Room service

blum74

If you mean American bacon, tell him he can have mine as well. Ghastly fatty stuff. Ugh:mad:

I don't know where the bacon originates from but I do agree, it is probably the worst bacon I have ever had, paper thin and greasy. I now order ham or smoked salmon with by breakfast.

I like bacon if it is really good quality, but unfortunately, much of the bacon at our stores is littered with chemicals like nitrites and nitrates that I don't digest well. It does taste good though and I've found if I just pay a few $$$ more I can get good quality bacon that tastes even better. Life is too short to eat the yucky stuff and life's a lot shorter if you do eat a lot of it :rolleyes:

Tom

I don't know where the bacon originates from but I do agree, it is probably the worst bacon I have ever had, paper thin and greasy. I now order ham or smoked salmon with by breakfast.

Regarding autotips for room service: I guess it's been agreed that room service personnel is part of the autotip pool. But what I really didn't appreciate until I was on the Emerald for a long period of time is that room service is not a dedicated staff. The junior buffet waiters might be assigned to room service for one cruise at a time, but more commonly they work one area for lunch, another mid-afternoon (like the IC or room service), another for dinner, etc. I suspect they do this for the same reason that bartenders and bar waiters are rotated every 3 or 4 cruises...to even out the extra tips. A bar waiter in Crooners is making a LOT more money than a bar waiter in Club Fusion. To keep things equitable, people work in more than one location, and, in the case of room service, the greeter in the dining room at breakfast might be delivering your minibar trade outs that afternoon.

We certainly made sure that we received any room service dressed in a manner that wouldn't embarrass us a few hours later when we greeted that person in the dining room.!:eek:

Actually he is right. If the auto-tips are left in place, then they get to keep the extra cash. If the auto tips are decreased or removed, all cash must be turned in.

Thank you for clarifying. Sorry for my mistake. It becomes very complicated. I will stick to auto tips.

teacher_91.....here's what i do depending on the length of the cruise and how much room service i think i'll use. i get 50 $1 bills and keep them in an envelope in my cabin. then when room service is delivered, i sign the check which means i received the food and then i give the waiter or waitress their tip in cash. usually $2 to $5. this has always worked good for me. i wouldn't want to add a tip to the check since i can't be sure they will receive it.

cheers

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.....

If we choose to order room service, should we tip the delivery person 'in person' or do they add it to our account?

For room service purposes, I would personally do cash. For the rest of the tips, I do the auto tips that is added to my account.

teacher_91.....here's what i do depending on the length of the cruise and how much room service i think i'll use. i get 50 $1 bills and keep them in an envelope in my cabin. then when room service is delivered, i sign the check which means i received the food and then i give the waiter or waitress their tip in cash. usually $2 to $5. this has always worked good for me. i wouldn't want to add a tip to the check since i can't be sure they will receive it.

cheers

This is precisely what we do, many $1 bills in an envelope kept in the safe that we remove the next morning's tip from to hand to whoever delivers our order. For other, impromptu room service, there's time to remove the appropriate tip before the order is delivered, so it works great.

NorthPhoenixGuy.... great minds think alike! And FWIW, I like bacon too. ;)

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question..... No question asked on Cruise Critic is in that category

If we choose to order room service, should we tip the delivery person 'in person' or do they add it to our account?

You can do either. The back of the room service delivery slip has a place to add a tip. However, if you do add the tip this way, it might go into the tipping pool instead of directly to the person who came to your cabin.

you already tipped if you leave your daily auto tip in place. If you wish to double tip they certainly won't say no!

Regarding autotips for room service: I guess it's been agreed that room service personnel is part of the autotip pool. But what I really didn't appreciate until I was on the Emerald for a long period of time is that room service is not a dedicated staff. The junior buffet waiters might be assigned to room service for one cruise at a time, but more commonly they work one area for lunch, another mid-afternoon (like the IC or room service), another for dinner, etc. I suspect they do this for the same reason that bartenders and bar waiters are rotated every 3 or 4 cruises...to even out the extra tips. A bar waiter in Crooners is making a LOT more money than a bar waiter in Club Fusion. To keep things equitable, people work in more than one location, and, in the case of room service, the greeter in the dining room at breakfast might be delivering your minibar trade outs that afternoon.

We certainly made sure that we received any room service dressed in a manner that wouldn't embarrass us a few hours later when we greeted that person in the dining room.!:eek:

I noticed this too on our last cruise on the Coral. On Panama Canal day, we ordered room service for breakfast and had one of the assistant waiters who normally served in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. It seems like they change their schedules and responsibilities frequently, even on the same cruise.

Agree about appearing as respectable as possible in front of the room service delivery person - you never know when you might see them again! ;)

Princess now adds a line for gratuity on the receipt you sign after receiving your order. I'm personally a little iffy as to whether that goes directly to the server, so I always tip in cash. It's usually a pleasant surprise for them, and always appreciated.

Archived