Port or Starboard on Triumph?

wework2play

In Galveston the starboard side is most likely going to overlook the port, but not always. It depends on the port traffic and weather conditions. We usually go starboard and have views of the port in Galveston, but the water in ports. That is not at all a guarantee, just my experience.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Either side would be fine for me. We did starboard this past February. It was fine. I would have liked port too. We did not get to watch the people getting back on in Cozumel. That sometimes is fun.

Nancy

For Cozumel, coming in in the morning it will be on the port side, leaving in the evening it will be on the starboard side. I believe what time you berth determines which side of the pier you are going to be on, the earlier ship normally goes head in on the inshore side. This would put the pier on the starboard side of the ship. If you're on the later ship the pier is going to be on the port side. Some research might help here.

Progresso, assuming you're on a five day cruise the ship berths with the port side to the dock, not that there is a lot to see. Don't take that as an excuse not to go ashore, there are some great tours out of this port.

Galveston will normally be starboard side to, but if they need to do some painting or other maintenance you do occasionally berth port side to. Once the ship sails the starboard side does have the better view going out.

Remember, YMMV.

For Cozumel, coming in in the morning it will be on the port side, leaving in the evening it will be on the starboard side. I believe what time you berth determines which side of the pier you are going to be on, the earlier ship normally goes head in on the inshore side. This would put the pier on the starboard side of the ship. If you're on the later ship the pier is going to be on the port side. Some research might help here.

Progresso, assuming you're on a five day cruise the ship berths with the port side to the dock, not that there is a lot to see. Don't take that as an excuse not to go ashore, there are some great tours out of this port.

Galveston will normally be starboard side to, but if they need to do some painting or other maintenance you do occasionally berth port side to. Once the ship sails the starboard side does have the better view going out.

Remember, YMMV.

What does YMMV stand for? :o

Thanks for the info!

You just can't guess, it is different on every single cruise. Depends on what pier your ship will dock, what other ships are there, whether the ship is backed into the pier or goes in bow first....too many variables. We have cruised mostly on starboard side and have been on the pier side for more than half of the ports.....we have repeated a few ports and each time it is different...can't really predict in advance, it is a roll of the dice!

Our balcony was port side....

Leaving Galveston we were looking out at the oil refineries and water and could watch the dolphins jumping.

In Progreso, we had a view of the pier and could watch the drunks stumble back to the ship from the buses and shops.

In Cozumel, we had a view of the pier and had a hilarious show watching two very late and inebriated people try to make it to the ship on time. The entire ship hollered and cheered when they finally stumbled up to the ship.

Leaving Cozumel, we had a beautiful sunset that we viewed from our balcony.

Arriving Galveston, we had the view of Galveston and then the ship turned around right in front of Pier 23. Once again we could watch the dolphins. When the ship was finished turning, our view was of the oil refineries.

If I was to sail again, I'd chose port side.

Archived