Cunard care or other Travel Insurance

Huked

Hello all I am James. I am new to all of this, cruising and posting. Sorry if I get something wrong.

my question is this. I booked and paid for a TA on the QM2 for me and 3 family members. I declined the Cunard care thinking I can get Insurance threw my Insurance Co. If I want it, like I have in the past. I have now found threw my research that Insurance is mandatory on the QM2. I am now afraid my Insurance Co. may not be good enough. On the Cunard Q&A I seen this post.

"What are the minimum travel insurance requirements?

It is a condition of the Contract that every guest must have travel insurance in force for the entire duration of the holiday. Details of the insurance policy (which must as a minimum include medical and repatriation cover for a minimum of £2 million) must be provided at the time of booking or as soon as practicable thereafter."

I have tried to look on the web at Cunard care and it looks like the Repatriation is only $50,000. Fined it here on page 5 http://www.cunard.com/Documents/US_Insurance.pdf

This is what my Insurance Co. has.

Trip Cancellation -- Up to Trip Cost*

Trip Interruption -- 150% Trip Cost*

Missed Connection -- $500 (3 hours)

Trip Delay -- $750 ($200/ day)

Emergency Accident & Sickness -- $50,000 ($50 deductible)

Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation -- $500,000

Pet Care -- $300 ($50/day)

Baggage & Personal Effects -- $1,000**

Baggage Delay -- $300 (12 hours)

Accidental Death and Dismemberment -- $10,000

Optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment-Air Only -- Up to the Amount Purchased

Optional Renters Collision Insurance -- $50,000

Optional Cancel For Any Reason -- Up to 75% of non-refundable Trip Cost

Optional Cancel For Work Reasons -- Up to Trip Cost*

Optional Sports Coverage -- Combined Maximum $1,000

Optional Accident & Sickness Medical Expense -- $50,000

Optional Evacuation and Repatriation -- $500,000

Optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment -- $15,000

Optional Baggage Upgrade -- $1,000

In conclusion I would like to know if anyone has any idea if my insurance is good enough? Dose anyone know if there insurance is like mine and were just fine? I don't want to get to the ship and have them say not good enough. I have by the way tried to contact Cunard threw e-mail with no reply. I have also went to the link they supplied in the Q&A section to get Cunard care, if I need to and it won't let me. The site dose not have a option for the USA.

I am no expert, but I wold not risk having inadequate insurance. Not because you might be refused boarding, but because you might need it.

That said, I am sure you will be able to find an adequate policy for much less than Cunard would charge.

I think the mandatory insurance rule you quoted does not apply to US passengers.

I select a policy from insuremytrip.com within a couple of days of initial booking to get the pre-existing conditions waiver. Some people don't buy travel insurance (your US health insurance may cover you overseas, possibly on a reimbursement basis) since over time it can be cheaper not to cancellation coverage and absorb the losses if they occur.

No expert here but I have been on the QM2 without travel insurance on a least one occasion. When I book thru my travel agent, I sign a piece of paper saying I accept or decline insurance. It is my understanding that if you decline insurance at the time of booking, you cannot go back and buy it, so if you have done so, you will have to go thru your own insurance company. I do normally buy insurance and was buying thru a company recommended by my travel agent, but when I turned 62, the cost became very high and now I always book Cunard Care which was and remains, much more reasonable. I have never heard that insurance is mandatory for the QM2 for US residents, I think rules are different for UK passengers and insurance may be required for them. I am sure friends on that side of the pond will let you know. I would recommend you buy insurance.

Thank you all for quick response. I will have to look into it more. I would like to use my insurance Co, they always give me a better deal. Thanks again.:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I always arrange my own travel insurance. There are several good travel insurance companies out there, and I think they offer more (should you need it) for a lower cost than Cunard Care. Your coverage looks similar to what I get.

Before my last cruise, there was a blank to fill in with insurance info on Cunard's voyage personalizer or some such web page. I had never seen this before, and neither had people on the roll call. Someone from the roll call contacted Cunard and was told that travel insurance is not required. (at least not for pax from Australia or the US, don't remember about UK) So we all just ignored it. IIRC, that blank later disappeared from the page. I never gave Cunard my insurance info and they let us on the ship. The quote you have posted in red shows an amount in pounds. Did you get that from the UK website? Different countries may have different rules.

Contacting Cunard via email is always iffy. If you booked with a travel agent, call the agent. If you booked directly with Cunard, call their 800 number and ask some questions.

I used to decline the insurance, until I was ill one time before a voyage and I lost my payment; nothing was reimbursed. Since then I've been getting the Cunard Care. In fact, I did need it one more time, and was reimbursed promptly for my entire fare, even though I cancelled just a few days before departure.

There is a forum on insurance scroll down to the bottom of this page and see forum jump. I have seen this subject well covered on that forum. If you are leaving US side all the other reply posters seem to cover it. BUT if you are leaving UK side I think it could be different

Hello all I am James. I am new to all of this, cruising and posting. Sorry if I get something wrong.

my question is this. I booked and paid for a TA on the QM2 for me and 3 family members. I declined the Cunard care thinking I can get Insurance threw my Insurance Co. If I want it, like I have in the past. I have now found threw my research that Insurance is mandatory on the QM2. I am now afraid my Insurance Co. may not be good enough. On the Cunard Q&A I seen this post.

"What are the minimum travel insurance requirements?

It is a condition of the Contract that every guest must have travel insurance in force for the entire duration of the holiday. Details of the insurance policy (which must as a minimum include medical and repatriation cover for a minimum of £2 million) must be provided at the time of booking or as soon as practicable thereafter."

I have tried to look on the web at Cunard care and it looks like the Repatriation is only $50,000. Fined it here on page 5 http://www.cunard.com/Documents/US_Insurance.pdf

This is what my Insurance Co. has.

Trip Cancellation -- Up to Trip Cost*

Trip Interruption -- 150% Trip Cost*

Missed Connection -- $500 (3 hours)

Trip Delay -- $750 ($200/ day)

Emergency Accident & Sickness -- $50,000 ($50 deductible)

Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation -- $500,000

Pet Care -- $300 ($50/day)

Baggage & Personal Effects -- $1,000**

Baggage Delay -- $300 (12 hours)

Accidental Death and Dismemberment -- $10,000

Optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment-Air Only -- Up to the Amount Purchased

Optional Renters Collision Insurance -- $50,000

Optional Cancel For Any Reason -- Up to 75% of non-refundable Trip Cost

Optional Cancel For Work Reasons -- Up to Trip Cost*

Optional Sports Coverage -- Combined Maximum $1,000

Optional Accident & Sickness Medical Expense -- $50,000

Optional Evacuation and Repatriation -- $500,000

Optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment -- $15,000

Optional Baggage Upgrade -- $1,000

In conclusion I would like to know if anyone has any idea if my insurance is good enough? Dose anyone know if there insurance is like mine and were just fine? I don't want to get to the ship and have them say not good enough. I have by the way tried to contact Cunard threw e-mail with no reply. I have also went to the link they supplied in the Q&A section to get Cunard care, if I need to and it won't let me. The site dose not have a option for the USA.

Your policy looks pretty good. Definately check elsewhere other than Cunard(too many loopholes)Not all is perfect, however. We had a good policy, but on our QV trip(in Jan.) my partner had issues with kidney function. He had a transplant s a few years back & really got dehydrated. The Dr. on QV did a great job with an IV drip & he was up & going about in a day or so. It still cost $1400 for everything. The insurance claimed it was "preexisting". We could have fought(and probably won)but his medfical insurance did cover the bill.

We had a good policy, but on our QV trip(in Jan.) my partner had issues with kidney function. He had a transplant s a few years back & really got dehydrated. The Dr. on QV did a great job with an IV drip & he was up & going about in a day or so. It still cost $1400 for everything. The insurance claimed it was "preexisting". We could have fought(and probably won)but his medfical insurance did cover the bill.

Well, perhaps this is another difference between the UK and US, but over here pre-existing means exactly that, ie anything related to a previous condition, so the insurer's stance would seem to be not unreasonable:confused:. Unless, of course, it had been declared and cover agreed prior to travel.

Mary

There are ususally definitions for pre-existing conditions that are more specific than that. If the traveler hasn't had a change in medication or seen a doctor for the condition for a certain period it doesn't meet the standard of a pre-existing condition for at least some insurers. Even taking medication for a condition is OK if thedrug and dosage have been stable for some period of time.

Here's the pre-existing definition for the insurance for my mst recent trip (Seven Corners Insurance):

Pre-Existing Condition: means any injury, sickness or condition of You, or Your Traveling Companion, Your Family Member booked to travel with You for which within the sixty (60) day period prior to the Effective Date of Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy (a) first manifested itself or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Physician.
So if things are stable, even a kidney transplant is not necessarily a pre-existing condition.

In the US the term Pre-ex has been attacked and redefined so many times that it is a shadow of its former self, in some ways it is good as everyone over there needs medical insurance so the cover needs to be broad. The corollary of that weakening is that the cost of insurance is now so high to pay for the increased claim costs that almost 20% of US residents cannot afford the coverage.

In the US the term Pre-ex has been attacked and redefined so many times that it is a shadow of its former self, in some ways it is good as everyone over there needs medical insurance so the cover needs to be broad. The corollary of that weakening is that the cost of insurance is now so high to pay for the increased claim costs that almost 20% of US residents cannot afford the coverage.

I was talking about travel insurance, not primary medical coverage. And believe me, the "pre-exisisting condition" clause is alive and well in that sector of the insurance business.

I was talking about travel insurance, not primary medical coverage. And believe me, the "pre-exisisting condition" clause is alive and well in that sector of the insurance business.

I realise that you were referring to travel medex but the same weakening has taken place there although we are dealing with smaller premiums.

There are ususally definitions for pre-existing conditions that are more specific than that. If the traveler hasn't had a change in medication or seen a doctor for the condition for a certain period it doesn't meet the standard of a pre-existing condition for at least some insurers. Even taking medication for a condition is OK if thedrug and dosage have been stable for some period of time.

Here's the pre-existing definition for the insurance for my mst recent trip (Seven Corners Insurance):So if things are stable, even a kidney transplant is not necessarily a pre-existing condition.

True, but because of the transplant, this minor condition caused more problems than otherwise would have happened. I had the same bug, but was not nearly as affected. In our insurance policy the Dr. certified that Richard was safe for travel. We could have fought it, but his health insurance covered the bill.

For our upcoming trip I tried the company Cunard have on their website. For 14 night, for 2 of us they wanted about £150. I added various pre-existing conditions and they price went up to £350 !!

I then tried a major insurance company on line, declared everything and it came out at £50. I rang them to make sure it was correct and they confirmed it was.

I have gotten the insurance from vacations to go and found it to be very good. I do not know if it is overly expensive compared to other polices. I collected on the policies twice. Once because of an accident before a cruise and the other while on a vacation. They always paid me correctly according to the policy after they received the documentation. They use CSA insurance.

For our upcoming trip I tried the company Cunard have on their website. For 14 night, for 2 of us they wanted about £150. I added various pre-existing conditions and they price went up to £350 !!

I then tried a major insurance company on line, declared everything and it came out at £50. I rang them to make sure it was correct and they confirmed it was.

Please make sure that you get your pre-existing conditions covered in writing.

We arranged very competitively priced annual travel insurance to cover USA travel as well as Europe a couple of years ago. My husband definitely asked during the phone call whether his Crohns Disease was covered for the USA as, obviously, it was important. He was assured that it was.

We only found out when renewing the insurance the following year that he had not been covered at all :eek::eek::eek:. We were told (during the renewal conversation) that we should have received something in writing but we never did. We still go hot and cold thinking of what could have happened if he had had a flare up during our two months in the US.

Please make sure that you get your pre-existing conditions covered in writing.

Wise words indeed and your post made me check again ( I printed it all off as soon as I'd paid the premium ).

It's all there is writing on the policy document with our names etc.

I think it's like any form of insurance really ( car, house etc ); companies charge what they can get away with because they know an awful lot of people wont bother to look elsewhere, so they get away with it.

My husband definitely asked during the phone call whether his Crohns Disease was covered for the USA as, obviously, it was important. He was assured that it was.

Similar thing happened to a relative who has UC.

When she had to cancel and they told her she wasn't covered, we made them find the taped telephone conversation. They paid out...

Mary

Good news Toad but I am very glad that you have checked.

Mary - we too would have tried to have them check the call if we had needed to claim but they might no longer have had it as we had booked the insurance in February for a holiday in August-October.

Very glad to hear that it worked out for your relative though.

Archived