Taking food from Ship to Shore?

BLS

Am unclear on this one.

While in St Petersburg, can you bring food from the ship along while you tour?

Thanks,

Bev

Being an ag zone, there are restrictions of some fresh fruit and vegetables but I've never seen anyone prevented from bringing any foods. Every once in a while there is a warning about some pest that was discovered on incoming ruit but since the local commercial crops are not fruit , but mainly root crops and truck farming, so no one seems to care. Whatever you bring from the ship will not be as fresh as what you can get on shore however. Special diet concerns might however, want to think about bring food unless discussions with your tour company allows them to make arrangements for your special needs. Every type food you can imagine is available on shore but maybe not in the neighborhood you happen to be in when hunger strikes. Larger restaurants are fully aware of special dietary requirements and seem to do fine but small cafes will not cater to restricted diets.

Some cruisers bring sandwiches and snacks to save time but it would be nice to get local versions of Russian snacks to get you in the mood of a new culture. Russian snacks are quite interesting such as smoked salmon with dill and butter open face on bread, or red caviar on bread are tasty, cheap and filling. Black Beluga Caviar is much too expensive for average Russians to eat like peanut butter but the red type is cheap enough.

John Lawrence will be our Cruise Director for the entire Baltic Star season. ;)

For sure, he will know about the fruit. I think that MAY be the only objectionable items (because of the fruitflies and other varmints). :eek:

Here is a Thread that John started:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165445

And here is his website: ;)

www.johnlawrencecd.com

I should receive his DVD tomorrow. John tells information on all the ports. It is from his Port Lectures on board. :D

If you're asking whether your totebags and backpacks are inspected by cruise line personnel or Russian customs agents when disembarking the ship, the answer is no. The Russians will, however, subject your carry-on items to an x-ray and possible hand inspection before allowing you to enter the secured pier area to board your ship.

My questions are about taking food (not to include fruit, which I know can bean isse anywhere) from the Ship.

Like many folks we want to maximize our time ashore and eat on the run for lunch.

Thanks,

Bev

There are signs in virtually every port, St. Petersburg included, prohibiting the importation of certain items including prepared foods, fruits and vegetables. Immigration did not hand check or xray the tote I was carrying, but that's not to say they don't have the right to do so. If you take food off the ship and it's detected, it will likely be confiscated. If it isn't, enjoy!

I asked DenRus if there were Russian laws prohibiting carrying food off the ship - they said absolutely not. To be safe, I wouldn't bring fresh fruits and vegetables. Most posts on the boards indicate that people's bags are not even checked when they get off the ship.

I think many of the cruise lines have rules though telling you not to bring food off the ship.

Lori, I received the same reply from Denrus as you did. I suppose if the ship had a stated policy that it is ok to take food off the ship it could open up a whole can of "worms' no pun intended.

When are you going on your cruise?

RO had suggested we bring box lunches from Constellation to save time. I do not believe ship will provide, but it's easy enough to put one together from snack sandwiches provided at previous day's tea buffet and from meats, cheese, bread, etc. at breakfast buffet. I had already had my eye on a flat insulated bag that would pack easily. But when we read about possible problems, we asked RO if they could supply box lunches. No problem: US$12/pax. Not sure if that includes cost of supplying for driver and guide, or if we'll need to cover $12 each of them as well. Seemed much easier, so that's what we're going to do. Second day we have lunch with Russian family.

Steve

RO had suggested we bring box lunches from Constellation to save time. I do not believe ship will provide, but it's easy enough to put one together from snack sandwiches provided at previous day's tea buffet and from meats, cheese, bread, etc. at breakfast buffet. I had already had my eye on a flat insulated bag that would pack easily. But when we read about possible problems, we asked RO if they could supply box lunches. No problem: US$12/pax. Not sure if that includes cost of supplying for driver and guide, or if we'll need to cover $12 each of them as well. Seemed much easier, so that's what we're going to do. Second day we have lunch with Russian family.

Steve

Steve, wouldn't it be more interesting to have your driver stop by a market and get real Russian snacks and finger food that would be a lot of fun, tasty and cheap. Why have the same boring sandwiches when bread with fresh dill and red caviar, smoked salmon appitizers, pastries, fruit juice(or for something really authentic; Kvass, and Russian salad(not to be confused with lettuse/vegetable salads in the west) and more are so interesting? Your guide could make suggestions and get a variety to share between fellow van passengers. Food from local markets will be fresher than that from the ship and vegetables will be a lot taster and their flavor will remind you of when you were a kid...remember when tomatoes were more acid and thick with rich flavor?

Eating the local cusine is one of the joys of travel.

Stanj:

Since RO is supplying the box lunch, I assume it will be local Russian food -- and we will be saving time. I'd rather see the treasures of the Czars than spend time selecting items in a market. And, we have the Russian family the next day.

You Silver-Tongued Devil, :D

Your food descriptions sound just wonderful, healthful, and exotic, Stan. :cool:

You really would make a wonderful Tour Guide (if you didn't have your fingers in so many other pies). ;)

Archived