Jelly fish problem in May?

sarleo

My husband and I are anticipating our Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda on May 13th. I am concerned that we will not be able to swim, snorkel or walk on the beach because of the mon o war jelly fish. in April of 1990 we spent a week there and the organisms were so numerous that the lifeguards could not rake them up fast enough. Has anyone had any problems? I am hoping the massive influx was a strange occurrence in 1990. Thanks for any help. I know that I will have a great time even if I can't swim! :)

There's really not a way to tell when there will be lots since they have no independent means of propulsion and either drift on the currents or catch the wind with their gas filled bladders, the part that floats above the water. Not sure, but there may be times when they are more prevelent. One of the locals who post here could probably answer that.

We have been the first week in May the past two years. Each year there were Man o Wars. Last year Tobacco Bay was actually closed until they could get the beach cleaned up from them. Apprarently a big storm the evening previous had stirred them up.

We were still able to swim & snorkel both years. Just be very careful. Luckily they stick out above water so you have some advance warning if you do see one.

There were a few of them on Horseshoe Bay Beach in June '09 - enough that I was scared to swim, although there were certainly many others in the water.

I'll be there again in a few weeks and was hoping it was just a one-off thing - I guess I should plan on potentially staying out of the water again! :(

My husband and I are anticipating our Celebrity Summit cruise to Bermuda on May 13th. I am concerned that we will not be able to swim, snorkel or walk on the beach because of the mon o war jelly fish. in April of 1990 we spent a week there and the organisms were so numerous that the lifeguards could not rake them up fast enough. Has anyone had any problems? I am hoping the massive influx was a strange occurrence in 1990. Thanks for any help. I know that I will have a great time even if I can't swim! :)

No way to predict. Been there in May when there were none to be seen and been there when they had a bunch. However never been able to snorkle or be in the water much in May anyway because the water was too cold for me. if you are going to go to a Bermuda beach in May Horseshoe is the best one to visit in my opinion because they do have life guards who keep a watch for them, close the beach if they are many, and they also clean them off the beach. Plus if by any chance you do get stung they know what to do.

Archived