Freestyle Cruise Reward Deposit - Was I conned?

The on-board advertising and the way the cabin interactive menu was set up on the Epic gave the impression I was purchasing a deposit per person.

I purchased one for myself and one for my daughter who was 15 at the time.

Sure enough we both got $100 credit and both received vouchers the next day.

So now I've come to dig out the vouchers for our next cruise I should be able to put down a $250 deposit each.

However, looking at the small print it says limit one per cabin and the holder must be at least 21. My daughter will only be 16 in June.

Have I been conned out of $150 here?

I don't see how. There is nothing going on here that isn't in the printed and widely available terms and conditions.

BTW...With the certificate, you don't need a per person deposit like you do without it. The certificate is the deposit for the entire non-suite cabin.

FWIW...It is actually an additive benefit, you don't want to subtract. You received a $100 OBC and you received a Cruise Reward worth a total of $250. So you received $100 + $ 250 = $350. (per certificate, of course).

You actually walked away from the ship with $200 MORE than when you got there....

You can have the certificate transferred to your latitudes number, so you can book two cabins. You could also give it to a friend or family member. You might even be able to sell it to somebody if you do not plan to do two cruises within 4 years of purchase.

When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

On the NCL website it states " And the catch? What catch? There is none" Oh yes there is.

So there I was thinking we'd be able to put down $500 towards this years cruise but can only put down half that amount.

Yeah, sure it's in the small print. I'm just annoyed that the advertising talks of it being for yourself, the individual, which the $100 is. However, it sure doesn't say the deposit isn't. I find that misleading.

When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

On the NCL website it states " And the catch? What catch? There is none" Oh yes there is.

So there I was thinking we'd be able to put down $500 towards this years cruise but can only put down half that amount.

Yeah, sure it's in the small print. I'm just annoyed that the advertising talks of it being for yourself, the individual, which the $100 is. However, it sure doesn't say the deposit isn't. I find that misleading.

agreed... I was about to buy 2 vouchers in two weeks until I accidentally stumbled upon the small print saying only 1 per cabin... they almost got me too..

I have heard multiple presentations on the certificates, and I hearD over and over again that it is one certificate per cabin. Every form to buy the certificates states the terms. It is unfortunate that you did not read it carefully or did not understand, but "conned" is way, way too strong of term. the certificates are a great deal if you plan to cruise with NCL again. Remember, you also have thirty days after the cruise to reconsider, read the fine print, and ask for your net $150 back if you are unhappy. If you are outside the thirty days and cannot use the certificate, find somebody who can.

Weird... we've been able to purchase 2 certificates... is the "only one per cabin" rule something new?

They are talking about only being allowed to use one certificate for a deposit on a cabin which isn't a change. You can still buy 4 per person per cruise.

OP and others......I'm sorry you misunderstood the way they work but no one is conning you. You still have two certificates that are good for two different cabins either on the same cruise or two different cruises. You can also sell it or give it as a gift. We always try to keep two in our Latitude Account because you never know when a good deal is going to happen.:D

To answer the OP's question in the thread's title, NO, you were definitely not conned. The terms and conditions are made perfectly clear. If you failed to understand them or failed to research them properly, then that's your own fault. All that said, even given the misunderstanding, what's the big deal? You still have two cruise rewards, each usable as a deposit on a cabin. And they're good for 4 years. If you really don't think you're going to use both in 4 years, they're also easily transferable. Lastly, let's not forget that you did receive $200 in instant OBC for the cruise that you were on. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

If you could use MULTIPLE for one cabin, this fool (Me) would buy10 of them. Get $1000 off a cruise (current or future - whichever way you look at it). Heck, I would buy 20 of them and get $2,000 back.

Think people. Think.

I am new to NCL and have mainly sailed with Celebrity. On Celebrity, we pay $200 and get OBC for the next cruise. Am I reading this thread correctly that if we get a future booking certificate when we are on the Epic we will get OBC for both that cruise and a future cruise?

I am new to NCL and have mainly sailed with Celebrity. On Celebrity, we pay $200 and get OBC for the next cruise. Am I reading this thread correctly that if we get a future booking certificate when we are on the Epic we will get OBC for both that cruise and a future cruise?

No, you pay $250 which is applied to your account and then they give you a credit of $100 for the cruise you are on. When you book your next cruise you do not get another $100 OBC. The certificate is worth $250 as a deposit on your next cruise that you book. You only need one certificate per cabin no matter how many are booked in there. These are good for any regular cabin and up to a certain level of suites. The higher end suites will require more of a deposit.

Sorry, I agree with other posters. If you failed to get the information or you failed to read the terms and conditions or you got the impression. You were not conned.

"And the catch? What catch? There is none" There is no catch but of course there are terms and conditions just as there is on everything. What a catch would be is for example to receive it you have to attend a seminar like those condo things, which of course you don't.

And I'm really not sure what you received that had this "fine print" on it. I received a letter in an envelope with the terms and conditions all in 11pt font. A far cry from "fine" print.

They are talking about only being allowed to use one certificate for a deposit on a cabin which isn't a change. You can still buy 4 per person per cruise.

OP and others......I'm sorry you misunderstood the way they work but no one is conning you. You still have two certificates that are good for two different cabins either on the same cruise or two different cruises. You can also sell it or give it as a gift. We always try to keep two in our Latitude Account because you never know when a good deal is going to happen.:D

See Peg? You're always the voice of reason... thanks for the clarification :D

agreed... I was about to buy 2 vouchers in two weeks until I accidentally stumbled upon the small print saying only 1 per cabin... they almost got me too..

Again, what small print? We've been buying these ever since we started cruising with NCL and the conditions are always clearly stated..."1 per cabin" . No one is trying to "con" anyone. You get instant OBC for each one you buy and you have 4 years to use them. It's a great deal.

I think it's a great deal. For $250 you get $100 to spend now and $250 to put down on a cabin. YES it is one per cabin, but they state that over and over and over on the tv on board and in the info they give you. It is a great deal and I've used it and plan to do it again.

What hasn't been made explicit yet is that that $250 counts as the full deposit on that next cabin, so you don't have to pay per person on that, and it is a discounted deposit to boot--you're getting credit for $250 that only cost you $150. Hardly a "con". I'm looking forward tremendously to the 2 cabins I booked with my deposits! :)

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.

And an Easter Bunny.

As to this deal, there is a big catch you would not know about unless you read the small, tiny print. How dare they hide this!

You have to take another cruise to use it.

Any reason why NCL just doesn't state pay $150 and get a $250 deposit for your next cruise?

Why is it worded that you deposit $250 and receive $100 on-board credit?

That actually is quite a simple answer. The non-refundable onboard credit has to be used for purchase on the cruise. Technically what would cost you $100 is not physically costing NCL $100 in actual expenses. And encouraging you to spend onboard which is where the cruise ship gets their profits from. So you are saving $100 but it is only actually costing them a portion of that. Therefore it is a win/win for all.

Any reason why NCL just doesn't state pay $150 and get a $250 deposit for your next cruise?

Why is it worded that you deposit $250 and receive $100 on-board credit?

maybe because it encourages people to spend more money on board?:D

Archived