Where to stay for a few days precruise?

jtdlmc

We are planning to fly in 4 days prior to our cruise. We will rent a car in order to check out the area. We're hoping there are more affordable priced hotels (less than $100/night) near a beach outside the immediate Miami area. Any recommendations?

We are cruising in April 2013 as well. Flying into and staying in FLL pre cruise and sailing out of Miami.

Here are the names of three Mom & Pop style beach hotels. They are in Ft Lauderdale but the rates are so much better than Miami. They are not flashy or full service hotels but seem to have decent reviews. I got the names of the hotels from this board.

The Alhambra --- http://alhambrabeachresort.com/index.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d1201452-Reviews-Alhambra_Beach_Resort-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

The Avalon Waterfront ---- http://www.waterfrontinns.com/

Bahia Cabana-Days Inn ---- http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/florida/ft-lauderdale/days-inn-ft.-lauderdale-bahia-cabana/hotel-overview

The Prmiere Hotel --- http://www.premierehotel.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d224802-Reviews-Premiere_Hotel-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

The Alhambra and The Premiere Hotel did seem to have the best ratings by TripAdvisor.

Good luck to you.

:):)

We are cruising in April 2013 as well. Flying into and staying in FLL pre cruise and sailing out of Miami.

Hey, I just noticed in your sig that you are going on the Liberty April 13, 2013 - that's the cruise we'll be on as well!!! There's a roll call going if you want to have a look.

I'm gonna check out these hotel nows. Thanks :)

Hey, I just noticed in your sig that you are going on the Liberty April 13, 2013 - that's the cruise we'll be on as well!!! There's a roll call going if you want to have a look.

I'm gonna check out these hotel nows. Thanks :)

Thank you. We will check into the roll call.

We will probably work half day on Fri 4/12 then take an evening flight into FLL from Indy. Here are 3 more hotels that we have looked into.

The ultimate decision will be the rates when they are released for 2013. Since we are flying in with no rental car, we are looking into hotels that

are within walking distance of restaurants and a store to pick-up last minute items. Some have free breakfast and airport shuttles- not a deal breaker

but a nice perk.

The Sleep Inn Dania -- Good reviews and a mile from the beach. Airport shuttle and free breakfast.

Best Western on Stirling Ave. --- Good rates (used April 2012 to get a ballpark figure) airport shuttle and breakfast

The Embassey Suites on 17th St. -- Nice hotel but will depend if we can get a good rate next year. $7 pp airport shuttle and breakfast.

See you on board.

Cari & Rick in Indy

:)

Bahia Cabana-Days Inn ---- http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/florida/ft-lauderdale/days-inn-ft.-lauderdale-bahia-cabana/hotel-overview

Good luck to you.

GOOD LORD NO!!!! That is the worst, trashiest, hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

Every single time we go to Bahia Cabana I make it a point to look inside the rooms there and they are HORRIBLE. Saggy beds, nasty carpet, gross bedspreads, peeling wallpaper, etc. Also, there isn't enough money to get me in that hot tub.

For good mom and pop inns, go to www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings in Hollywood Beach and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea.

Every single time we go to Bahia Cabana I make it a point to look inside the rooms there and they are HORRIBLE. Saggy beds, nasty carpet, gross bedspreads, peeling wallpaper, etc. Also, there isn't enough money to get me in that hot tub.

For good mom and pop inns, go to www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings in Hollywood Beach and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea.

Thanks for the heads-up. We have not stayed at any of the hotels. I compiled the list from other poster's recommendations on this board. :):)

Thanks for the heads-up. We have not stayed at any of the hotels. I compiled the list from other poster's recommendations on this board. :):)

You are welcome! Next time you are at the Bahia Cabana take a look at the rooms. You'll be horrified:D

You are welcome! Next time you are at the Bahia Cabana take a look at the rooms. You'll be horrified:D

AAAaaaa,, noooo thanks..... :eek:

We are thinking about the Embassy Suites on 17th or a couple of other hotels that have restaurants and shopping nearby. Flying in and not renting a car.

I would be totally shocked if I went to check into a place like this. I would leave and find another place QUICK.

There was a couple on here that booked a hotel in Tampa based upon the web-site cruise pkg. When they arrived, it was next to a strip club and the rooms were gosh awful dirty. The wife took lots of pictures and posted them on her review and ALSO on Trip Advisor. The bad thing about their stay, is that Tampa was having some big event and they were not able to find another hotel. They slept with their clothes on.

She did fellow CC members a great service by posting her bad experience. Here is her review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1172863&highlight=howard+johnson+dale+mabry

***** I apologize for getting off topic on this thread. It just got me to thinking how important it is when other CC`ers give a heads-up on a bad hotel.

Thanks.

:)

Hollywood looks good, lots of little hotels right on the beach at good prices, not far from Miami and lots to do in the area. It seems high and low season changes right about the time we will be going so I will wait until the rates are released for next year and decide whether to stay pre or post cruise. This year the high season for the hotels I've looked at ends between April 12-15, so if that is the case next year, there will be much lower rates post cruise. Sometimes I hate being a compulsive planner - lol :D

The rates will drop two weeks after Easter. Many here have their Easter/spring vacations the week following Easter Sunday. Easter in 2013 is on March 31. So by easily by mid April things will drop from the high winter/spring rates. Hollywood is a nice area. There are lots of small places right on the Broadwalk. A few with pools. All steps from a very nice beach. And you'll be between Miami and Ft.L so very easy to do day trips to each.

I agree here. Also don't be fooled by comments about the bar/restaurant there either. Some comments about the place being known for some famous folks coming in there don't outweigh the actual atmosphere. It's smokey (even though it is outside) and usually full of regular customers that are indifferent or unfriendly to us out of towners. I have never stayed here but I did visit the bar one time and did see into a room while house keeping was cleaning (yuck!).

Every single time we go to Bahia Cabana I make it a point to look inside the rooms there and they are HORRIBLE. ...

I must be missing something here. I have no reason to doubt your assessment of this hotel, but why on earth would you keep going back to look inside the rooms?

I'm just wondering if there is some other reason to visit this property?

I'm just wondering if there is some other reason to visit this property?

I can't speak for BH, but when I am in the Ft Lauderdale area, I stop by the bar. Friendly bartenders, its a decent place to hang out and wait for traffic to die down on my commute back to Miami.

Archived