Verizon wireless

bibbysnow

I haven't been on a cruise yet, but I'm guessing the answer is going to come back to call when the ship docks. There are no cell phone towers on the open water. I'd also keep in mind about the added cost of using a cell phone outside of CONUS.

Call Verizon and tell them exactly what you want to do. They are usually very helpful and will walk you through the process.

I vote for this answer. Call verizon and see what is available for your specific plan/phone. It will likely be cheaper to use your cell at sea than using the stateroom phones. My verizon phone on the Explorer charged $2.49/min for calls.

I believe Verizon charges $2.49 per/minute for calls made from sea; most modern cruise ship shave their own cell towers and have contracts with the major cell phone providers where you are billed on your regularly monthly cell phone bill for air time. Be very careful about having data turned off though. Data charges are crazy expensive at sea and if your phone starts doing an automatic update or what not your bill could easily exceed $1,000!

Dec Rates from Verizon.

Global Data:$20.48/MB

Call made and received:$2.49 /per minute

TXT:Send $.50 / Receive $.05

When you turn on your device to roaming Verizon will send you an automated text message with this information.

As soon as I received this information. I immediately set phone to Airplane mode and used WIFI in the ports of call.

Use WiFi in ports of call.

Google Talk with video option is nice on wifi

Skype also works nicely over wifi.

We texted our kids when in port just to check in. Much cheaper thatn calling and less likely to cause issues of missing mom & dad. Would also text if you need to check in with work-much less likely to get sucked into stuff on a text vs live talk. Unless it is an emergency, would not spend the time or $$$ to actually call to talk with someone.

Call Verizon and ask about the Global plan - I've used that and they will pro-rate for the week(s) you need it. Ended up being only $20 for the week and I had unlimited data, phone and text all except for one port I couldn't use my phone there because they didn't provide service. Verizon will tell you what islands they provide service too.

I recommend calling - I went into an office first - they had NO clue - called and was up and running in no time.

However, you do need to have a smart phone with the sim card & already be Global ready. If you do not have that ask what else they recommend - or do as others have said and go in airplane mode & turn off data and use wi-fi in ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

I called and was told I can get the global, phone only, no date plan for around $4.95. Just for the time I need it. Make sure when you call, that you get someone who knows what they are talking about and write down the name of the person and what they said.

What I couldn't figure out is, can I use that on the ship, but from what the responces here sound like, I am guessing no, it would cost me more on the ship. I will look into it closer to when i go.

Verizon used to be free in St Thomas and San Juan, that has changed.

I called and was told I can get the global, phone only, no date plan for around $4.95. Just for the time I need it. Make sure when you call, that you get someone who knows what they are talking about and write down the name of the person and what they said.

What I couldn't figure out is, can I use that on the ship, but from what the responces here sound like, I am guessing no, it would cost me more on the ship. I will look into it closer to when i go.

Verizon used to be free in St Thomas and San Juan, that has changed.

I only used my phone while docked at a port & turned off while at sea.

Interesting about St Thomas and San Juan - thanks for posting that, I will look into it when I get the global plan again.

Just thinking: Right now I am still under the unlimited data plan, but sense that has changed, I'm sure the global did too - again thanks for posting that ;)

I only used my phone while docked at a port & turned off while at sea.

Interesting about St Thomas and San Juan - thanks for posting that, I will look into it when I get the global plan again.

Just thinking: Right now I am still under the unlimited data plan, but sense that has changed, I'm sure the global did too - again thanks for posting that ;)

So you have used the global plan?? And it really does mean you can call from the islands?

I could not believe it when they told me San Juan and St Thomas are no longer in the plan. I even called twice more to ask.

So you have used the global plan?? And it really does mean you can call from the islands?

I could not believe it when they told me San Juan and St Thomas are no longer in the plan. I even called twice more to ask.

Global phone gives you discounted rates in some countries is really not worth it in the islands. I added it to my son's phone when he was in the UK for 3 weeks because it reduced the per minute rate by 30 cents. For a week long Caribbean cruise, I wouldn't add it especially since the rate isn't reduced in the two ports you mentioned.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Global_Phone/plans_coverage.html

Verizon does not have a prorated unlimited global data package anymore. That was discountinued over a year ago. The current rates for data can be found at this link.

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/GlobalData/rates_coverage.html

What do I do? Turn it off and lock it in the safe.

A cruise is one of the very very rare times that I do not have to be tethered to the miserable device.

Just be aware, one time I accidentally left the phone on for about 2 hours and got dinged with over $80 in data charges.

What do I do? Turn it off and lock it in the safe.

A cruise is one of the very very rare times that I do not have to be tethered to the miserable device.

Just be aware, one time I accidentally left the phone on for about 2 hours and got dinged with over $80 in data charges.

Normally that is what I do too, this next time, we are leaving the kids behind and I want to be in touch, but if there is not a reasonable cheap way, I have lots of family to take care of the kids, so I won't worry too much. :D I have good kids!

My brother and his wife actually left thier phones at home and only brought thier daughters, that way they could be reached but not by work!

sorry, yes verizon...

Hmmmmm is right. According to their rates list, you should have been charged. I know I wasn't charged the last time we were in St Thomas but that was a few years ago when it was free. I know other carriers don't charge, looks like you got lucky.:)

Archived