Question regarding "deluxe upgrade" charge on suite

bikinibottom

We have been on several X cruises and a few in suites. I just looked at booking a suite for next March on the Eclipse and noticed there was a "deluxe" upgrade fee. I have not seen this before - can someone please explain what it is? It seems like you have to pay more for butler service now? Thanks!

We have been on several X cruises and a few in suites. I just looked at booking a suite for next March on the Eclipse and noticed there was a "deluxe" upgrade fee. I have not seen this before - can someone please explain what it is? It seems like you have to pay more for butler service now? Thanks!

Never heard of it either, is it something from your TA. Butler service always cost more since with suites you have both a butler and steward. I checked the prices, they haven't changed in awhile. It could be that this is the way your TA does a line item to show the increase in gratuities because of the addition of the Butler.

I went and looked at this and the only suite that doesn’t have this “upgrade” option in the Penthouse! It does seem like they are adding a charge for the butler on all other categories of suites. I wonder if this is in addition to the tip!

In my opinion the butler service is not worth an additional charge on top of the suite price. For the CS it is $178.57 per person per day. That’s just crazy. :eek:

I went and looked at this and the only suite that doesn’t have this “upgrade” option in the Penthouse! It does seem like they are adding a charge for the butler on all other categories of suites. I wonder if this is in addition to the tip!

In my opinion the butler service is not worth an additional charge on top of the suite price. For the CS it is $178.57 per person per day. That’s just crazy. :eek:

I checked a couple of things also. Was this a charge for the cruise or just a charge for the deposit. According to Celebrity some of their suites require higher deposits, I never paid a higher deposit but haven't had a suite in awhile.

Heres something from their web site:

Why are deposits higher for suites?

Suites are in high demand, but we have limited inventory. This policy will help to provide available inventory for those guests who are confident in their category selection.

I checked a couple of things also. Was this a charge for the cruise or just a charge for the deposit. According to Celebrity some of their suites require higher deposits, I never paid a higher deposit but haven't had a suite in awhile.

Heres something from their web site:

Why are deposits higher for suites?

Suites are in high demand, but we have limited inventory. This policy will help to provide available inventory for those guests who are confident in their category selection.

I checked too, it appears when you select a cabin. Looks like they are removing they are adding a fee for the butler as it is no longer included. Of course, it could be a Celebrity Site goof. I'd call and talk to someone. Weird. they also are asking for a large deposit and the cancelation policy is odd too. Almost as soon as you book you are penalized if you cancel. Of course, I've never book a suite so maybe a cancelation more than 9 mos out is normal for suites.

I checked too, it appears when you select a cabin. Looks like they are removing they are adding a fee for the butler as it is no longer included. Of course, it could be a Celebrity Site goof. I'd call and talk to someone. Weird. they also are asking for a large deposit and the cancelation policy is odd too. Almost as soon as you book you are penalized if you cancel. Of course, I've never book a suite so maybe a cancelation more than 9 mos out is normal for suites.

The charge for the Butler is still listed in the web site under the gratuities...I'm guessing on this that it is an increase in deposit since they it says its an upgrade fee. If they went from a non suite to a suite the deposit would go up. Other than that I have no clue...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Payments&faqId=551&faqSubjectId=68

I just did a suite "booking" for our upcoming New Years cruise. When I selected an S2 stateroom a pop up appeared offering to upgrade to "deluxe" for $32.14 more per person per day. This is the daily difference between an S2 and an S1. When I clicked accept the cabin I was shown as being ready to book was an S1. When I selected an S1 the same message appeared to upgrade to a CS. We have paid the same deposit on each of the curises we currently have book, and one is in a suite.

Mary Lou

I think they are asking you if you want to upgrade to a higher category of suite. That's why there's no option for the Penthouse Suite.

I just did a suite "booking" for our upcoming New Years cruise. When I selected an S2 stateroom a pop up appeared offering to upgrade to "deluxe" for $32.14 more per person per day. This is the daily difference between an S2 and an S1. When I clicked accept the cabin I was shown as being ready to book was an S1. When I selected an S1 the same message appeared to upgrade to a CS. We have paid the same deposit on each of the curises we currently have book, and one is in a suite.

Mary Lou

I agree, was doing some checks for prices on my next cruise and did phantom reservations. That was popping up for inside to outside and outside to veranda.

I think they are asking you if you want to upgrade to a higher category of suite. That's why there's no option for the Penthouse Suite.

No, the upgrade charge is for the butler. If you read through the suite amenities on these sailings there is no butler service mentioned. After you select your cabin the pop up asks if you want to upgrade and the only added benefit that I could find is the butler. This doesn’t change the suite category at all.

I’d be pretty put off if I booked the Penthouse and didn’t get the butler. I was shocked to see that the RS is not getting a butler either. I’m not sure how this is going to play out. Are they trying to reduce staff? On our last cruise our butler had a lot of cabins.

No, the upgrade charge is for the butler. If you read through the suite amenities on these sailings there is no butler service mentioned. After you select your cabin the pop up asks if you want to upgrade and the only added benefit that I could find is the butler. This doesn’t change the suite category at all.

I’d be pretty put off if I booked the Penthouse and didn’t get the butler. I was shocked to see that the RS is not getting a butler either. I’m not sure how this is going to play out. Are they trying to reduce staff? On our last cruise our butler had a lot of cabins.

NO!

This is a pop-up offer to "upgrade" from the suite selected to the next category up.

This is not new. It's been on the Celebrity site for at least a year.

If you select "no thanks" you will be able to continue on with the selected room. If you accept, you'll continue to the next specified category.

It is NOT an additional charge.

The same thing happens if you book the cheapest inside room. It will offer a pop-up showing the additional per-day charge to go to an Ocean View. If you select an OV it will show a pop-up for a Veranda. Veranda will show Concierge Class, and so on.

Harris

Denver, CO

Sorry, Ma Bell and ChezMaryLou are correct.

When I selected a sky suite this is the pop up I received for upgrade.

Our spacious suites transform a cruise vacation into a completely indulgent, fully comprehensive experience. Throughout the voyage, guests will enjoy special privileges and an extensive list of extended amenities including a European-style butler service.

When I selected yes I was upgraded to a Celebrity Suite. So it appears it is the usual upgrade offer but the wording is a bit confusing. I think they should probably reword this a bit.

It is on the X website. It was new for me - I had never seen it pop up before during a booking. I was trying to figure out if it was really an upgrade to another level or for additional services. It makes sense to offer an upgrade to the next level - but I didn't think the way it was worded was clear, plus I had never seen that before, so I thought maybe you guys would know. I am easily confused - lol!

Thanks, BB

I went back and did it again for the CS. When I took the upgrade it went to the next page and did not identify the cabin as a RS. When I clicked the tab to find out more about the cabin it was the RS.

This is poorly designed!

Archived