Sky Review April 2-6

shelly11

I've been home a few days from the Sky. (April 2-6) Loved it again! (husband & I did the same trip last year) This time we took our 15 year old daughter and a friend so she could have someone to have fun with.

We flew to Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta on Delta. Great flight but we were those people running through the airport because we were late. So sorry! I really do hate those people. We have vowed to never to that again! We use SAS transport to the port, thanks to posts on cruise critic! It went very smooth. Embarkation was easy and fast, we even got on board with the first group!

We all went to the buffet for a great lunch and then showed the girls around the ship while we waited on our rooms. Our rooms were ready by 1:30pm, luggage shortly after. We had an ocean view room and an inside room on deck 7. Adeline was our steward and we loved her! So friendly! We left her style cards too.

We signed up the girls for the teen club. They peeked in a few times but mainly used the pool and watched the comedy shows with us. They loved the ping pong tables. Basketball and shuffle board was always in use. Everyone on the ship looked to be having fun. Even if it was spring break we never waited or felt crowed except when going to the buffet once or twice. We ate in the crossings dining room on day 1 and had great food and great service!

Day 2 we were in Freeport. Having been a year ago, my husband and I really didn't care for Freeport so we booked the Garden of the Groves excursion. It wasn't too long and the gardens were lovely! The tour guide on the bus and at the gardens we very informative. When the bus took us to the straw market we shopped for a minute the opted to find a cab to get back to the ship sooner. We spent the rest of the day at the pool and enjoying some of the shows.

As I mentioned in another thread, some of the staff has changed this year. The captain is an American (can't remember his name), the cruise director is Pedro, the assistant Cd is a woman, again can't remember her name. Some of the entertainment staff were the same, but them seemed like they were still getting used to working with each other. The shows were still great. I don't think Pedro made enough announcements, last year tons of announcements were made and that's the only way we remembered events sometimes. I think more people would have participated if more announcements would have been made.

Day 3 Nassau. Lovely weather and a fun day! We didn't plan anything and took our time getting off the ship. We shopped and stopped by starbucks. We did grab a horse and buggy ride before getting back on the ship. We had planned to eat at the fish fry but must have had too much breakfast! Again we enjoyed being on a very empty ship. We were docked by the Jewel, Carnival Fantasy and Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Sea. It was neat to see the Jewel leave before us. That night we ate at Le Bistro. Loved it last year and loved it again this year! Our waiter Geronimo was wonderful! We were heading out of port while we ate, wonderful views!

Day 4 Great Stirrup Cay. It was very cloudy and even rained a little. The tender boats were so rocky, even bumping the ship hard! We spent a few hours on the island anyway. Everyone but me went into the water, it was too cold! We enjoyed a lovely lunch and walked around the newer part of the island before heading back to enjoy the ship again. We went to the towel folding demonstration. I want a monkey in my room!

Day 5 Miami/debarkation We were so sad to leave. We ate breakfast at the great outdoors and saw a rainbow over Miami. It was lovely. We called SAS transport again, made it through customs fast and headed back to Fort Lauderdale. This time we were on time for our flight with plenty of time to spare.

We all loved the trip, the ship, the food and the sights. I would recommend the Sky to anyone! Yes it's a little older (but not that old!) but you do see people working on it 24/7. Heck even the Jewel was getting a paint job in Nassau. For a short cruise or first cruise the Sky is great!

(I'll add pics!)

bx9KxN

7062239885_ef3f640c49.jpg

Nassau light house from the Le Bistro window

6916161344_e1afe1926b.jpg

Inside Le Bistro

6916164130_bc2d469c02.jpg

My favorite spot on Great Stirrup Cay

6916167124_147cc33c92.jpg

Cabanas being built in the back ground.

7062251175_4035c9c8c5.jpg

the sand way off in the distance is now open for use. We walked over there, it was too cold for me to swim.

Thanks so much!

Sailing Sky on May 25 with my mother and dd-18 leaving the boys at home!

I just booked our Speciality Restaurants for the 3 nights.

I would LOVE to see more pictures. Thank you very much for taking the time to post.

I appreciate it!

I might add more pics later, I have the dailies too just need to scan them.

A style card is a comment card you can leave for outstanding service. Get them at guest services. I've seen on here that after so many the employees get perks like time off.

I might add more pics later, I have the dailies too just need to scan them.

Love your photos - thanks so much! Will be on the Sky on April 23st and would love to see the dailies :)

Nothing against the Sky, but NCL had it right when they used to sail to Cozumel and Key West on 4 night cruises. Slow motion cruises to the Bahamas is pretty depressing compared to when the Majesty used to go further south before the Sky took over these 4 night cruises. I would understand if the ship left from Port Canaveral and time was a factor, but it is not necessary from Miami. NCL could at least alternate ports every other week.

6921235008_087ac61417.jpg

Because my daughter is 15...got this idea from a user on here, thanks!

7067313289_3913b6a447.jpg

Looking at Atlantis in Nassau

6921232398_b1f6a869e9.jpg

The rebellious fish...the fish bowl says "ah so this is what they mean by sea legs."

6921230064_7686b9202d.jpg

A chapel at the garden of the groves, a replica of the first one on Freeport

We were on this cruise too! We had a great time and would reccomend it to any and everyone! The captain's name is Ron Chrastina and the assistant cd name was Christine. I posted a reviewand I will try to post the link to it...we were 1st timers and had a blast. We agree that Freeport wasn't our favorite. We didn't book an excursion and really didn't plan too much. we shopped around for a little bit at the small straw market near the port. When we got back on the ship it was almost empty and we loved it! We were able to enjoy the pools and hot tubs without the crowds! In Nassau we chose to do the sub excursion--it was amazing! We were in a group of about 25-only 10 were able to go at a time and we were in the last group-so we snorkeled while we waited. The tour guides were very informative and helpful.

Our last day in GSC wasn't what we had hoped-we had booked a parasail but it canceled due to weather. The island is going to be beautiful when it is completed and is very relaxing now-I hope I get to come back when more of the work is done!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=100577

Archived