Elation Review April 2012

sukyrin

I will attempt a review of our cruise on the Elation. This was our first cruise and it will NOT be our last.

Embarkation and debarkation were so easy. I have my passport and cruise papers and we flew through.

Room - My husband and I enjoyed our room. We had everything in there we needed and more. I absolutely LOVED the power of the shower. I took lots of showers :)

I really did not use alot of the stuff that I brought but was glad that I brought it.

Food - We enjoyed all of the food except the desserts. The only thing we enjoyed was the 24 hour Ice cream.

We ate in the dining room twice and would rather be out eating at the other places just to enjoy being outside.

Oh, we did not enjoy the Sushi either :( Just my opinion.

Drinks - We did not bring drinks with us nor did we buy soft drinks. We were fine with the water, tea and juices. I made lemon water and I always drink that. We did not order through Bon Voyage but next time we will.

I was surprised that the last day of the cruise you can buy liquor from the shop on board and we got it by 6:30. We could have actually made our own drinks that night but just didn't feel like it.

The mixed drinks from the bar were very good but not very strong. I stuck with the buckets of beer.

Our S&S for 2 people 5 day cruise was 650.00. That was a few pictures, frames, gift shops, 4 bottles of liquor from the store on the last night and bar charges. We did gamble a little but it was all cash. I put 3.00 in a .01 machine and won 150.00. I was thrilled so I stopped playing.

Entertainment - There was always something going on. We sometimes could not do all that we wanted due to one thing being on one end of the ship and the other on the other end.

I will say my absolute favorite was the Punchliner Comedy Club with Macio. I have never laughed so hard in all my life.

We enjoyed Bingo and the pull tabs.

The Hairy Chest contest was awesome.

There was just always something to do. It was fun to just sit and "people watch" Ha Ha

Progreso - Our first stop, I was nervous about getting off here just b/c of the things I heard about Progreso. We decided since it was just my husband and I that we would not do any excursions and just enjoy some time together. We shopped, sat on the beach and had chips, salsa and some beer. We walked around some more and saw how they live and we really enjoyed our time there. We then went to a restaurant and has an amzing lunch and a few more beers. It was very HOT!!!!! We had a really good time in Progreso. Every person we bought something from really appreciated it and thanked us numerous times.

Cozumel - Well it was ok. We did not do any excursions but we will next time. People were not very nice. We were told several times that "Americans are cheap" It wasnt b/c we weren't buying it was just comments in general.

We had junch at Three Amigos and a few beers :) That was the most fun in Cozumel.

I do have to ask, if any of you know how to make real authentic Mexcian salsa please tell me. I have never tasted salsa so good.

Well if you have questions please ask me. I want to learn from you as you can from me.

I am already looking to book my next cruise WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):cool::D

I'm glad most of the recent elation reviews are positive. I'm going in November on my second cruise ever. The group we are in on only allowed for inside and ocean view rooms so I'm worried it will be a huge let down from the first one on conquest last year with a balcony. Oh well, at least the open bar card will still be there :)

In progreso, did you just walk to the beach from the pier?

We are newbie cruisers and I can't wait to go. Thanks for the review. We have an interior room, what kind of room did you have?

We haven't decided what we're doing in Progreso, but we've hired a driver for Cozumel. I think it will be loads of fun according to this site!!

I will attempt a review of our cruise on the Elation. This was our first cruise and it will NOT be our last.

Embarkation and debarkation were so easy. I have my passport and cruise papers and we flew through.

Room - My husband and I enjoyed our room. We had everything in there we needed and more. I absolutely LOVED the power of the shower. I took lots of showers :)

I really did not use alot of the stuff that I brought but was glad that I brought it.

Food - We enjoyed all of the food except the desserts. The only thing we enjoyed was the 24 hour Ice cream.

We ate in the dining room twice and would rather be out eating at the other places just to enjoy being outside.

Oh, we did not enjoy the Sushi either :( Just my opinion.

Drinks - We did not bring drinks with us nor did we buy soft drinks. We were fine with the water, tea and juices. I made lemon water and I always drink that. We did not order through Bon Voyage but next time we will.

I was surprised that the last day of the cruise you can buy liquor from the shop on board and we got it by 6:30. We could have actually made our own drinks that night but just didn't feel like it.

The mixed drinks from the bar were very good but not very strong. I stuck with the buckets of beer.

Our S&S for 2 people 5 day cruise was 650.00. That was a few pictures, frames, gift shops, 4 bottles of liquor from the store on the last night and bar charges. We did gamble a little but it was all cash. I put 3.00 in a .01 machine and won 150.00. I was thrilled so I stopped playing.

Entertainment - There was always something going on. We sometimes could not do all that we wanted due to one thing being on one end of the ship and the other on the other end.

I will say my absolute favorite was the Punchliner Comedy Club with Macio. I have never laughed so hard in all my life.

We enjoyed Bingo and the pull tabs.

The Hairy Chest contest was awesome.

There was just always something to do. It was fun to just sit and "people watch" Ha Ha

Progreso - Our first stop, I was nervous about getting off here just b/c of the things I heard about Progreso. We decided since it was just my husband and I that we would not do any excursions and just enjoy some time together. We shopped, sat on the beach and had chips, salsa and some beer. We walked around some more and saw how they live and we really enjoyed our time there. We then went to a restaurant and has an amzing lunch and a few more beers. It was very HOT!!!!! We had a really good time in Progreso. Every person we bought something from really appreciated it and thanked us numerous times.

Cozumel - Well it was ok. We did not do any excursions but we will next time. People were not very nice. We were told several times that "Americans are cheap" It wasnt b/c we weren't buying it was just comments in general.

We had junch at Three Amigos and a few beers :) That was the most fun in Cozumel.

I do have to ask, if any of you know how to make real authentic Mexcian salsa please tell me. I have never tasted salsa so good.

Well if you have questions please ask me. I want to learn from you as you can from me.

I am already looking to book my next cruise WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):cool::D

I loved the elation .. is it still in mobile?

I'm glad most of the recent elation reviews are positive. I'm going in November on my second cruise ever. The group we are in on only allowed for inside and ocean view rooms so I'm worried it will be a huge let down from the first one on conquest last year with a balcony. Oh well, at least the open bar card will still be there :)

Open Bar card? tell me more....

I too hope they serve the Bitter and Blanc on our 5 night. We loved it so much on our 7 nt. Victory cruise, we were told we could special order it and they served it on nights that it was not on the menu. I sure thought that was nice of them to offer that. Not sure if they do that on all ships/itineraries.

Found the recipe on an old thread. Sure sounds like alot of work... but oh so yummy!

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

(serves 8)

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).

For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.

For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.

In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.

Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.

In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.

Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

I think I'll just wait until I cruise with CCL and let them cook and serve it to me... :)

We had an ocean view and I loved it. I never saw people on there balcony.

What is an open bar card ?

In Progreso you get on a bus that takes you into town and they will direct you to the beach. They had more beach there than Cozumel did. We actually sat on the beach and had a few drinks, chips and salsa.

Just got off the Elation this morning. After six previous Carnival cruises this ship is one of the best. Everything was good or better than other ships. The crew was very nice and always helpful. Progresso offers a double-decker bus tour for only $3 but it isn't very long. There is a small homemade mall where you get on and off the bus that carrys you to and from the boat. We found the prices cheaper there than the stores on the beach. And ate dinner at the Corona restaurant, it was ok. Then did Nachi Cocom at Cozamel and it was good as usual. Any questions I'll try to answer.

I've been lurking around these boards for weeks in anticipation of my first cruise ever this November 8, 4 day to Cozumel. I'm glad Elation gets so many thumbs up! My sister and I are cruising together; I'm a newbie, she's been several times on Carnival cruises. We're in V30, an obstructed view suite. Really looking forward to being in New Orleans too.

Archived