The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

What hours is Cafe el Bacio open on the Solstice?

Is there anywhere to get a late night cup of tea and a pastry?

I might be off by 30 minutes but I do know Cafe el Bacio is open

from (about) 7am till 1am........depending on how busy they are

in the late evenings......and that is where you would go for the

tea and pastry

NO! BUT they DO give you the whole can...it's not that fountain stuff.

Can anyone tell me with the "soda" package on Celebrity do you get a thermal drink cup with it? (I do on Royal Caribbean) ....

What a great thread! I have just booked my first X cruise (AQ on the Solstice) and I am terribly excited. Thanks to CC I have booked one of the hump cabins with the larger balcony, and I know the bed is by the bathroom, not the balcony.:) I am especially looking forward to dining in Blu. Yummy:)

I am a little confused at the cabin classes though ... There have been comments about "concierge class and above" and I am not sure where AQ fits in. Is it the same level as Concierge, or is it above or below? Do the AQ cabins also get the afternoon nibbles?

I am dairy intolerant (milk, cream and yoghurt mostly, I'm OK with hard cheeses), and while free ice cream is great for most (especially my husband), it isn't much use to me ... do they have sorbets as well?

Thanks for all your wonderful contributions,

Yes - this is a great thread.

As a long time RCCL cruiser we are following the trend of flipping-over to X. I am excited as so much is new...........

Please forgive my ignorance but some questions.

We have booked a suite as we do on Royal, but never have had a butler.

So is the "butler" also the room steward?

I read somewhere about a "coupon book" please tell me about it.

On Royal, the coupon book coincided with your loyalty level. We are Diamond Plus and it came with some good coupons for example free pictures, drinks, etc.

Is it the same on X?

Thanks to all you veteran X cruisers, I appreciate the info.

Glenn

What a great thread! I have just booked my first X cruise (AQ on the Solstice) and I am terribly excited. Thanks to CC I have booked one of the hump cabins with the larger balcony, and I know the bed is by the bathroom, not the balcony.:) I am especially looking forward to dining in Blu. Yummy:)

I am a little confused at the cabin classes though ... There have been comments about "concierge class and above" and I am not sure where AQ fits in. Is it the same level as Concierge, or is it above or below? Do the AQ cabins also get the afternoon nibbles?

I am dairy intolerant (milk, cream and yoghurt mostly, I'm OK with hard cheeses), and while free ice cream is great for most (especially my husband), it isn't much use to me ... do they have sorbets as well?

Thanks for all your wonderful contributions,

Aqua Class is one level above Concierge Class. You should get the afternoon nibbles.

And yes, there is sorbet available at the ice cream station.

Enjoy!

As a long time RCCL cruiser we are following the trend of flipping-over to X. I am excited as so much is new...........

On Royal, the coupon book coincided with your loyalty level. We are Diamond Plus and it came with some good coupons for example free pictures, drinks, etc.

Is it the same on X?

Glenn

No, the butler is the butler. You will also have a cabin steward and an assistant steward who are responsible for keeping the cabin clean. The butler is your go to person for assistance with just about anything on the ship.

The coupon book is really a coupon sheet. And yes, the coupons vary depending upon your level in the Captain's Club.

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!

No, the butler is the butler. You will also have a cabin steward and an assistant steward who are responsible for keeping the cabin clean. The butler is your go to person for assistance with just about anything on the ship.

The coupon book is really a coupon sheet. And yes, the coupons vary depending upon your level in the Captain's Club.

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!

Oh my!

Thanks we are looking forward to "something" different!

g

if you buy on board normal uk customs limits apply,if you buy cigs etc in the EU then skys the limit(with in reason 3500 cigs i belive);):):)

I looked into this last year as we were docking in Gibralter - hopefully this will help you.

You are allowed 200 cigs. l litre of spirits at duty free prices.

If you buy in a shop in the EEC then yes you can bring more BUT they are duty paid in that country and so much more expensive than duty free. They are still cheaper than the UK but make sure you keep your shop receipt. I think they must also be for your own consumption.

Because the shops were selling as much as anyone wanted to buy in Gibralter people thought they were in the EEC and so could bring what they wanted. Back in Southampton customs were out in force - they knew which cases they wanted opening and tables were covered in packs of cigs./spirits. I believe this also applies to the Canary Islands.

I hope this helps you - many people did not understand and had their goods confiscated.

Is it the same on X?

Glenn

As a diamond plus on rcl you will get elite on x but make sure you check the elite status shows on your cruise docs as elite get priority embarkation. If it doesn't show ring x to sort it and update your online docs

As a diamond plus on rcl you will get elite on x but make sure you check the elite status shows on your cruise docs as elite get priority embarkation. If it doesn't show ring x to sort it and update your online docs

Thank you.......

g

Not really a secret but as stated before, the "refrigerators" in the room are coolers. We always keep the cabinet door open so that the interior doesn't get so hot (no circulation with the door closed). It doe help keep the refrig cooler than having the cabinet door closed. Tell your room attendant so that he doesn't close it while you are away from your room.

Monica

Better yet, go to Cafe El Bacio or whatever it is called and get their free finger sandwiches or pastries and take to your room. Yummy, did it everyday.

Is it necessary to have one of the drink packages to do this or is this available to everyone?

Is it necessary to have one of the drink packages to do this or is this available to everyone?

The finger food is free, the coffees are extra.

With regard to the Specialty Restaurant wine/dine packages the included bottle of wine carries a $35 "credit" in the event you want to deviate from the somewhat-limited list on the package. For instance, two nights we wished to upgrade to different wines available in the MDR, but not on the inclusive list in Murano's. One night we ordered a $51 bottle of wine off the MDR list and paid a $16 upgrade charge. Another night we ordered a $36 bottle of Celebrity's Cellarmaster Cabernet, thus a $1 upgrade fee. This offers terrific flexibility if you're a picky wine drinker and you find the package list too limited and/or restrictive. ;)

Let me begin bat saying no, I can not change our flight due to the fare restriction - loyalty points. My wife and I have a 10:10 flight on Lufthansa out of FCO June 12.

Please advise what is the earliest disembarkation for passengers carrying off their own luggage.

Can you please recommend a reliable taxi/limo company for pre-aerranged pick-up at the port?

Thanks,

Jon

Is it the same on X?

Glenn

The coupons on Celebrity are much better than on Royal. (We're Diamond on Royal) Free internet is a big cost-saver, and the free laundry (30 items per person) is very convenient. For planning purposes, notice that the laundry coupon must be used prior to the last 2-3 days, I think. Still was a good way to get socks, pj's etc. washed mid-cruise.

Let me begin bat saying no, I can not change our flight due to the fare restriction - loyalty points. My wife and I have a 10:10 flight on Lufthansa out of FCO June 12.

Please advise what is the earliest disembarkation for passengers carrying off their own luggage.

Can you please recommend a reliable taxi/limo company for pre-aerranged pick-up at the port?

Thanks,

Jon

It would be better to start a new thread so you get more responses. I know that quite a few people on our cruise last week had flights in the 10-11:30 range. Two couples even had 8:35 flights! They told me they were getting off at 5:30, carrying their own bags and assuming everything went fine with getting the ship cleared they probably made it. I worried about them, though.

Our flight was at 12:25; we shared a car with a couple with a 10:00 (approx.) flight. We met our car at 7:15 and were easily at the aiport by 8:15. We had too much time at the airport!

When we got there, though, a flight from Rome to Chicago was delayed and all the people on that flight were being changed to later flights--as late as 6:30. This was an 11:30 flight, the flight another person in the car had. So,you never know.

We used Bob's Limo for a transfer to the ship before the cruise and Romecabs afterwards. Both were fine. Rome in Limo gets good reviews as well.

Our flight was at 12:25; we shared a car with a couple with a 10:00 (approx.) flight. We met our car at 7:15 and were easily at the aiport by 8:15. We had too much time at the airport!

When we got there, though, a flight from Rome to Chicago was delayed and all the people on that flight were being changed to later flights--as late as 6:30. This was an 11:30 flight, the flight another person in the car had. So,you never know.

We used Bob's Limo for a transfer to the ship before the cruise and Romecabs afterwards. Both were fine. Rome in Limo gets good reviews as well.

How much do the transfers (Rome Airport to port) cost? I have a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). Thanks.

We used rome in limo last week and it was 150 Euros...no traffic, we made the drive in about 45 minutes.

And yes, our flight to JFK was absolutely full with all the folks being re-routed from the chicago flight.

Below is a picture on an idea we did to keep that connection with our family and first grandchild when traveling. Grandson number two is due August 1 and for our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland, NZ, cruise on the Solstice, again!!, we will bring those family pictures to personalize and warm up our ship home. Sorry about the other "junk" showing, but it's home, right?

Also bring along some extra extension cords in order to plug in the re-chargers and other connections for our laptop, iMusic players, razor, camera battery re-charger, etc., etc. Lots of electronics are a part of families these days!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,362 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As an idea to have a little “bit of home” in your ship room, we brought along some masking tape and pictures of our first and new grandson (at this point, eight months old). Then, as shown below, they are put up on the room wall around the flat-screen TV. Great to have that connection as we traveled in the Med, around Italy, up the Croatian Coast, etc. Also bring some of the yellow “post it” reminder notes to help keep our schedules correct, remember our “to-do’s”, upcoming events, etc.:

SolsticeFamilyPixWall2.jpg

Archived