Unpacking/packing Service for Suite Guests

wavefairy

This used to be offered as a perk for full suite guests. Was actually on the Suite Amenity Menu, but it is no longer there. I have no idea when this disappeared, but it's gone. I know 2007 it was there, but can't remember the last time I noticed it. Now that being said, we have never used it. Only was asked once if we wanted help and that was on the Sapphire Princess in the Grand Suite a few years ago, but I declined.

We were asked on the Emerald in October 2010 but we declined - and will do so again if asked next month on the Sapphire. Hardly worth the effort for just 2 carry-ons or 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on (love the laundry perk!).

I've never had a full suite so I pack in lightweight mesh cubes; when my suitcase is delivered, I just take the cubes out and put them on the shelves or in drawers. A few things are hanging but this really cuts down on the unpacking hassle when I really want to go out and start enjoying my cruise. When packing to go home, I start packing the cubes a couple of days before with clothing I'm not going to wear again and when it comes time to pack my bag, I just put the cubes in the suitcase. I resisted using cubes for years but now I'm a believer.

I've never had a full suite so I pack in lightweight mesh cubes; when my suitcase is delivered, I just take the cubes out and put them on the shelves or in drawers. A few things are hanging but this really cuts down on the unpacking hassle when I really want to go out and start enjoying my cruise. When packing to go home, I start packing the cubes a couple of days before with clothing I'm not going to wear again and when it comes time to pack my bag, I just put the cubes in the suitcase. I resisted using cubes for years but now I'm a believer.

Pam,

Can you tell me where you got the mesh cubes? It sounds really interesting AND helpful.... Thanks!

Gabrielle

I agree. DH & I did 3 weeks (land vacation) in Europe with a carryon each using mesh cubes.

Pam, it's the only way to travel! Even my DH uses them and we have two different colors, too. We unpack in minutes.

So, what size(s) do you recommend? I lloked at Mageelan site... I got a bit overwhelmed... So which ones do you like (ANYONE!) I can see how useful they would be for packing and unpacking.

Who needs soemone to unpack for them right?

THANKS for the information!

Gabrielle

So, what size(s) do you recommend? I lloked at Mageelan site... I got a bit overwhelmed... So which ones do you like (ANYONE!) I can see how useful they would be for packing and unpacking.

Here's what I have (remember, I travel solo):

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Packing_Cubes___FoldersLP969 (2x)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Packing_Cubes___FoldersLP208 (2x)

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_Aids___Packing_Cubes___FoldersLP992 (2x)

I love the expandable cubes because I expand them, pack 'em up, then zip up the expansion to compress the clothes. I put all of my "unmentionables", including socks and stockings, in the tube cubes; shirts in one of the larger cubes, pants and more shirts in the other larger cube.

THANKS for the information!

Gabrielle

Mine are 12 years old; I bought them when I spent a summer in Europe and they were perfect for the frequent moving around I did. I have 3 of the "shirt size" with a folding board and flaps on top that Velcro close. (These are very similar...I see they've done away with the Velcro). These are perfect for shorts, Ts, slacks and sweaters. I have two larger zip bags (one for swimwear and one for undies). I have two small zip bags...I usually put chargers/ear buds in one and medications in the other. These get packed in my carry on.

DH doesn't use them...he doesn't like them.

I don't mind unpacking but I would really love packing services on the return. I HATE doing that.

I just bought them this past year and used them on our family cruise in Dec. Hubbie had one color, me another and son another. Popped those babies on shelves and in drawers - done. Now, I just finished packing for our upcoming TA, and they're great! We have lots of clothes but they are packed into just two 21" and 2 shoulder totes.

Like I wrote, this isn't a perk that is even offered anymore for Suites!!

Now, I would think you would have to pay a good amount for a cabin steward to unpack! I hate to do my own.:D

Actually, this was listed in our perks as an amenity in our suite just last month, and our steward offered. But even though unpacking and packing isn't my favorite thing to do, I prefer to do it myself so I know where to find everything, so didn't take advantage of it.

But it was definitely offered.

• 4 weeks later...

I searched back to find this thread. If anyone is interested in the Eagle Creek packing cubes and pack it folders that were mentioned above, I just received a mailing from The Container Store that they are 25% off during their travel sale (I'm not sure how long it lasts, but it just started). I'll post the link, but it may get zapped. If it does, just to The Container Store website and search on Eagle Creek.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/clothingOrganizers?N=251

Their Nalgene travel bottles are also on sale. I've been using these same bottles, at home and for travel, for about 15 years. They're indestructible. Love buying jumbo sized products to fill them...lots of savings.

Actually, this was listed in our perks as an amenity in our suite just last month, and our steward offered. But even though unpacking and packing isn't my favorite thing to do, I prefer to do it myself so I know where to find everything, so didn't take advantage of it.

But it was definitely offered.

Actually it is no longer a suite amenity. The Princess website no longer includes it:

http://www.princess.com/html/global/popups/metas/suite.html

We also were on a cruise in April (Sapphire Princess - Grand Suite) and it was not included in suite amenity list in the cabin nor was it included on our December 2011 cruise.

It has not been offered on the last 5 cruises we have taken. I think it was just a fluke you were asked. We haven't been asked in years.

I agree, I wouldn't want anyone to unpack my clothes anyway!

Archived