Trip Insurance Question

Ok, I have heard everyone say how important it is to have cruise insurance. I completely agree. My question is, why not purchase the insurance provided by Royal Caribbean? For all of the concerns mentioned that people get trip insurance for, is appears that CruiseCare covers the same thing. I am going on my first cruise in August, so I wanted to make sure I was not missing out on anything. Thanks in advance.

Guest nhrich

Along with the price difference, if you book your air independently from the cruise line, you're not covered with the cruise line insurance. It's my experience that the coverage is usually better with 3rd party coverage, also.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

I book independently because I do book my own flights and go a few days early and stay a day later.

However, if I lived close to the port, I'd strongly consider the cruise lines insurance. One big benefit of some cruise line's plans is that you can cancel for ANY reason you want and get 75% of the cost in future cruise credits. Sometimes people want to cancel for a reason that is not covered by trip insurance, but they're stuck.

I use the one my TA offers. This is the first time I've booked my own air (saved over $1300), I gave my flight info to my TA and it is covered under the insurance they offer. It wouldn't be with RCI's. Plus, it's cheaper.

Karen

The price of the insurance the cruise lines carry is outrageous! Ex. last year, we paid $126 for our travel insurance, the cruise line wanted almost $500 for the same coverage. Read the policies carefully, know what you are buying.

Guest nhrich
Another reason NOT to book your insurance with the cruise line is because IF for some reason the cruise line went under, so would the insurance you had. Always best to use 3rd party insurance.

Be careful here...many of the policies require you to book your insurance within 7-15 days (limit varies depending on the policy) of your original deposit. If you book outside this timeframe, you may not be covered. Same goes with pre-existing medical conditions.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

We just solidified our travel insurance choices yesterday. While I went with 3rd party (Trip Assist) for $80 it covered me and my two kids are free and covered. That same policy for my mom would be 164, so she went with RCCL insurance for 109. Key difference for her is that if she cancels with her insurance, she will have to get her refund back in cruise credit as opposed to cash for my insurance.:)

Rich,

Hey...we are from NH also - Merrimack

We purchased insurance through RC. The policy states that air purchased separately IS covered, as long as we are flying in and out of the port city.

The insurance cost us $79/adult and $59/child. We are covered 100%.

ak

Along with the price difference, if you book your air independently from the cruise line, you're not covered with the cruise line insurance. It's my experience that the coverage is usually better with 3rd party coverage, also.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Archived