what bag/pack to take on port visits

jojo1509

hi there

we are first time cruisers and are doing 12 days in the Med from Barcelona in October. We have read lots and are concerned about visiting ports and looking like tourists and therefore easy prey for pick pockets. We are from New Zealand where we can walk around and not worry about this. My question is what sort of bag/pack should we use when in port? My hubby has bought a back pack and I am worried it will be like having a target on his back?? Any suggestions - I plan to do shopping while in port so will need something to put my goodies in:)

If you do not look like a spanish person, you will look like a tourist anyways! :p We have been to Barcelona on several occasions and never had any problems. Keep in mind: the people in Spain are just as friendly as anywhere in the world and only a few of them are pickpockets! (And if you care to speak a few words in spanish, they get even friendlier :))

I would bring a back pack, it's the most comfortable bag to carry for hours. I do not bring valuables, I do not carry too much money on me and I make sure I carry the money near my body.

If you want to bring a big and expensive camera carry it in a sling bag in front of your body. Done that too, also in Barcelona, and never had any problems!

Particularly if you are carrying a camera, I recommend the Lowepro Passport Sling bag (if you can get them where you live). Typically, I also wear a backpack, but I went for the Passport Sling because a backpack can be kind of awkward to take and remove a camera from.....I wore the Passport Sling either across my body like a messanger bag or over my shoulder like a purse (depending on where I was) and it was quite comfortable. What makes it great for a camera is that it has a (removable) padded box inside for extra protection, and it's also large enough to carry extra things like a wallet, water bottle, maps, etc. I bought it before my trip to Spain (Madrid and Barcelona), and loved it. http://www.lowepro.com/passportslinghttp://www.lowepro.com/passportsling

I agree with not carrying things on your back....you have no control over it at all.

And, yes...no matter what you do, you will "look like a tourist"...the citizens aren't going to be touring the sites you'll be touring! They've either been there, or don't care!

hi there

we are first time cruisers and are doing 12 days in the Med from Barcelona in October. We have read lots and are concerned about visiting ports and looking like tourists and therefore easy prey for pick pockets. We are from New Zealand where we can walk around and not worry about this. My question is what sort of bag/pack should we use when in port? My hubby has bought a back pack and I am worried it will be like having a target on his back?? Any suggestions - I plan to do shopping while in port so will need something to put my goodies in:)

We cruised out of Barcelona in the past and spent many days before and after the cruise there. We photocopied our passports and kept them, cash, and credit cards in separate places on our person. If the pick pocket want you, they're going to get you. It's random and you shouldn't let the thought ruin your visit. Just don't carry anything that can't be replaced.

I LOVE my coach backpack for traveling. I carry it on my back when on the ship then carry it facing forward when in ports. It is big enough to carry everything I need for my family of 5 (3 of which are small children) yet it isn't bulky. If it is just DH and I, I use my smaller coach purse which has a long enough strap to be used as a cross body purse so everything is close and toward the front of my waist (as opposed to on my side).

I'm a big fan of messenger bags for multiple reasons. I like hands-free but accessible in front of me. And you can get them in different sizes and colors. I like lots of pockets on/in them, too. The passport sling looks like the same idea roughly, but more expensive than many messengers.

We take a backpack, but we use a carabiner clasped to each tab on the zippers. It takes a little longer to undo it, but a pickpocket isn't going to take the time, so they won't bother. We've done this all over the world, after learning the hard way in Rome where our zipper was unzipped without our knowledge. This simple measure works like a charm. We like the locking carabiner that screws on for added security.

http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Carabiner-Keychain--2-Pack/dp/B003G8DA4G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334058279&sr=8-6

If you have a camera, you will look like a tourist.

I have a little nylon backpack that folds into its own little case that is the handiest thing. I got it at TravelSmith.

The pickpockets are seriously professional and work in teams. Carry nothing in your pockets. I pay for all my purchases with one credit card that I carry in one of those pickpocket-proof purses with a steel cable in the strap that I put over my head and it hangs in front (also TravelSmith).

I wouldn't worry too much about the souvenirs in your backpack, they are looking for MONEY.

Another note, we found that receipts from credit card purchases (sometimes) have the entire number printed on them. So guard those as well.

We take a backpack, but we use a carabiner clasped to each tab on the zippers. It takes a little longer to undo it, but a pickpocket isn't going to take the time, so they won't bother. We've done this all over the world, after learning the hard way in Rome where our zipper was unzipped without our knowledge. This simple measure works like a charm. We like the locking carabiner that screws on for added security.

http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Carabiner-Keychain--2-Pack/dp/B003G8DA4G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1334058279&sr=8-6

Great idea about the carabiner!! going to put that on my "to bring" list now! :D

The pickpockets are seriously professional and work in teams. Carry nothing in your pockets. I pay for all my purchases with one credit card that I carry in one of those pickpocket-proof purses with a steel cable in the strap that I put over my head and it hangs in front (also TravelSmith).

Haven't traveled in Europe for decades - but the Europeans I visited wore, and suggested I buy - small flat leather pouches on a soft string. Pouch barely big enough but did hold passport, CC, folding money.

Then they placed the string over neck and the flat pouch _under the front of shirt, sweater, blouse, etc..

It was a common sight to see people standing in line at a register to reach down in under their shirt/blouse to pay for their purchase.

Similar to these - small, cheap, light.

http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Silk-Neck-Wallet/dp/B0009U7R9I

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Undercover-Pouch/dp/B001M0NX4W/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

The eagle creek one appears a little larger than the leather one I have. The little leather one will only hold passport, cc or two, folding money, no more.

Great idea, no pickpocket is going to attempt to go down the front of your shirt and get to this.

On my upcoming cruise, my wife will wear the leather one from those days and I will buy the one above - or similar, in addition to whatever backpack or sling.

I really do like the look of that passport sling, thanks for posting. I will do that or similar for cameras, whatever. But money and documents go down the front of my shirt.

Got this monosling backpack for our Montreal vacation and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Vertical-Flapover-Monosling-Carry-All/dp/B004LHMYPW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334270738&sr=8-2

As a monosling, I find it much more comfortable to wear than a traditional backpack or shoulder bag, and is much better for my back/posture (though that's partly because the compartment is only a couple inches deep, so it can't be loaded with too much stuff). If you do happen to fit items of some weight in it (a few bottles of wine, for example), because of the way the weight is distributed and carried, it's still more comfortable than a traditional backpack containing the same weight.

Also, unlike most monoslings, the compartment is rectangular, rather than teardrop-shaped, which allows you to fit items inside more easily. Also, the zippered compartment flaps over and clips, making it a tad more secure than a backpack that a thief could more easily zip open without your noticing. But as a monosling, it's easy to simply rotate the compartment so that it sits on your chest, for better security, or easier access to your stuff.

Love. It.

:D

Archived