Why am I paying double for an Ic Tahiti room booked through PG?

D-ma

I booked a room pre-cruise through PG cruises. When I was researching rooms for a possible post cruise addition, I noticed that the cruise line charged me double the advertised rate. When I called an inquired they told me that that was the price that they were charged. I thought that PG cruises and the Ic hotels were either owned by the same company or somehow affiliated. Can someone explain this extreme price difference? I am feeling scammed.

Donna,

Are you on the overnight flight?

If so then you will have two days & 1 night and not only 1 day in the hotel. Also 2 breakfasts. Last year the room also included lunch in the IC Tahiti if you booked pre cruise.

We actually paid quite a bit last year $850 for a 1 night only panoramic room for three. But it was a nice rest before the cruise and did include breakfast and lunch. We felt it was a bit high but then you win some and lose some.

I'm not sure where you're looking for prices, because that's definitely not my experience - mine was that I got a HUGE discount over anything I could book myself. In fact just in case the prices dropped significantly at the hotel, I just went and checked and confirmed. The IC Papeete is offering the same room (Lagoon View room - that's what you get through PG Cruises, not one of the cheaper Garden View rooms) for $275 a night for the same nights we'll be there, June 28-29. Through PG Cruises it's only $180 a night. ($180 pp for the two night pre-cruise, double occupancy.)

Can you share where you found it for cheaper? I also checked other booking engines, and most of them are even higher. Booking.com shows a King Lagoon View at $315 a night. Expedia shows it at $276 a night. Even the cheapest room available at the hotel, the Twin Standard room (no view at all), goes for $220. Perhaps you're not doing the math correctly? Remember, that $180 pp is for two nights, not one...that's a total of $360 for two nights through PG, vs. $550 if you book direct through the hotel.

Btw, as far as I know they are not owned by the same company, and the only affiliation is that PG Cruises uses them for pre- and post-cruise stays. But if someone knows different, correct me.

Btw, as far as I know they are not owned by the same company, and the only affiliation is that PG Cruises uses them for pre- and post-cruise stays. But if someone knows different, correct me.

The IC Tahiti is owned by the same company (Pacific Beachcomber) that owns and opeartes the PG cruise ship.

I went directly to IC Tahiti's website. It states $400 for an OVB for the date I purchased for 2 people. PG cruises charged me $800 for the exact same thing. I even went all the way through the booking process except for agreeing to payment and the website was charging me $400.

I just went to travelocity and their price for the same date is even cheaper $369 total including fees for the same date 5/22/12 and same room king ovb motu advanced purchase. Who can I talk to at PG. I have purchased everything directly through them. This makes me angry when someone has a monopoly on the product and takes advantage of its clients.

I went directly to IC Tahiti's website. It states $400 for an OVB for the date I purchased for 2 people. PG cruises charged me $800 for the exact same thing. I even went all the way through the booking process except for agreeing to payment and the website was charging me $400.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I don't mean to be harsh, but there is just no way the IC Papeete is giving you an OWB for $200 a night. Not possible. That would be the deal of the century. Sounds to me like you're looking at $400 for ONE night, not two. Or maybe you're confused by the currency exchange rate?

Here's what I see on the IC's website for June 28:

1 KING BED OVERWATER BUNGALOW MOTU - 34,839.00 XPF

1KNG JR SUITE OVERWATER BUNGALOW LAGOON - 48,549.00 XPF

1 KING BED OVERWATER VILLA MOTU - 65,556.00 XPF

Here's a good currency exchange tool: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Using that tool:

1 KING BED OVERWATER BUNGALOW MOTU - $384.59

1KNG JR SUITE OVERWATER BUNGALOW LAGOON - $535.94

1 KING BED OVERWATER VILLA MOTU - $723.70

And remember, that's for one night.

If you've found an OWB for $200 a night, please post the link and state the date. Hell I'll fly over there for that!

I just went to travelocity and their price for the same date is even cheaper $369 total including fees for the same date 5/22/12 and same room king ovb motu advanced purchase. Who can I talk to at PG. I have purchased everything directly through them. This makes me angry when someone has a monopoly on the product and takes advantage of its clients.

Hon, you are looking at ONE NIGHT. One night. I just checked it myself, on Travelocity, for that date:

1 King Bed Overwater Bungalow Motu - Advance Purchase $322.24

1 King Bed Overwater Bungalow Motu $460.31

1 King Bed Overwater Bungalow Motu - Breakfast for 2 $496.36

Again, that's ONE NIGHT. And the PG includes breakfast. You are not paying double. You are paying slightly more than the advance purchase w/o breakfast rate, and way LESS than the refundable with-breakfast rate.

Are we clear now?

I never said 2 nights. I said for one night 5/22/12. I am paying $800. for one night. Now you can see my frustration. Where did you read where I stated for 2 nights?

Because that's what's on the PG website! Here:

http://www.pgcruises.com/extend/tahiti

Overwater Motu Bungalow: $390 per person. That's for TWO NIGHTS. That's a grand total of...$390 a night, double occupancy.

Please show me where on the PG site you are seeing a price of $800 for ONE NIGHT. I can't find it anywhere. If you can show me that, I will eat my words. Because that's not a price I would pay, and I would certainly complain (and cancel and book it myself).

But before I start chomping, please show me the link where you are seeing that price.

(By the way, PG Cruises doesn't offer only one-night pre-cruise extensions in Tahiti. They only offer it for 2 nights.)

Or perhaps you're looking at the Overwater Lagoon Bungalow? I see that they offer that on the 10-day itineraries they're charging $795 for the OWB over the Lagoon. Those are more expensive than the motu ones - as you can see in the prices I quoted above. Also, note that all of the pre-cruise prices for the 10-day itineraries are more expensive because, due to the flight schedules, you're actually there for more time - I think it's 3 full days and 2 nights, or something like that - so you're also paying for a day-room. In any case, you are comparing apples to oranges. Even on the IC direct site, it's $535 a night for the Lagoon bungalows, which are much bigger. And Travelocity doesn't even offer the Lagoon bungalows - only the cheaper motu ones.

I have a fully paid invoice stating that they are charging me that amount. What I do not get is your anger and rudeness towards me. You have proven that you really do not know much. You did not even know that the cruise line and the hotels were owned by the same company.

I guess I get irritated at incorrect information posted on this site. Sorry if I offended you.

Again, are you talking about the Lagoon OWB? That is the only OWB that is showing at $800 a night on the PG Cruises site - and that's a deal over what the IC charges directly.

If you are being charged $800 a night for the motu bungalows, then you need to go back to your travel agent and get them to make it right.

You can see PG's prices right on their website. See if you can find your price and you'll have your answer. If you are being charged double WHAT'S ON PG'S SITE, yeah, you got a problem and I hope you are able to get it resolved.

And no, I don't know everything about PG Cruises (such as what hotels they might own)...but I can read, and I can see what's on websites. You are either being ripped off, or you are mistaken in your pricing as I've explained.

Not sure if this is relevant/possible---as Emdee suggested, are you on an overnight flight and being charged for two nights because of an early check in? If you are arriving early in the morning (e.g. 5AM), then perhaps you are being charged for the remainder of the first night so you can check in prior to the normal 2PM check in time? Just a guess on my part.

On a side note, what we noticed about PG/IC pricing was that the pre-cruise stays were less expensive (or similarly priced than the "book it yourself directly with the hotel" price) than the post-cruise stays. If you look in PG brochure, a 2 night ocean view room is listed at $180 pp or a total of $360. Post cruise, the same two night stay in the same category room, the price is $345 pp or a total of $690. (If you are booking your own air, the prices are higher than this.)

I dont think that the book your own includes breakfast.

As we know thats a high cost. $40 per person.

Donna, very likely your PG agent made a mistake and charged you the 2 night price.

One night is not standard but they do sell it if you want it. Give them a call and discuss the specifics.

Another reason to use a good agent.

Thanks Miriam. I am not an experienced world traveler. I now know to get a good travel agent. Unfortunately for me I discovered this when it was to late to change anything. I am writing to let others know so that they can learn from my mistakes.

I am reaching Tahiti at 10pm 5/22 and my cruise leaves on 5/23 and I am being charged $800 for the above mentioned room. I am not posting wrong information. I am posting things that are happening to me and I can prove it.

This is a forum where everyone can discuss the good and the bad of their experiences. Newbies should not be bullied into feeling stupid or inferior.

To Leeann. If your intent is not to insult people, then in the future I would not call them HON after you spent three paragraphs inferring that they were stupid, could not figure out the currency exchange or could not read a website. To call a women Hon is very demeaning and very politically incorrect. I have a very hard time believing that a women today would call another women Hon.

I feel that if you reread your postings and imagine someone wrote those to you you would begin to see my point.

Hi Donna,

Your pricing is way too high for 1 night.

Did you go back and complain to them - ask for a supervisor. There is NO reason you should be charged that much.

I really do think they have made a mistake.

Let me know how it goes.

Miriam

To Leeann. If your intent is not to insult people, then in the future I would not call them HON after you spent three paragraphs inferring that they were stupid, could not figure out the currency exchange or could not read a website. To call a women Hon is very demeaning and very politically incorrect. I have a very hard time believing that a women today would call another women Hon.

I feel that if you reread your postings and imagine someone wrote those to you you would begin to see my point.

I re-read, and you are right - I came across as too harsh. Mea culpa, and I apologize. I just found it hard to believe that you would be charged double what's on PG's actual website...and if you were wrong (which I believed you were) it was pretty inflammatory information.

Yes, it's always important to work with a good TA when booking any kind of international travel...unless it's a simple hotel stay or round trip flight.

You are clearly being charged incorrectly, as you can see by looking right on PG Cruises' own website. I would urge you to contact them and insist that they not charge you the two night fee for one night.

They may come back and tell you that this is the "deviation" fee - cruise lines will do that sometimes if you are purchasing a non-standard flight itinerary from them (which you are - the standard is either fly in the day of the cruise, or two days before and do the 2- night pre-cruise as shown on their website).

Please do come back and tell us what they say. I have found PG Cruises to be nothing short of miraculous in terms of their willingness to be fair and work with their customers - for example, the couple taking the cruise with us was charged a foreign-exchange fee from their bank for the actual fare of the cruise, even though PG Cruises are a US company (but they use an Irish bank). PG Cruises actually is reimbursing them the entire FX fee as an onboard credit! That's pretty remarkable, and representative of the type of service they usually give.

I booked a room pre-cruise through PG cruises. When I was researching rooms for a possible post cruise addition, I noticed that the cruise line charged me double the advertised rate. When I called an inquired they told me that that was the price that they were charged. I thought that PG cruises and the Ic hotels were either owned by the same company or somehow affiliated. Can someone explain this extreme price difference? I am feeling scammed.

Hello D-ma,

Please call Paul Gauguin Cruises at 800-848-6172 so we can review your InterContinental Tahiti hotel booking with you.

Sincerely,

Paul Gauguin Cruises

I contacted Pg cruises and asked to speak to the manager. I told her that I was charged $810.00 (to be exact) on my invoice and that as I was researching the web I found that I could get the same room for considerably cheaper. She stated that she felt the price was high and wanted to look into it and call me back.

The PG cruise manager stated that the price I paid was the pre-negotiated price that the cruise line had with the hotel. While she could not adjust the price she allowed me to cancel my hotel reservation with PG cruises with no penalties.

I went to the web and had two choices for the exact same room-$322(Advanced Purchase) or $465(can cancel reservation until 2 days before no penalty). I purchased the $465 choice.

The difference in the price allowed me to purchase an Ambassador membership. This entitles me to fruit and water at check-in. Guaranteed late check-out until 4pm(which helps me due to ship embarkation at 3pm). Also it guarantees 1 category upgrade. So I will be getting a much better room.

My price does not include the $20 breakfast but I want the one that is delivered by canoe and that is a different entity.

The manager allowed me the time to get this in order before I cancelled with PG so I will do that part tomorrow.

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP...that's the sound of me eating my words! :o

I'm truly stunned that they are charging such an astronomical price for that night. I would love to hear a better justification for it than it's a "pre-negotiated price". The only thing I can think of is that they charged you the price for two nights even though you are only using it for one, because one night is non-standard (on their website they ONLY list two-night pre-cruise options at the IC).

Lesson learned: always comparison-shop for hotels before booking with a cruise line. That goes for ALL cruise lines - the fact is that the vast majority of cruise lines do charge significantly more for hotel rooms than you can get on your own. But keep in mind, that includes transfers, and the convenience of having all of your arrangements handled by the cruise line, which many people feel is worth the higher price. (Although DOUBLE? Not so much...) PG Cruises is one of the rare cruise lines that actually give good deals on pre- and post-cruise hotels - this is actually the very first time (for my upcoming PG cruise) that I booked my pre-and-post-cruise hotels with the cruise line in my 15 or so cruises...including our previous PG cruise.

Another lesson learned: always work with a trusted travel agent when traveling internationally. I'm a do-it-yourself type and usually book all of my own travel, except when I'm looking at a complicated international itinerary with flights, cruise, hotels, transfers etc. A good TA will be able to handle these issues for you.

Remember, now that you're not booked through the cruise line, you're going to have to handle your own transfers from the airport, and to the ship. There's plenty of helpful information in this forum about various ways to do that. (When we did this cruise before, we just used taxi's...although they are not cheap).

Thanks Leeanne. The manager said that PG cruises would not pay for my transfer from the airport to the hotel but that they would pay from hotel to the ship. I believe that I was due 1 transfer because I did purchase the cruise and airfare through PG.

Also, I believe that the IC tahiti is 2 miles from the hotel so the taxi should not be that much.

Archived