Doing laundry on ship

blum74

How convenient is it to do your own laundry on the ship? We are going to Alaska on the Golden (Dolphin Deck) and I'm hoping to do some laundry one day at seat to avoid packing everything I own.

Do you leave your things in the washer or stay and watch?

Although we never want to take the time to do it, doing laundry is pretty quick and easy. The wash and dry times are posted, so we leave and are sure to return before the cycle is complete in order to remove cloths. If a cycle ends and you're not there, I don't believe it's unreasonable for others to remove your items if a machine is needed by somebody else.

Lew

There are self service laundries on all Princess ships. They are open from about 8am to about 10pm. Times may vary by ship. From what I have seen going by, some stay and talk or read while their stuff is washing and drying and others leave and come back when the washing is done and again when the drying is done. Be sure to get back before the load finishes.

Because we often do extended land-based tour before and/or after a cruise, we also travel with a lot of quick dry clothing so we can wash some things in the sink and have them dry overnight. That being said, we also appreciate having the self-serve laundromats on the ship. I usually take a mug of coffee and a book to read while doing the laundry.

Regarding "machine hogs" if someone's load in the washer finishes and they are not there, I have no problem whatever in removing their stuff. I figure if they were that worried about a stranger handling their clothes, they would stick around and do it themselves.

We always do a couple of loads-just dont wait until the last sea day as it will be packed- usually about day 5 we will do the clothes- Saves packing so much plus not bringing home all those dirty clothes either. I get a couple of those one load tide packages, put a couple of dryer sheets in a baggie and bring about $10 in quarters- just saves alot of running around in case the vending machines dont work and the quarter machine is out of order- We throw in a couple of loads- There is a sign that says aprx. wash and dry times- a few minutes before done we head back.

We do laundry if available on the ship often on longer trips. We are leaving in a couple of weeks for a 29 day trip and plan to wash weekly. This time we are taking the Purex 3 in 1 sheets - http://www.walmart.com/ip/PUREX-3N1-38CT-SPG-OASIS/15028866 - they are lightweight and save us from having to buy detergent and softener onboard.

Every once in a while you have to wait for others to finish up loads but if you try to avoid popular times, it is easy and convenient and doesn't take too much time out of your day.

Is there a chair or two if you decide to bring coffee & book to pass the time while your load is running?

Anyone know exactlly when they close the self-serve laundry while in Alaska? We're doing a few days on land after our cruise so I'm hoping to do laundry near the end of the cruise so we have clean things for Denali National Park.

TIA!

I have never seen the laundry room closed on any day, just late at night. I bring quarters with me, plus detergent and dryer sheets. I get at the laundry room early, sometimes 7am. I always time my loads so I will be back right before the load is done. Bring a large garbage bag with you to put your clean laundry in and another one for your dirty laundry. The laundromats do get busy, especially on sea days and formal days. They usually have 2 iron boards in each laundromat. Those become popular too. Another idea to save on how much luggage you bring is to not worry about ironing tuxes or suits or fancy dresses before leaving your home. You can send these items out to be pressed only and the price is reasonable for this service. Also bring only one dress for formal night and change out the accessories. No one will remember what you wore anyways. Yes they do have 1 or 2 chairs in the laundermat

They definitely close the laundries for some days on the Alaska itineraries but I'm sorry, I'm not sure which days. I do know that I was caught out by it towards the end of doing a coastal then an Alaskan cruise, so I think it was all the time we were in Alaskan waters.

Is there a chair or two if you decide to bring coffee & book to pass the time while your load is running?

TIA!

Yes there are a few chairs in the laundry room. Also Irons and ironing boards if you need them.

Before we were Elite, laundry was necessary. We always stayed with our laundry. Took a book.

Also, I suggest you obtain a roll of quarters at the beginning of the cruise. Later in the cruise, everyone is asking for change for the laundry. I packed the small packets of detergent and a few dryer sheets.

Shirley

Before we were Elite, laundry was necessary. We always stayed with our laundry. Took a book.

Also, I suggest you obtain a roll of quarters at the beginning of the cruise. Later in the cruise, everyone is asking for change for the laundry. I packed the small packets of detergent and a few dryer sheets.

Shirley

The front desk on the Golden had $10 envelopes filled with quarters for the laundromat. $2 to wash and $2 to dry and the driers do not always work sufficient to fully dry the clothes. I find the Purex 3-in-1 sheets work the best - compact and slipped them into a baggie. I always make time to do at least one load of laundry regardless how long the cruise. Now that the airlines charge for everything, I don't want to take that extra top, housecoat, etc., etc.

We've never had trouble getting the machines - we do our laundry early or late. We have young kids too and so we need to do a lot of washing - this goes as far as us booking a room not too far from the laundry.

I tend to do the ironing in the morning and I've never once seen another using the iron while I've been there (typically before breakfast).

Take your own laundry powder - while this doesn't save much money (because powder is cheap), it will save the annoying feeling of being ripped-off by the price Princess charges for powder.

I am the self declared queen of the laundry room. My subjects:p have given you good advice. I find that the laundry rooms are most busy in the morning and around lunch time is pretty good time to try. The rooms are located aft and forward on alternating floors. Look at the diagram -- the next closest laundry to try might be 2 floors up or down not 1 deck. I also like those Tide sheets that pick up stray color since your luck at getting 2+ washers (color/white) is not likely. Also if pressing be sure to check carefully the irons and ironing board cover as the last person's red glittered top will look stunning on your purple satin skirt:eek::eek: Get your coins for the laundry very early in the trip -- they run out it seems and it takes 16 quarters or tokens for each load wash and dry. They will announce when the laundry room will be closed -- They did this for 3 days in St. Petersburg Russia also. Of course I spilt the world on blouse those days and the first day after was hugely busy time for the laundry room and for Princess laundry also. It is my experience that the laundry room is really really busy on the first day -- all of those of us who have been running around precruise for several days are completely dirty and waiting for the machines on ship to clean up.

It was suggested to take plastic bags for dirty clothes. Because of another suggestion here on CC, we took pillowcases for that purpose. Then I just dumped the clothes and the pillowcase into the washer. Everything got washed at the same time.

My better half loves self service laundry, and Princess ships are always the first choice for my bookings for that simple fact. There are laundry sheets that you can buy online, that combine detergent and softener in easy to carry sheets. My wife loves them! The laundry rooms become more

crowded near the end of a cruise--in our experience--so try to use the

service when the laundry rooms are in least demand.

Pete

Pete

It was suggested to take plastic bags for dirty clothes. Because of another suggestion here on CC, we took pillowcases for that purpose. Then I just dumped the clothes and the pillowcase into the washer. Everything got washed at the same time.

What a clever idea for 'smalls'. Thanks.

The front desk on the Golden had $10 envelopes filled with quarters for the laundromat. $2 to wash and $2 to dry and the driers do not always work sufficient to fully dry the clothes. I find the Purex 3-in-1 sheets work the best - compact and slipped them into a baggie. I always make time to do at least one load of laundry regardless how long the cruise. Now that the airlines charge for everything, I don't want to take that extra top, housecoat, etc., etc.

After reading on CC about the Purex 3-1 sheets We bought some for Our Hawaii Cruise this past November....

They Worked GREAT....Put in one sheet in the wash and then you can use it also in the Dryer.....

I've always gone to the Laundry room right when they open in the morning and have Never had to wait.....Then I go back to the cabin for awhile and go back just in time to put the clothes in the dryer.....

Our next cruise is in May to Alaska on NCL and they dont have Self-Service laundry rooms anymore,,,,:(

Gotta pay the $25.00 a Bag Deal half way into the cruise....

Last year on our first NCL cruise my clothes wasnt back the next day as I was told it would be....They came up with some excuses and then said they couldnt locate my clothes....:eek:

Finally by the second day of it being missing it arrived in our cabin at night....I asked about having the $25.00 Comped for the Delay and Was Flatly Told NO......:mad:

I didnt pursue the issue but sure was Glad to have our clothes back....:)..

The Cruise was still a BLAST.....:D

I ending up doing laundry a couple times, depending on the length of the cruise. I take the chair from the desk with me, then I sit outside the laundry room with my iPad and read.

Archived