Air Travel To Venice, Italy?

I'm not sure if this is the exact best place to post this question however let me ask away...

I am sailing on the Carnival LEGEND next May 4th 2013 on a 12-day cruise that sets sail from Venice, Italy and ends in Barcelona, Spain.

My question is: What is the best (least expensive) air travel option available such as is it better/cheaper/faster to travel directly to Venice (from Tampa, Fl) or to another larger city (such as Rome) and then travel to Venice? :confused:

Any helpful use info will be GREATLY appreciated!

Chow! :D

I wouldn't think that any tickets are available that far in advance. You have plenty of time to do mock bookings. I'd be looking for cities like Miami or MCO that may have better international routes available. Also, you are often better off using a combination of planes and trains in Europe.

I'm not sure if this is the exact best place to post this question however let me ask away...

I am sailing on the Carnival LEGEND next May 4th 2013 on a 12-day cruise that sets sail from Venice, Italy and ends in Barcelona, Spain.

My question is: What is the best (least expensive) air travel option available such as is it better/cheaper/faster to travel directly to Venice (from Tampa, Fl) or to another larger city (such as Rome) and then travel to Venice? :confused:

There are a lot of variables that go into play and I guess my reply is that it depends on who you book with, and when you book. I have found that is is always better to book a direct flight to Europe if you are going on a cruise and don't have a number of days prior. Too many things can happen going from airport to airport such as long delays or flight leaving/arriving late. I don't think you will ever find multi-leg flights "faster". As far as the cost, rule of thumb is to book as early as possible for the best fares but I have also know people who booked a month in advance and got a great rate..

Book direct if you can and good luck with the fares. Have a terrific trip!

Thanks for posting this question, ShotoJuku. I'll be watching the responses too since we're flying into Venice and departing from Barcelona too but it'll be from PHL or JFK. Hopefully some Carnival posters have done this but we may have to post on Flyertalk too.

There are a lot of variables that go into play and I guess my reply is that it depends on who you book with, and when you book. I have found that is is always better to book a direct flight to Europe if you are going on a cruise and don't have a number of days prior. Too many things can happen going from airport to airport such as long delays or flight leaving/arriving late. I don't think you will ever find multi-leg flights "faster". As far as the cost, rule of thumb is to book as early as possible for the best fares but I have also know people who booked a month in advance and got a great rate..

Book direct if you can and good luck with the fares. Have a terrific trip!

Thanks!

Perhaps I should include that (at present) I plan to fly (directly) from Tampa to Venice on May 1st (3 days before sailing).

When we were on Magic last year, we were able to get two one-way tickets on American (Tampa to Barcelona, Athens to Tampa) for around $800/each. We used Kayak to monitor fares, and as soon as we saw that fare, we immediately jumped on it.

Best of luck planning your air to Europe!

Man that sounds like the cruise I would dearly love to do. I dream of being able to visit Venice. The cruise rates are so inviting, but the air :eek::eek::eek: Just kills ya.

You might look at flights into Milan, they might be cheaper and you can take the train to Venice easily.

I would actually post your question over on the Italy Ports of Call boards over in the EUROPE section. That way you can look at how others have done it.

Good luck! Lots of walking in Venice but nice.

This was very helpful. It would be great to find out how much people paid from X to Y and at what time of year.

Last October DH and I went from Dulles(Wash. D.C.) to Madrid then Barcelona to catch the Magic and we paid $823.00 one way. Total with taxes and Fees was $1,700 something.(Can't remember exactly).

We did a Ruby Princess transatlantic last November from Venice to FLL. Of course we only had to fly one way but we went from Dulles to Venice via Heathrow for a very cheap fare on British Airways. We booked almost one year in advance. I think the airlines open up fares about 333 days in advance. We also used Kayak and then connect to site (Vayama) that doesn't tell you the airline or exact times. All I did was compare unnamed airline with scheuled airlines and I could figure out who I was flying with. Also, we flew premium economy which was great! You will have a wonderful cruise and Venice is spectacular. We spent three days there before the cruise! Happy travels to you!

You might look at flights into Milan, they might be cheaper and you can take the train to Venice easily.

I would actually post your question over on the Italy Ports of Call boards over in the EUROPE section. That way you can look at how others have done it.

Good luck! Lots of walking in Venice but nice.

Thanks for both the Milan and correct section tips!

I am sailing on the Breeze which begins in Venice and ends in Barcelona. I purchased the ticket in Feb 2012 non stop flight from JFK to Ven and BCN to JFK for $1440 on Delta. The flight at some points over the last year had gone up as much at $1900, when I saw the price drop I brought in. The sale date is June 3rd to June 15th.

Ciao (the real spelling;))

We travel a lot to Italy and we use Delta from JFK. Delta has direct flights from JFK to Venice and JFK to Barcelona

You can book a multi city on the Delta website and see what it is.

I would get round trip from Tampa to JFK early in the morning and a return in the evening the day you come home(It can be a cheaper carrier, as you will have to claim your luggage)

One ticket will be round trip from Tampa to JFK

The other ticket will be a round trip multi city from JFK to Venice and then Barcelona to JFK

All overseas flights fly out in the evening so an early flight to JFK will get you there in plenty of time. They are all overnight flights.

Bit of advice from someone who has flown a lot into Italy. Changing planes in Italy runs high risk for not seeing your luggage for a week. It is worth it to get direct flights from the US to your destination in Italy. Rome is famous for luggage mishaps. If you MUST change planes in Italy, Milan is a better bet to see you luggage again

We are actually doing this in May - round trips into JFK and then multi city to Venice direct and then from Barcelona to JFK direct. (for the Breeze inaugural)

It is worth the extra money to do direct flight rather than EVER change planes in Italy

An airline I never see mentioned is air Berlin. I didn't fly out of Tampa but an even more expensive place usually vancouver Canada. We flew July 1 van to dussleforf dusseldorf to Venice. Good flight no lost luggage although I had read reviews saying such. We. Got it for 1200 tax in. I booked way back like September or October. By mar the flight was up to 1800. Just keep plugging your fares in on any travel site and when you see something book it!! I'm going again in2013 July and will start watching flights come September.

After posting here last night, I tried Kayak for the JFK, EWR, and PHL flights to Venice and back from Barcelona. I looked at flights in October, December, and February-March, 2013. The prices I saw most were around $1050 on AA, United, and Delta. Lower prices were found on Air Berlin and TAP (Portugal)-$850. I'll buy my tickets when they become available if the prices are similar.

Shoto, you may want to check it out for Tampa departures.

We are flying JFK - VCE - BCN - JFK in late April for our HAL cruise. WE purchased in Feb. and it was around $950 non-stop on Delta. WE saw it cheaper in Nov., but foolishly waited and prices were around $1100 until Feb. EM

We are flying JFK - VCE - BCN - JFK in late April for our HAL cruise. WE purchased in Feb. and it was around $950 non-stop on Delta. WE saw it cheaper in Nov., but foolishly waited and prices were around $1100 until Feb. EM

Thanks. I start checking in earnest 330 days out and if I see tickets for $950 for our dates, I'll grab them. Not bad considering we've paid $750 RT Rome and $800 RT Barcelona.

Most of the airlines will connect through another major European city. For your itinerary, I suggest looking at Iberia. It is a Spanish line that will fly directly out of Barcelona to NYC without any other European connections. I believe AA covers your whole itinerary in conjunction with Iberia.

Most of the airlines will connect through another major European city. For your itinerary, I suggest looking at Iberia. It is a Spanish line that will fly directly out of Barcelona to NYC without any other European connections. I believe AA covers your whole itinerary in conjunction with Iberia.

I see, so an American Airlines / Iberia Air combo looks like a reliable choice then...

Hello, I didn't read the entire thread so sorry if I end up repeating someone else's advice.

First off, websites like skyscanner and kayak are great for not only comparing prices of every airline, they also have an option that you can get an email sent to you every time the price drops below an amount you set. So for example, you can set a price for say $900 and if any airline drops there price to that or below you get an immediate update email. I use these all the time so I don't have to keep checking each day to see if flight prices have gone down. They also show you different options such as combined oneway flights, etc… that you may not have realized are out there.

Also, when my dh and I went on the Carnival Magic last year which was touring Europe we used Air France. They have an amazing "free stopover" deal. You fly into Paris and can stay for however long you want and then catch your connecting flight to your destination after. We had waned to do two days there first before catching the cruise. It really was great. We paid around 1,100 for the tickets and that was last June.

Hope this helps some:)

Hello, I didn't read the entire thread so sorry if I end up repeating someone else's advice.

First off, websites like skyscanner and kayak are great for not only comparing prices of every airline, they also have an option that you can get an email sent to you every time the price drops below an amount you set. So for example, you can set a price for say $900 and if any airline drops there price to that or below you get an immediate update email. I use these all the time so I don't have to keep checking each day to see if flight prices have gone down. They also show you different options such as combined oneway flights, etc… that you may not have realized are out there.

Also, when my dh and I went on the Carnival Magic last year which was touring Europe we used Air France. They have an amazing "free stopover" deal. You fly into Paris and can stay for however long you want and then catch your connecting flight to your destination after. We had waned to do two days there first before catching the cruise. It really was great. We paid around 1,100 for the tickets and that was last June.

Hope this helps some:)

Great "stay over" tip Stacy - thanks!

Archived