Budapest

harold90

hi

can anyone tell me how far it is from where the cruise boats dock, to Budapest central market? + how far is it?

any help appreciated.

harold.

P.S

sailing end of june, Budapest to nurenberg (with Prague extension) on

"Amadeus Elegant"

It depends on what side your on...Buda or Pest.

Pest is the side which has the Central Market.

The riverboats dock on both sides of the Danube...sometimes on the Buda side (which would require, I think, a cab ride to the Market) and sometimes on the Pest side (which is flatter and closer to the Central Market).

I think you should contact the cruise company and find out where they intend to dock the boat (they, almost certainly, have that information by now).

We stayed on the Pest side and loved it!

The Buda side is lovely as well but hilly and, in my opinion, a little more difficult to get around to see the main commerce and sights.

FWIW....A few years ago my Avalon ship was berthed just a few blocks north of the Liberty Bridge where the Central Market is, as has been said, on the Pest side. The AMA ship was berthed just a few boat lengths north of us. It is indeed within walking distance.

Walk across the Chain Bridge to the Buda side so that you can take great pictures of the Parliament Building with the Danube flowing by. It will require some climbing but it's worth it or take the bus across as we also did and it drops you right at Matthias Church. Walk then toward the river and there are excellent places to view the Danube, the Parliament and perhaps your ship! What a gorgeous town and the metro is wonderful.

[/url]

We were on Avalon as well last November and our riverboat was parked on the Pest side right across the street/tram tracks from the Intercontinental Hotel. We literally walked out of the Hotel and pulled our rolling luggage across the street and boarded the boat. Avalon did have a bus as well to shuttle passengers from the Intercontinental across the street if you did not feel like walking it yourself or pulling your suitcase. Viking as well had a boat parked nearby on the Pest side.

We loved staying on the Buda side at the Intercontinental, very convenient for sightseeing and we also walked across the Chain bridge and took the Funicular up to the Castle area and Fisherman's Bastion. Great views at dusk if you are on the Buda side and want to take pictures of the Parliament Building illuminated. Such a wonderful city to visit!!!

Isn't the Intercontinental in Pest? :confused::confused:

Is there more than one hotel by that name

So sorry for the confusion. I was typing faster then I could think:eek: Yes, the Intercontinental Hotel is on the Pest side right by the Chain Bridge and the Tram Tracks along the Danube and that is where the Avalon boat was docked. There is only 1 Intercontinental Hotel to my knowledge in Budapest and it is in a wonderful location.

So sorry for the confusion. I was typing faster then I could think:eek: Yes, the Intercontinental Hotel is on the Pest side right by the Chain Bridge and the Tram Tracks along the Danube and that is where the Avalon boat was docked. There is only 1 Intercontinental Hotel to my knowledge in Budapest and it is in a wonderful location.

Thanks for the clearing that up

;)

I know there are 2 Marriotts so was not sure

We are booked in the Marriott apt hotel in June looking forward to seeing Budapest

"We are booked in the Marriott apt hotel in June looking forward to seeing Budapest."

Lynn,

If this is your 1st trip to Budapest, you will have a wonderful time. It is beautiful, easy to get around and there is so much to see and do. Have a great trip!! :)

We are staying 1 night at the end of our cruise in September. Any walking tour suggestions for the Pest side of the river? I believe the included tour the previous day will focus on the Castle area so was hoping to tour the Pest side from the river uptown.

We are staying 1 night at the end of our cruise in September. Any walking tour suggestions for the Pest side of the river? I believe the included tour the previous day will focus on the Castle area so was hoping to tour the Pest side from the river uptown.

If you are a good walker, you can get around very well on your own. We walked ad lib to tour the sights most popular in Budapest. (Shoes on the Danube, Jewish Quarter and beautiful Synagogue, St. Stephens Church, Budapest Opera House and we took the Metro to Hero's Square and back). Get a map and talk to the Concierge at your Hotel. We found Budapest very easy to do on our own. We did have a city bus tour included with Avalon, but it was more of a repeat visit to some of the previous sites we had visited on our days prior on our own in Budapest.

"We are booked in the Marriott apt hotel in June looking forward to seeing Budapest."

Lynn,

If this is your 1st trip to Budapest, you will have a wonderful time. It is beautiful, easy to get around and there is so much to see and do. Have a great trip!! :)

Yes 1st trip there

We are going with friends so I am sure we will enjoy the city

I have lots of notes on what to see/do ;)

Lyn

We stayed at the Inter-Continental last year for four days before boarding our riverboat (MS Swiss Jewel); a Tauck Cruise. We walked to the Central Market. It was a flat walk; not very strenuous and plenty of sight-seeing along the way.

Archived