packing for an alaska cruise?

grandmamlw

We will be cruising to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas on May 25 Northbound and B2B on June 1 Southbound. I know the weather can be very iffy early in the season, rainy or cold. We live in Hawaii and don't have any winter or cold weather clothing ie coats. Do you think we will need winter coats or will light weight jackets and fleece sweatshirts do? We could do several layers with what we have or should be spend the money to order winter coats. We should be able to get good deals on winter aparel this time of year. But do you think we will need them? Do you think we will get any use from our shorts or should we stick to long pants? I have always cruised to warmer areas. Maybe someone out there has done the Alaska thing in the past.

I think light weight fleece will do OK, if you don't do any glacier touring - that is walking at higher elevation, on the ice or in the snow, and you have at least 2 warm layers underneath. That is for the standard cooler weather. Hopefully you will hit a mild or warm spell.

I wouldn't be ordering winter coats. Just plan for layering.

Happen to be in Wailea right now. Definitely not bundled up.

We will be cruising to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas on May 25 Northbound and B2B on June 1 Southbound. I know the weather can be very iffy early in the season, rainy or cold. We live in Hawaii and don't have any winter or cold weather clothing ie coats. Do you think we will need winter coats or will light weight jackets and fleece sweatshirts do? We could do several layers with what we have or should be spend the money to order winter coats. We should be able to get good deals on winter aparel this time of year. But do you think we will need them? Do you think we will get any use from our shorts or should we stick to long pants? I have always cruised to warmer areas. Maybe someone out there has done the Alaska thing in the past.
You should be fine with multiple layers. A long-sleeved knit shirt, a layer of fleece over it, topped with a light weight windbreaker would be ideal.

The standard advice when dressing for Alaska is layer, layer, layer.

It is also good to have some kind of head covering that won't blow off for wind protection when you are out on deck while the ship is moving.

It looks like the first Alaska port you hit will be Ketchikan, which has a big Tongass general store right on the dock that sells all sorts of Alaska clothing at very reasonable prices. So if you should find you need anything more, it will be easy to pick it up there.

You don't really need shorts for an Alaska cruise, but if you think you would like to wear them on a warm day, a pair of shorts would take up very little room in your suitcase.

Plan on layering, however that being said..... I get cold very easy but last year on our Alaskan Cruise (end of August), I found myself wearing one warm shirt or sweater and my lightweight jacket. Never needed another layer, but glad I had them there just in case.

Make sure your jacket is also a rain jacket as it rains a lot up there.

Have fun and enjoy

I think you should leave the shorts at home. Since you live in a warm climate, what is "warm" to folks in the North (I'm in Wisconsin) and in Alaska will be chilly to you!

But I wouldn't go out and buy winter coats...just take lots of layers, and be ready to shed a sweatshirt when it does get warmer, which will usually happen when you're on land, in one of the towns.

If you can find a pair of gloves, that would be possibly the only purchase I'd make in your situation. We found them to be quite nice on those cold days when we were on deck and glacier-watching.

I did not take my winter coat on my late-May Alaska cruise. I took layers.

And we hit some freakishly warm (for the place and time) weather - walking on shore in a short-sleeved t-shirt! Did need long sleeves and layers when out on the water, though.

As mentioned above, mittens/gloves and a knit cap are a very good idea if you're going to spend time out on deck on a day when the ship goes near the glacier (and especially if you're planning to take an excursion that takes you to a glacier).

I am from the South, have lived in HI and cruised AK in late May / early Jun. As others have pointed out layers are better than a big coat or parka. You lose 50% of your body temp through your head so a warm hat is a must. Also long thermal underwear for your legs is, for us warm weather dwellers a good idea.

Finally a good digital camera with a zoom lense and good quality lightweight compact binos. It's best go have binos for everyone in your party as you will not enjoy sharing.

Thanks for all the suggetions! Layers it is and a scarf and mittens. Thanks again.This will be my 19th and 20th cruise most on RCCL. Love cruising but have never ventured to Alaska as I am originally from Ohio and moved to Hawaii to get away from the cold. Thanks again!

Archived