There are four tables that seat six and you certainly get to know your dinner companions. I believe you can find the menus on the Oceania website. We can't wait to do it again.

We took one culinary class last year, "Indulging in Italy". Our cruise embarked on September 7 in Venice and sailed out at midnight on September 8 so our class was on September 8 at 4:00 pm (we had already spent a couple of days in Venice). We made a roasted beet, wild mushroom, goat cheese and mised green salad, a pene pasta with Italian sausage and wild mushrooms, and an easy tiramisu dessert. Our class was interrupted by the muster drill, but we worked around that. The wine flowed freely! We didn't eat dinner that night. It was a lot of fun (takes about two hours total).

Hi, Don -

I booked La Reserve about two months ago for our upcoming September 12 sailing. Have your TA check with OCL or go in under your on-line booking. It should be available. Keep in mind, La Reserve is only on Marina and Riviera.

It sells out in a hurry, but another poster above noted that additional nights were added on their cruise.

I checked under my on-line booking and it wouldn't allow any dining reservations to be made for that sailing. I will have my TA check as you have suggested. RubySue, you are a fountain of information. Thanks for your assistance!

Hi, Don -

I booked La Reserve about two months ago for our upcoming September 12 sailing. Have your TA check with OCL or go in under your on-line booking. It should be available. Keep in mind, La Reserve is only on Marina and Riviera.

It sells out in a hurry, but another poster above noted that additional nights were added on their cruise.

I checked under my on-line booking and it wouldn't allow any dining reservations to be made for that sailing.

Just a thought

It may not be under the specialty dining reservation tab

Archived