Concordia Salvage decision made: refloat and tow!

PelicanBill

Tonka ... £350 million is around $500 million and £500 million is around $650/700 million depending on the bank rate.

rubicondsrv .... where did you get the cradle info from ? or is that a guess at something you think may happen ? i am not sure that Sestri or Palomera would be able to accomodate Concordia but i will try contact a friend who works at Fincantieri and ask!

OK.my error.I messed up on the exchange rates.but I still think its not financally likely to happen!

I am looking forward to see the details on the righting and lifting plan.

And yes.........just where did the cradle idea come from.........that would possibly work in that you float the wreck with the cradle secured on the bottom, float it all onto the flat deck of the drtdock!

now is the idea of the drydock part of the planor just talk here on the blog? Like I said, this has to be a massive and drydocks don't do well at sea!

AKK

From what I read, the insurance may not have covered some of the furnishings, and decor, some of which included expensive paintings which will undoubtedly be restored if they have not already been stolen.

I would also expect the propellers to be sold back to carnival if undamaged

Costa itself never owned the ship but leased it from the carnival holding corporation that owns all of the carnival brands.

as far as supporting the ship in a drydock, it appears that a cradle will be built on the seabed to roll it onto befor it is patched, so I would assume that a similar structure could be built in a graving dock or floating drydock.

Though I dont see why one would bother to bring the drydock to the ship, when the ship can be towed to the palomera or Sestri Ponente shipyards where it is likely to end up anyway for the duration of any examinations

Can you tell us where you got the plan details?

well as far as paintings go...they better of had thwem removed form the water by now or I am pretty sure they are destroyed, if only in the sea air and moisture and not under water.

The propellars could be salvaged, but they are only a few $100,000,peanuts in the overall money involved.

Usually ships are owned by individual holding companies to limit liabillity...ei in case of a major oil spill,liablility is limited to the value of the vessel.

Someone else brought up the drydock idea.....its not totally impossible.but yes.towing would be alot easier.

It also possible they may just take the wreck to deep water and sink it.

All this is guess work right now....

AKK

I just found on a trade blog....the cost of the contract is $288,000,000....

The contract plan still needs to be approved by the Italian authorities. In addtion as with all these recoveries......changes to the operation will also have to be approved. Yes there will be changes....there always are.

AKK

Celebrity fan ' date=' you so want the ship to be repaired and for your sake if no other reasons, I really hope somehow they do!...but littlesteelo is so right.....its just not ecomonically likely to happen!

AKK[/quote']

I hope so too - but we don't need to speculate, we will see what happens.

Can you tell us where you got the plan details?

AKK

It was in one of the news articles about the contract being awarded, so it may be completely inaccurate, so far no official plan has been presented to any news sources as far as i know.

As for the paintings, yes they would likely look ruined, but unless fish ate large pieces of them they are likely salvageable, provided they are worth the cost of restoration.

It was in one of the news articles about the contract being awarded, so it may be completely inaccurate, so far no official plan has been presented to any news sources as far as i know.

As for the paintings, yes they would likely look ruined, but unless fish ate large pieces of them they are likely salvageable, provided they are worth the cost of restoration.

See........you learn somthing every day!.I would thought the water damage would have made the paintings unrepairable...Thanks for the info!

AKK

If I am reading the translation correctly, they are basicly building a floatation cocoon around the hull and will tow her away while in the floatation cocoon.........well that ends the drydock question......

I hope we will be able to see photos of the progress over the next 10-11 months.

AKK

Sorry the translation leaves a lot to be desired, but at least its quite quick after yesterdays meeting.

Providing they dont switch off the webcams, we should be able to follow the operation on the Giglio News website which should be interesting.

The report I posted does say that there is a video presentation as to how the operation will take place which they will post in the next few days, if they do I will post it ASAP.

Hope all this helps everybody.

Clive

Sorry the translation leaves a lot to be desired, but at least its quite quick after yesterdays meeting.

Providing they dont switch off the webcams, we should be able to follow the operation on the Giglio News website which should be interesting.

The report I posted does say that there is a video presentation as to how the operation will take place which they will post in the next few days, if they do I will post it ASAP.

Hope all this helps everybody.

Clive

Thanks for posting the info/details Clive!.....this should prove interesting...AKK

For anyone who needs it here is the link to the webcams.

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

There are 2 cameras of interest ,one showing a shot from above the port showing the wreck and another from the port. There is also one camera on the ferry but this doesnt appear to be working at the moment.

Best Wishes

Clive

"basicly building a floatation cocoon around the hull and will tow her away while in the floatation cocoon.........well that ends the drydock question......"

Tonka ... that may well be the Cradle that rubicondsrv mentioned!

Clive and Anne ... thanks for the info.

The wreck could be removed within the next month of January / February. This is what emerged from the meeting today in the Isola del Giglio which the Government Commissioner Gabrielli, AD Foschi, Costa Cruises and Admiral Tortora gave citizens the islanders first summary information on the proposed removal of the wreck of the Costa Concordia presented by the Italian-American Consortium Micoperi-Titan.

The conditional is obviously a must at least until, in the coming days, will be formally signed contracts with two companies specialized in the field that they will cooperate in the project to 50%, specificity of each in its field.

It 'was selected to the proposal more expensive but at the same time provides the best guarantees in terms of reliability and success. It will be a game worth 300 million dollars that will take the path already in the month of June when the relevant Italian institutions have provided, in the Conference Services, the relevant and necessary authorizations.

Those present at the meeting were shown a short video explanation of the removal project that we hope to publish in the coming days, once the designation will be formalized.

In a nutshell, the project includes a concrete piling on the water (or that will emerge in a little way) between the ship and the mainland that serve to ensure the stability and anchoring of the ship. This will be the first intervention in terms of time will be started as soon as installed on site.

Then we will proceed to the installation of a false bottom on the left side via removable diving platforms that will rest on steel poles and which will form the future base of the wreck.

Subsequently or simultaneously with the creation of platforms will be installed caissons entire left side of the ship that will be fixed with hydraulic jacks to the diving platforms. Through the jacks you can turn the ship through the gradual shifting and millimetric. The caissons at the same time the structure will ensure that regardless of buoyancy so the condition of the hull.

Once straightened the ship will proceed to the installation of the same type of cells floating on the starboard. Positioned so the entire structure of external buoyancy can tow the boat to the port of destination.

Where it will impact on the seabed with piles it will be the contracting consortium restore marine habitat monitoring the situation existing in a span that reaches even up to 2018.

The site will employ a minimum of 50 to a maximum of 100 people that will be hosted on independent platforms or in the hotel accommodation on the island according to the needs of tourist accommodation. The resources used in operations will be based at the nearest port facilities, or to Civitavecchia.

Our port, they assured everyone, will not be affected by the operations and all activities will be carried out independently without affecting the transit of ferries and pleasure craft

Take it with a margin of error had just explained everything. We will be more precise in the next day when we will be holding the cards and documents

The wreck could be removed within the next month of January / February. This is what emerged from the meeting today in the Isola del Giglio which the Government Commissioner Gabrielli, AD Foschi, Costa Cruises and Admiral Tortora gave citizens the islanders first summary information on the proposed removal of the wreck of the Costa Concordia presented by the Italian-American Consortium Micoperi-Titan.

The conditional is obviously a must at least until, in the coming days, will be formally signed contracts with two companies specialized in the field that they will cooperate in the project to 50%, specificity of each in its field.

It 'was selected to the proposal more expensive but at the same time provides the best guarantees in terms of reliability and success. It will be a game worth 300 million dollars that will take the path already in the month of June when the relevant Italian institutions have provided, in the Conference Services, the relevant and necessary authorizations.

Those present at the meeting were shown a short video explanation of the removal project that we hope to publish in the coming days, once the designation will be formalized.

In a nutshell, the project includes a concrete piling on the water (or that will emerge in a little way) between the ship and the mainland that serve to ensure the stability and anchoring of the ship. This will be the first intervention in terms of time will be started as soon as installed on site.

Then we will proceed to the installation of a false bottom on the left side via removable diving platforms that will rest on steel poles and which will form the future base of the wreck.

Subsequently or simultaneously with the creation of platforms will be installed caissons entire left side of the ship that will be fixed with hydraulic jacks to the diving platforms. Through the jacks you can turn the ship through the gradual shifting and millimetric. The caissons at the same time the structure will ensure that regardless of buoyancy so the condition of the hull.

Once straightened the ship will proceed to the installation of the same type of cells floating on the starboard. Positioned so the entire structure of external buoyancy can tow the boat to the port of destination.

Where it will impact on the seabed with piles it will be the contracting consortium restore marine habitat monitoring the situation existing in a span that reaches even up to 2018.

The site will employ a minimum of 50 to a maximum of 100 people that will be hosted on independent platforms or in the hotel accommodation on the island according to the needs of tourist accommodation. The resources used in operations will be based at the nearest port facilities, or to Civitavecchia.

Our port, they assured everyone, will not be affected by the operations and all activities will be carried out independently without affecting the transit of ferries and pleasure craft

Take it with a margin of error had just explained everything. We will be more precise in the next day when we will be holding the cards and documents

based on that, what I called a cradle is the "false bottom" structure they are describing. it sounds like they are going to suspend the ship between two floating Assembly or barges to reduce the amount of underwater repairs needed.

The removal is only part of the process, once they put it in a drydock of some sort, it must be stripped of passanger items, and will likely be subjected to prolonged inspections before final disposal.

The statment in the reuters article i posted yesterday that it will be dismantled in italy rather than somewhere like alang suggests to me that Fincantieri may want to dismantle the ship themselves in order to asses the performance of the design.

In commercial aviation, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to acquire parts of wrecks involving their products once official investigations are done with the wreck.

"basicly building a floatation cocoon around the hull and will tow her away while in the floatation cocoon.........well that ends the drydock question......"

Tonka ... that may well be the Cradle that rubicondsrv mentioned!

Clive and Anne ... thanks for the info.

Morning sidari...you are perfectly correct.....the cocoon could be the cradle...........either way........its a most interesting way to try and float her. They are talking about towing it away just with the floatation. there is no mention of bring in a drydock.

AKK

based on that, what I called a cradle is the "false bottom" structure they are describing. it sounds like they are going to suspend the ship between two floating Assembly or barges to reduce the amount of underwater repairs needed.

The removal is only part of the process, once they put it in a drydock of some sort, it must be stripped of passanger items, and will likely be subjected to prolonged inspections before final disposal.

The statment in the reuters article i posted yesterday that it will be dismantled in italy rather than somewhere like alang suggests to me that Fincantieri may want to dismantle the ship themselves in order to asses the performance of the design.

In commercial aviation, it is not uncommon for manufacturers to acquire parts of wrecks involving their products once official investigations are done with the wreck.

Morning there.....Rubicondrv

It sure does appear to be the same cradle = Cocoon...I missed the dismantling part of the article........Dismantling is not a easy thing in the western world......its involves alot of proper disposel of hasardous waste.etc...(in alang .its basicely just tear the thing apart).but I am sure there must be a yard in Italy to handle it.

While I am sure Fincantieri would not want to dismantle the wreck themselves (unless they own a wrecking yard somewhere), as it would not be done in one of the biulding yards. A wrecking yard is a specialized set up, as is the building yards. They each do a very different operations.

AKK

PS.I have not been in Civilavika (SPL?) in 30 years, does Fincantieri have a yard there?.or any shipyard there?......

Tonka ... Not sure if you meant Civitavecchia ? cannot remember seeing a Fincantieri yard there on our visits.

It could be that finacantieri have a plan to use sections of the ship that are undamaged but who knows! or they may have some idea of fixing the Concordia and selling it on, i would not be suprised to hear that they decide to repair or re construct it using new blocks in the damaged areas!

It was also interesting to read that they will drive in a piling to the seabed in order to anchor the ship in place, if you remember way back it was suggested doing a similar thing while the search for the missing was carried out.

Ships repairs and Conversions, Palermo, Trieste (shiprepair docks), La Spezia (shiprepair docks)

Here is a link to Fincantieri`s yards ..... http://www.fincantieri.com/cms_display/gallery_photo.aspx?cms6c5bcf4f=acfcabd085a64b68887a16c1d5227f8f

Tonka ... Not sure if you meant Civitavecchia ? cannot remember seeing a Fincantieri yard there on our visits.

It could be that finacantieri have a plan to use sections of the ship that are undamaged but who knows! or they may have some idea of fixing the Concordia and selling it on, i would not be suprised to hear that they decide to repair or re construct it using new blocks in the damaged areas!

there is no disclosed interest of finacantieri in dismantling the wreck, I merely guessed that the reason for dismantling the vessel in italy was for investigative rather than economic reasons. It is just not economical competitive to dismantle a ship in locations with pollution and safety rules when compared with india, pakastan, and bangladesh.

Replacing the damaged blocks is not likely economicaly viable because almost all of them are likely significantly damaged. removing and refurbishing the mechanical systems and building a new ship around them would likely cost less than trying to repair the damaged hull.

Modern manufacturing and recycling is simply far too efficient for extensive hull repairs to be economical in most circumstances.

Time will tell ..... ;) lets face it there were 98 / 99% of people who posted on the Costa boards who said that the ship would be cut up where it was!!

I fully admit I was one of those that expected them to cut her up there!....I was wrong! (geee......did I say that).....*G*

Time will tell!.........never say 100% for or againist anything when dealing with SHIPS!.

AKK

Tonka .... its a long way off until next January and you may yet be proved right about what happens to Concordia, you have to wonder if the name like Concord the aircraft will be consigned to history ? like Titanic... though i wonder if there is a crusie line prepared to name one of their ships Titan1c ? lol.

If they can re-float her and make her somewhat sea worthy, there's no way they will take her out to deep water and sink her. Worst case scenario is that she goes to Alang to be scrapped. I'm not sure what scrap value is, but if Alang paid (I believe) $4 million for the 20K ton Regal Empress, we might be looking at a bit more for Concordia, despite thinner hull plating. There's still a huge amount of metal there, plus a lot more. It's not all under water. Not all art work may have been destroyed beyond restoration.

It's all about mitigating damages, and where you can get money you take it.

Granted, while not passenger ships, of all the battle ships and others sunk at Pearl Harbor, how many were NOT raised and re-floated and put back into use?

That was Japan's huge mistake. The grossly underestimated the USA!

The salvage plan I posted yesterday calls for some ' piling' in order to secure the vessel from slipping off the ledge she lies on.

As I understand piling it involves hammering the pile into the seabed close to the wreck. Doesnt that mean that the vibration/shock waves from the piling risk the ship slipping before it is secured.

I Guess it depends if they put the floating caissons in place first in order to help keep the ship in place! that said every media outlet in the world claimed it was going to slip into deeper water and hey ho over 3 months later Concordia is still where it was.

Archived