Should we get off the ship in Progreso?! I don't like what I've heard

wework2play

We are cruising in less than 2 weeks and I had planned to go to the ruins in Progreso, UNTIL TONIGHT. A good friend of mine who has been there said it is very dangerous and there are military guys with guns on every corner. We are taking our kids with us too..Any advice on this Cruise Critic friends? Do I need to rethink an excursion at this port?

We went two years ago and our son was almost three at the time. It seemed ok to me, you take a long bus ride from the port over the bridge. And once we got off the bridge we just walked to the free beach and hung out there for a while.

We are cruising in less than 2 weeks and I had planned to go to the ruins in Progreso, UNTIL TONIGHT. A good friend of mine who has been there said it is very dangerous and there are military guys with guns on every corner. We are taking our kids with us too..Any advice on this Cruise Critic friends? Do I need to rethink an excursion at this port?

Umm - wouldn't that make it LESS dangerous ?

We've never been to Progresso itself, but we have driven a good bit around the Yucatan Penninsula, including Rio Lagartos (a Flamingo habitat) which is fairly close to Progresso as well as to Chichen Itza, Merida, and and many small towns in the province. Got lost a few times, and found ourselves 3 mile deep into a one-way highway going the wrong way :eek: - but never felt unsafe. Well, except for the guy in the oncoming truck who yelled PASO DE UNO, PASO DE UNO as he went by:o.

I've been on 8 cruises 4 of which have stopped in Progresso. I love it. I have not gone to the ruins.... I cruise to lay out with a drink not for culture...lol...but my first time I tok a tour of Merida and enjoyed the quaintness and history of it. They have the oldest Catholic church in the Americas. The other times I have gone to the Reef Club..beautiful resort all inclusive @$40, hung around port area, or gone into town hd some great food the seafood is amazingly fresh and inexpensive. The water isn't always the bluest but hey I live by Galveston and grew up in NYC. I have read a lot of negative posts about Progresso I don't understand but we are all entitled to our opinions. Just hope you give it a chance and don't let the naysayers impede you from trying it...you may hate it but then again you may love it.

we have been there several times and have always felt safe there. Yes you will see the military but we have seen the same in Playa Del Carman. When you first get off the ship they have a small shopping area along with with a really hopping bar (on the way back to the ship). You can take this free bus ride which bring you to a big flea market area. You can bargain with the venders here. Very safe. Then you only have to walk 4-5 blocks to the beach. They have restaurants along here that allow you to sit on the beach under their umbrellas if you buy some drinks from them. The water is not pretty, but it is nice to walk along the beach. You can get the best $10 massages here on the beach. Bargain with them.

we have been there several times and have always felt safe there. Yes you will see the military but we have seen the same in Playa Del Carman. When you first get off the ship they have a small shopping area along with with a really hopping bar (on the way back to the ship). You can take this free bus ride which bring you to a big flea market area. You can bargain with the venders here. Very safe. Then you only have to walk 4-5 blocks to the beach. They have restaurants along here that allow you to sit on the beach under their umbrellas if you buy some drinks from them. The water is not pretty, but it is nice to walk along the beach. You can get the best $10 massages here on the beach. Bargain with them.

We get off and visit the small shopping area. Our daugter is in a wheelchair so we don't venture any further. But the shoping area has great T-shirts--best quality and cheapest we've found on any Carnival cruise. At least get off, buy a souvenir (I wear my "Puerto Progreso" hat everywhere), and say been there, done that at least! ;)

We did the Uxmal ruins in Nov 2010, and it was great! Best ruins I've been to, by far!!! They still let you climb on most of the ruins there. Never felt unsafe. Some people hate Progreso, mainly because it's not as touristy as places like Cancun and Cozumel. But that doesn't really sound like a valid reason to hate a port, so they say they were scared.

The bus from the ship to the town is free. Right off the bus is an outdoor market, and I have always had great experiences there. Very friendly, not pushy. The little stands set up along the sidewalks, however, may feel slightly pushy. They'll be calling to you as you're coming and as you're walking away. It's only a couple blocks to get to the beach. Didn't feel unsafe, just don't like vendors calling out to me. If I'm interested, I'll stop. Otherwise, save your breath. Minor thing, really.

The beach and the water are nothing great, but it's there. Playa del Carmen has much better beaches, which is why I so desperately wish they would go back to Calica instead of Progreso. Progreso has fewer options for beaches and shore excursions, but I haven't felt unsafe. One of the best times I've had in a port was my first time in Progreso, during Hurricane Ivan, when we got rerouted to there. It was so much fun then, but they've scaled the fun aspect down since.

Your good friend is both wrong and an alarmist.

I have been to Progreso a number of times and it is absolutely NOT dangerous

In Mexico and numerous other countries you may see armed guards and maybe even dogs. They are to both ensure your safety and look for drugs (America has a drug addiction problem, if you haven't heard).

Here are a few pictures from our travels,

Progreso: Sept 2010, Chichen Itza: Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Progreso Dec 07

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Sargent_Schultz: I just want to sincerely thank you for all the postings you do and especially for your awesome pics.

Will be in Progresso soon and I'm not concerned about safety issues. With that said, things can happen anywhere, anytime, so I always try to be cautious and alert of my surroundings when visiting anywhere or even in my on town for that matter.

Sargent_Schultz: I just want to sincerely thank you for all the postings you do and especially for your awesome pics.

Will be in Progresso soon and I'm not concerned about safety issues. With that said, things can happen anywhere, anytime, so I always try to be cautious and alert of my surroundings when visiting anywhere or even in my on town for that matter.

You're welcome. :D

and yes, everywhere we need to be aware of our surroundings.

Your good friend is both wrong and an alarmist.

I have been to Progreso a number of times and it is absolutely NOT dangerous

In Mexico and numerous other countries you may see armed guards and maybe even dogs. They are to both ensure your safety and look for drugs (America has a drug addiction problem, if you haven't heard).

Here are a few pictures from our travels,

Progreso: Sept 2010, Chichen Itza: Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4

Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal

Progreso Dec 07

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Got to agree with you. I walk in town by my self and no one has ever said a word to me. To me this is the real MX.A freind of mine got a 1 hr masage down by the beach for 20 dollars.

Have a Canadian friend that now lives in Progresso 7 months each year. Visited only once and had planned on returning for a month via car and renting a beach house. Health changed and can't make the trip ATT.

Water is shallow, reason for 5 mile pier from ship. Longest in the world.

Beach is nice and massages are quite cheap.

Buddy's is a local hang out for both Canadians and Americans when ships are in Port. If there before the 25th say hellow to Dave and Shirley for me. Owner is from Amsterdam. Try the fish taco.

Walk the Malacon after Buddy's

Dave told me that the Yucantan is the safest state in Mexico! Military is only there to ensure they keep drugs out of Progresso!

Not a tourist port, but the cleanest I have ever visited.

For some reason, the vendors love anything Phillies! Would have traded for my T-Shirt right off my back. Suggest you take a few for trading.

Have fun and don't worry about safety.

A good friend of mine who has been there said it is very dangerous and there are military guys with guns on every corner.

The Yucatan generally is about the safest place in Mexico. Progresso as a cruise port is very safe, and particularly Merida, which you can reach by bus is probably the best place I have visited in Mexico, and is also very safe.

Armed soldiers don't detract from the safety, they add to it.

Kevin C

I was looking forward to this port, but I did not enjoy it, not because of the military men and it didnt feel unsafe, but because of the pushy pushy vendors on the beach. IMO they are worse then in Jamaica and noisy, every 5-10 minutes someone came by selling something, massages, coins, cigars, hats, jewlery and other junk, even copies of movies not released yet! The most annoying had to be the noise maker toys that are supposed to sound like animals! They come right up to your table contstantly, we were approached no less then 10 times in the the course of the day by guys playing their guitars wanting tips. I did not enjoy it at all, no peace and quiet. I did buy a float from one of the vendors to escape the madness on the beach by hanging out in the ocean.

The line to get on a bus to cross over the very long bridge to get to the main land is very long and very hot. If I ever go back I will most certainly book an excursion which picks you up at the dock directly and you by pass the long wait for a general bus in town and the pushy vendors at the public beach.

We have been to Progresso twice. Once we went to Uxmal (enjoyed it); once we did the Merida tour (it was ok).

I do like the flea market for lack of a better word. Lots of interesting shopping.

I don't remember any military except for their couple of customs agents on the pier which isn't any different than the US.

I didn't feel unsafe at all and wandered off the beaten path a bit in Merida looking for a drugstore because I had a sore throat. They did recommend antibiotics though which you can buy over the counter. I was tempted, but wasn't sure if I could bring them back into the US legally.

To this day Progreso may be my favorite port. I love Cozumel, but Progreso was an awesome experience. I never once felt like I was in danger. We got off the ship and took the shuttle bus down the pier. Then, we walked over to where the double decker $2 bus is for a city tour. If you don't do a mayan ruin or other excursion, you should try this. They drive you around the city and you learn so much. Listen when they talk about stores, restaurants, etc.

Then, when they let you off the bus, walk over to the end of the road toward the beach, find a palapa and a table near one of the restaurants you heard about on the tour and hang out! They will bring you everything you need. The margaritas are awesome and the food is even better. Best chips and salsa I have ever had. There are vendors, but there are not too many. We had a guy with an iguana come by for pictures and my husband thought that was the coolest thing ever. Then we had some guys with guitars come by and serenade us. It was like we were the only people in port and we were kings.

The water is not the prettiest but we honestly had a great time just being there. We got massages on the beach for 30 minutes for $20. They aren't spa trained or anything, but it was relaxing, safe and nice. I suggest you take your time in Progreso as a chance to just get to know the locals because I have never traveled anywhere else with nicer people.

I was worried about this port the first time my late husband & I were there, but, we really enjoyed it and never felt unsafe. We did the double decker bus around town and then went down to the beach and had a couple of drinks. If you don't wait until it's almost time to be back, the wait for the bus back is not bad at all. I was there last Feb with a group. I left to go back before they did and never felt unsafe walking back to catch the bus. The vendors on the beach, I didn't think were pushy at all. A simple "No Thank You" and they went on their way.

Have a Canadian friend that now lives in Progresso 7 months each year. Visited only once and had planned on returning for a month via car and renting a beach house. Health changed and can't make the trip ATT.

Would you recommend Buddy's if we have some young teens & preteens with us? Thinking we could sit on the beach at the tables & order instead of actually being in the restaurant. It looks like a great place but some of their pics on their facebook site are a bit PG.

Thanks,

Tam

Would you recommend Buddy's if we have some young teens & preteens with us? Thinking we could sit on the beach at the tables & order instead of actually being in the restaurant. It looks like a great place but some of their pics on their facebook site are a bit PG.

Thanks,

Tam

The Corona Beach area was fun. They have a beach party excursion through Carnival, but when we went you could walk up and sit/eat/drink on your own tab.

Definitely get off the ship. The town is old world Mexico. You won't see this stuff in Coz or Cancun!

If you want to see real Mexico get off the ship and walk around. You'll see police and military people around so I'd feel pretty safe if I were you.

Plus, you can always take the excursion/bus ride out to the resort on the beach. We did that too!

Archived