Torn between: Driving/Parking at Cape Liberty Port or Taking Ent Tours Bus

bsbcgirl

On Explorer for the 9 night cruise departing on 6/21. Me, DH, and DD#2 from RI and DD#1 and her husband from West Hartford. Here are our choices:

(1) The 3 Rhode Islanders take the ENT bus from RI (will need to park at bus terminal) and the other 2 take the ENT bus from CT (they will also need to park at bus terminal). Meet up at port or on ship.

(2) The 3 of us go to West Hartford the night before, sleep at D#1's house and the 5 of us drive down that morning. What time should we leave? Traffic problems? About how long a drive?

(3) The 3 of us leave RI the night before, pickup the other 2 up in West Hartford at about 6:30 pm and stay near the port (looks like the Elizabeth, NJ area is what most CC folks recommend that night. Drive/Park at port the next morning.

??? Thanks.

On Explorer for the 9 night cruise departing on 6/21. Me, DH, and DD#2 from RI and DD#1 and her husband from West Hartford. Here are our choices:

(1) The 3 Rhode Islanders take the ENT bus from RI (will need to park at bus terminal) and the other 2 take the ENT bus from CT (they will also need to park at bus terminal). Meet up at port or on ship. This would work fine, but it's pricey. $500 for the bus plus parking in Hartford and Providence for 9 days.

(2) The 3 of us go to West Hartford the night before, sleep at D#1's house and the 5 of us drive down that morning. What time should we leave? Traffic problems? About how long a drive? I'm sure I gave you a route for this before. I'd leave at 8-9 am. Your traffic problems would be whatever is going on in Hartford. If you follow the cars only route you will miss all the truck traffic on I95. You should be able to do this easily in less than 3 hours. Port parking is $171. To give you some perspective, I took Enttours from Braintree MA leaving at 7:15 am with a stop in Hartford around 9 am (long enough for folks to go get coffee) and another pit stop on I95 and we arrived at Cape Liberty at 12:10 pm.

(3) The 3 of us leave RI the night before, pickup the other 2 up in West Hartford at about 6:30 pm and stay near the port (looks like the Elizabeth, NJ area is what most CC folks recommend that night. Drive/Park at port the next morning. Port parking is still $171 plus 2 hotel rooms at $100-120, but you will be in the area the night before.

??? Thanks.

Let us know what you decide.

Did a quick map search on Google and it appears to be about a 3 hour drive to the port from West Hartford using I-95 South. 3 and a half if you use I-84 to I-87.

I-84 to I-87 maybe the better bet since you can avoid the NYC area which is usually always congested.

If you left say 8 or 9 AM you could be at the pier by 1 or 2 allowing for a rest stop and some traffic. It is doable and you should have no issues getting there.

Less stress would be staying in a hotel near pier and some I believe some let you leave the car there while you are on the cruise. If you check other threads you will find that info.

Do not know about the buses.

Hope this helps.:)

Yes, 138east. You did give me driving directions from West Hartford. Was all set with decision to stay at DD#1's and drive from West Hartford that morning, but she is complaining/worrying about traffic issues.

I'll let you know what we decide and how it all turns out. Thanks.

Well, traffic through NYC is always a worry whether you take the bus or drive yourself the same day or the day before. If you can go west on I84 against the inbound Hartford traffic, I'd do that and leave at 8 am. Pick up I684 at Danbury and the Hutchinson River Pkwy at White Plains/Rye. Otherwise, if you can cut across to the Wilbur Cross, I'd do that.

IMO Hartford is close enough to drive down the same day, but you have to do what you feel most comfortable with.

Archived