Automatic Upgrade?

redpatti

I'm wondering if it's possible that in order to accommodate other upsells, if a cruise line will auto upgrade you for what they think is a better location. I have done a lot of research on my cabin location and do not wish to move without them speaking to me first as some of the "better" categories are IMO in undesirable locations on the ship.

Is this something that I need to worry about?

The only time in about 40 cruises that they threatened to change my cabin was on Ecstasy where I booked a cabin, knowing the OV I choose was being changed to a balcony. If I knew, so did the cruiseline. I booked ES and would have just chosen a cheaper Port Hole otherwise but cant downgrade with ES.

They tried to box me in and demanded $400 more or they would move me to a OV of their choice.

I had a PVP who fought for me and got a supervisor to cancel the booking without penalty. If I knew the cabin was being upgraded so did Carnival. They are sneaky weasels when it comes to money imo... but I do have a good PVP to get things fixed as well as they can be fixed.

I'm wondering if it's possible that in order to accommodate other upsells, if a cruise line will auto upgrade you for what they think is a better location. I have done a lot of research on my cabin location and do not wish to move without them speaking to me first as some of the "better" categories are IMO in undesirable locations on the ship.

Is this something that I need to worry about?

You can be listed as wishing to receive any complimentary upgrade or can be listed as "NO UPGRADE" I don't think they have an "Upgrade with approval" choice but let me know if you find that this can be done.:)

Generally they won't move you before asking unless you don't meet the minimum requirements for the cabin (ie, handicap cabin but don't need it, quad cabin for only 2, etc).

We've had 2 upgrades (2 different lines) and neither time we were contacted. We found out about the changes by keeping an eye on our reservation online. Both times the change was 2 days prior to sailing.

I agree, contact the cruiseline (or have your TA do it, if you used one) and have "NO UPGRADES" put on your reservation. Be aware, if there is something wrong with the room, you may be moved, anyway.

:)

You can be listed as wishing to receive any complimentary upgrade or can be listed as "NO UPGRADE" I don't think they have an "Upgrade with approval" choice but let me know if you find that this can be done.:)

I dont think you can say this is true of all cruiselines. RCL has a place online to check if you dont want to be upgraded.

Carnival has no such animal. Carnival no longer even has a place on the booking form to request table size, (though some TAs tell their clients to placate them, sure Ill make a note of it).

My friends received a surprise upgrade on Princess to a Grand Suite.

It really depends on the cruiseline.

Archived