Tips for luggage porters

You can tip whatever you feel comfortable with...I usually do five bucks for two or three bags.

Yeah, my fiance and I had three bags (well, I had one light bag...she had two massive ones...you'da thought I was on a 2 day trip and she was on an 80 day trip), and I just gave the guy a $5. I like to think we had 2.5 bags and he got $2 per bag ;)

The porter that greeted us at the terminal almost seemed like he didn't want my tip. :confused:

He grabbed our bags and tagged them for us and then turned and went for his bag trolley. It all happened so fast while I was paying the taxi driver. Call me an moron if you like, but I actually called him back to give my tip. :D

After all the stories I've read here I wanted to pay my "get the bags on the right ship" insurance. It sure looked like our bags would have made it anyway, but I try to be a good tipper while on vacation. :cool:

When you take the ship's transfer the luggage is usually handeled separately and you don't have an opportunity to tip the porters. Sometimes it travels separately. In New Orleans 2 weeks ago we were told to stay on the bus while the luggage was unloaded and after it was hauled away the bus pulled up to the entrance of the terminal.

How much are you suppose to tip the luggage porters at the cruise terminal?

It seems to vary by port. In Miami, we handed the porter $10 for our 4 bags. He told us with a straight face that "the standard rate is $10 per bag. You know sometimes things happen to bags destined for ships."

Felt very much like extortion to me. I wondered what would have happened had we just walked away? Sunken suitcases, loaded on the wrong ship, what?

It seems to vary by port. In Miami, we handed the porter $10 for our 4 bags. He told us with a straight face that "the standard rate is $10 per bag. You know sometimes things happen to bags destined for ships."

Felt very much like extortion to me. I wondered what would have happened had we just walked away? Sunken suitcases, loaded on the wrong ship, what?

So......did you pay him $10 per bag?

The porter that greeted us at the terminal almost seemed like he didn't want my tip. :confused:

He grabbed our bags and tagged them for us and then turned and went for his bag trolley. It all happened so fast while I was paying the taxi driver. Call me an moron if you like, but I actually called him back to give my tip. :D

After all the stories I've read here I wanted to pay my "get the bags on the right ship" insurance. It sure looked like our bags would have made it anyway, but I try to be a good tipper while on vacation. :cool:

It was like that for us in Barcelona. The guy grabbed our bags, tossed them with all the others and was gone. I never got the money out of my pocket. :p

Bill

We pay about $2 per bag when getting onto the ship. The amount may be more when getting off the ship - depends on how bad it is getting luggage and through lines and out to a taxi. Recently getting off Liberty it was a NIGHTMARE and a porter asked if we wanted help and I took one look at the mess of bags in the building and the massive line of people waiting for customs and immigration and told him yes. He found three of our four check bags and the fourth was not where it should be. He knew where to look and who to ask and got it for us. He also navigated our cart of luggage through the massive unorganized lines of people to a line that was there but no one was using because it was so disorganized and we go through relatively quickly. He loaded up our taxi with our bags. What could have taken nearly an hour took about half that time with his help. We gave him $30 and he earned every dollar of that.

Guest maddycat

That's outrageous. I would have started taking pictures.......of him and his ID badge. I also would have found a supervisor and reported him. After the cruise I would have followed up with a letter to the port and RCI. Oh and we do tip......$5 for two bags.

I must not have tipped well enough in Ft Lauderdale last year. I don't remember the exact amount, but I generally do $1 per bag, and then add a couple more dollars to that. I still haven't seen my one piece of luggage from that cruise. I truly believe it never made it on the ship, or it would have eventually made it's way back it me. It had plenty of ID, inside and out!

Archived