Freestyle Cruise Reward Deposit - Was I conned?

That actually is quite a simple answer. The non-refundable onboard credit has to be used for purchase on the cruise. Technically what would cost you $100 is not physically costing NCL $100 in actual expenses. And encouraging you to spend onboard which is where the cruise ship gets their profits from. So you are saving $100 but it is only actually costing them a portion of that. Therefore it is a win/win for all.

Actually, the $250 gets charged to your onboard account. I have 0 onboard expenses and the credit gets taken off the account. So indeed, it is pay $150 & get a $250 FCC.

Let me just say this....we bought a cruise reward certificate back in August of 07 on our cruise to Alaska. Used the $100 for purchases on that cruise and then had $250 for a deposit on a future cruise. Sad to say we never did take another cruise but this past month I booked another cruise to Alaska for 2013. Not realizing that my rewards certificate had expired I asked if I could use it and they said they didn't see a problem but had to check. Got a call the next day and it was a go to use it for the deposit. NCL is the best. Not saying it will happen for everyone but if they want the booking they will do what they can. I do believe this is a good program. If I have the extra money on this next cruise I am going to do it again. We are planning a cruise to Hawaii in 2016 for my retirement and will use it for that.

Happy Cruising!!

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.

And an Easter Bunny.

As to this deal, there is a big catch you would not know about unless you read the small, tiny print. How dare they hide this!

You have to take another cruise to use it.

Oh, nooooooooooooooooooo! I have to take another cruise? I've been conned! And I don't have to pay any money to book that cruise? Just use the certificate!! What a travesty!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Actually, the $250 gets charged to your onboard account. I have 0 onboard expenses and the credit gets taken off the account. So indeed, it is pay $150 & get a $250 FCC.

Agree! The staff member selling the Future Cruise Certificates was more than forthcoming in pointing that out to me when I questioned this purchase. On my first NCL sailing I wanted to buy 2 certificates but am someone who purchases next to nothing on board. The FCC rep told me that the $250. per certificate charge would be placed on my account and the $100. per certificate OBC taken off....so, in short, I'd be paying $150. for a $250. future deposit certificate.

Certainly nothing hidden, nothing to make people spend more than planned on their cruise, and a reminder if you are not familiar with something, don't hesitate to ask questions.

OP - As far as having an extra certificate, my friend bought one & wasn't using it so I gave her the $150. she paid for the $250. deposit. I had no problem using it. I only had to give her name & certificate #. I'm sure a friend or co-worker going on a NCL cruise would gladly give you the $150. you paid to get $250. cabin deposit on their next cruise. I certainly could have used one more for the cabins I just booked!

we are going on a cruise this august. If we buy 2 FCC' date=' and dont end up using the $200 on board credit during the cruise, [b']will the unused OBC be posted to our credit card, or could I use the OBC for gratuities[/b]?

No and No. OBC from freestyle cruise rewards are non-refundable. Non-refundable OBC cannot be used for DSC or gratuities.

No and No. OBC from freestyle cruise rewards are non-refundable. Non-refundable OBC cannot be used for DSC or gratuities.

But can the OBC from a reward certificate count against the cost of the certificate itself? If NCL still allows that, the certificate functionally costs $150.

But can the OBC from a reward certificate count against the cost of the certificate itself? If NCL still allows that, the certificate functionally costs $150.

Yes you are right it would, I was only answering the question that was actually asked.

Archived