Epic Solo Sail - November or December 2012?

cjknick

I'm doing it. Biting the bullet and finally taking that Caribbean cruise...

I've been stalking CC for a few years with hopes of one day being in the position of actually GOING. the stars have aligned and I can hardly believe I'm near making the reservation... Eeeeks! So excited, apprehensive, nervous, all that stuff but I'm ready.

I've decided to cruise the NCL Epic. The solo accommodations are very attractive & I'm less than thrilled having to

pay the single supplements that most cruiselines are charging. I like what I've read about the Epic & solo

traveler so I think it's perfect for me, especially being my first cruise ever.

I've always wanted to do sun and sea for my first cruise (followed by Alaska sometime down the road) & it seems

like the Eastern Caribbean it will be. I'm totally good with that. I have a few options of which dates to book,

although they do all revolve around a holiday. I'm really trying to decide between the first two options but have

no clue what the pro's/cons of each option would be. I don't need any holiday shin-dig; these chosen dates are purely availability driven (read: sans kids).

My goals: To rest. To be pampered. To lounge, soak the sun, have cocktails :) Bonus would be to meet great

friends, taken in some exiting excursions, dance, laugh. Pamper more.

I would prefer a more adult population and I realize that's silly because of my chosen travel dates, but I've also

read that there are adult only areas and when I want to expose myself to kids, I can. After all, I'm not a kid-hater, lol; just leaving my two behind and for a purpose :)

Spa, spa, spa. Maybe the spa pass? BUT, in addition... I want to indulge in the spa-a couple/few of massages over the days, and one full day of pampering (probably 1st full day at sea). I hope they have some great masseuc'es; male is preferred. If I were to outline a customized package for myself, would there be any negotiation on a customized price for that said package or is that pretty much just black & white? Please let the spa be a delightful place!

I want to have cocktails at my fingertips :) Don't get me wrong, I'm far from a lush BUT I've also had to set a

good example for the last nearly 20 years and this is my time to do whatever I want, whenever I want and I know

that will average a couple of cocktails/day. Again, is there such a thing as saying "I know I will drink $xyz in

premium cocktails; can I prepay a card at say a 10% savings?" and them honoring that.

Ok, now onto my main dilemma... What date(s) shall I chose to sail? The options I've listed below sail the same itinerary with a studio cabin reservation: Miami, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, Nassau, Bahamas

Option 1: Depart November 17-24, 2012. This is Thanksgiving week. I'm thinking that maybe there won't be as many kids on these dates because not all kids get a week for a Thanksgiving break? I don't know that; simply a guess. $1145ish (includes taxes/fees). What's the extra $150 on top of the (non Holiday) going rate gonna get me, lol? Is the increased rate because of the holiday? What would be special about a holiday cruise over Thanksgiving? I suppose this would be considered "peak season"?

Option 2: Depart December 29-January 5, 2013. This is over New Year's. $1,395ish. Yikes, that's quite a hike over the going (non holiday) rate of $1000ish... Why would I want to spend $400 more on this particular cruise/dates? I suppose this would be considered "peak season", too? What would be special about a holiday cruise over New Years?

Option 3: Depart December 22-29, 2012. Date-wise for me this is the best pick but I'm sure the ship will be full of kids & families, too. And here we go again... $1,345ish. What will pull me over to pay nearly $400 more for these particular cruise dates and pay the higher "peak season" prices? Again, most likely the increased rate is because of the holiday? What would be special about a holiday cruise over Christmas?

So, anyone have any insight with assisting me with the decision as to which one of these options might better over another that I haven't yet identified?

Note of {NON}consideration (lol): Ultimately the December 15 embarkment ($1,015ish) is appealing to me even tho I'm not how sure I want to be on the ocean on December 22nd, lol. Never really gave it much attention before this :) But that's before the kidlet will be on holiday with school so not really too much of an option.

If you've read this far, thanks much.

Cindy

Boise, ID

bump...

Hi Cindy,

The when is pretty simple from my perspective. Take the least expensive cruise that works for you. That'll leave you more to spend on board, and there's nothing really that special about cruising alone on particular dates.

You'll have no trouble finding bars that will be happy to meet your cocktail interests. Although they don't have a discount card, they do have martini, margarita, wine and beer tastings on sea days. As I recall from a my January cruise, there are only a couple of those on this itinerary, but the tastings are a good value and you'll probably taste drinks you've never had before.

I'd also recommend the solo get-together in the studio living room at 5:30 p.m. each day. Be especially sure to go the first night. It's a chance to meet an adult population you might want to hang around with. It's also a chance to find dinner and show companions, and the cruise director's rep will probably be setting up events for the solos. When I went, she set up a couple of dinners, a lunch at teppanyaki, and an ice bar get-together. It was a lot of fun.

I think you'll enjoy the Epic. Try to take advantage of as much as you can of what it offers.

I agree with Dublell. The prices are simply because of the season and it's their busiest time. The ship will definitely be full, so be ready for that.

I would suggest that you get onboard early and buy a Posh Pass which is for an adult-only sundeck. There's a bar there and it will be quiet and you'll always be able to get a lounger.

I'm in a studio October 21-Nov 3rd for the transatlantic, and will have more pointers there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Cindy,

The when is pretty simple from my perspective. Take the least expensive cruise that works for you. That'll leave you more to spend on board, and there's nothing really that special about cruising alone on particular dates.

You'll have no trouble finding bars that will be happy to meet your cocktail interests. Although they don't have a discount card, they do have martini, margarita, wine and beer tastings on sea days. As I recall from a my January cruise, there are only a couple of those on this itinerary, but the tastings are a good value and you'll probably taste drinks you've never had before.

I'd also recommend the solo get-together in the studio living room at 5:30 p.m. each day. Be especially sure to go the first night. It's a chance to meet an adult population you might want to hang around with. It's also a chance to find dinner and show companions, and the cruise director's rep will probably be setting up events for the solos. When I went, she set up a couple of dinners, a lunch at teppanyaki, and an ice bar get-together. It was a lot of fun.

I think you'll enjoy the Epic. Try to take advantage of as much as you can of what it offers.

dublell, I like your thinking! And I'll be all over the solo gathering the first and second day for sure.

I'm looking forward to the entertainment, too. Did you make your reservations for the shows before you cruised or wait? I see pro's & con's to doing either one.

Thanks much!

Cindy

I agree with Dublell. The prices are simply because of the season and it's their busiest time. The ship will definitely be full, so be ready for that.

I would suggest that you get onboard early and buy a Posh Pass which is for an adult-only sundeck. There's a bar there and it will be quiet and you'll always be able to get a lounger.

I'm in a studio October 21-Nov 3rd for the transatlantic, and will have more pointers there.

Wow, transatlantic! I think I'll see how I like my first 7-dayer before I can even think that big :) I'd love to hear how it went and how you liked this ship after your return. Thanks for offering.

I'll have to check out the Posh Pass. I know I'll be heading for the spa appointment desk first thing when on-board :) I want my first day of pampering to be day 2 which is also a full day at sea. I've read that there are some "lounge hoggers" on the sundeck. I hope that's not the case.

Thanks for responding, SuiteCruiser. I'm getting excited already for both of us :)

Cindy

Well today was my big day. I bit the bullet and booked my solo cabin Thanksgiving cruise today on the EPIC. I've pondered long enough!

I was really hoping for some on board credit but I took the offer of the $400 value e-coupon book. I hope it's got some stuff in there I'll use and will be worthwhile :)

Thank you both for your input. I'll be taking advantage of everything I'm interested in and am really excited for just some R&R.

Cindy

Well today was my big day. I bit the bullet and booked my solo cabin Thanksgiving cruise today on the EPIC. I've pondered long enough!

I was really hoping for some on board credit but I took the offer of the $400 value e-coupon book. I hope it's got some stuff in there I'll use and will be worthwhile :)

Thank you both for your input. I'll be taking advantage of everything I'm interested in and am really excited for just some R&R.

Cindy

Very exciting!! So happy for you. I'm leaving the husband and kids at home too, so it will be a cruise all about me, so I completely get where you're coming from :)

congrats and I hope you have a wonderful time!!! I'm doing a solo to Alaska and a solo to Europe. I will likely do a solo on the Epic to the Carribean next year. I hope you do a review, I would love to see what you thought of your experience. have a great time!!! :D

Bear in mind that your multiple massages and drinking plans could easily add $500 or more to the cost of your cruise.

At least.

6 drinks a day X $8 a drink (including tax and tip) X 7 days = $336 bar tab alone. And when I cruise it's closer to 10-12 drinks a day. But that's why I smuggle :)

The spa prices are probably even more egregiously inflated than the bar prices. The bar prices are actually somewhat comparable to what you'd pay in a restaurant or bar in a big city. But on our last cruise we paid $350 for one very mediocre couples massage (including tax, tip, and automatic 20% gratuity). We could have had a much better massage for half the price at home. If you're on any sort of budget, don't expect to spend too much time in the spa.

Cindy

From what I've read in several recent threads the coupon book is virtually worthless. It's stuff like "10% of a $500 art purchase" or "spend $250 on photographs, get 1 free." You would need to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on stuff you probably don't want to save anywhere near $400. The only remotely worthwhile coupon I saw was a 2-for-1 cover charge at a specialty restaurant. You should do a search for some of the recent threads. People have uploaded copies of the coupons so you know what you're getting (or not getting) :)

EDIT: After re-reading what I wrote, I realized I came across as a Debbie Downer. Sorry, I just wanted you to give you a heads up. On the upside, you can probably get some OBC if you rebook with a TA. And fares may come down. Keep searching around. It's free to cancel and rebook with a different TA, or to transfer your reservation, until your final payment is due. Also, if you plan to drink a lot, you can defray costs with Rum Runners. Although we still end up running up about a $200 bar tab for a week (for two people).

Archived