Herculaneum

Sea42

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Could you please send me your guide

Mmemichele13@aol.com

We will be there in July

Thanks

Michele

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Hi Cruise Mom42,

I am traveling to Naples on a cruise and am planning on taking the train to Herculaneum. I would appreciate info on the self guided tour!

gwenseasting@hughes.net Cheers

Edited by GeeEss
forgot email address

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.[/quote

We went to both Herculaneum and the Museum in one day. In Herculaneum we used the audio guides which were good and spent about 3 hours there. The museum was magnificent and we were SO glad we went. The building itself is 400 years old so it is wonderful to just walk through and then all the exhibits, sculptures, artifacts....it was a great day! Enjoy.:)

We went to both Herculaneum and the Museum in one day. In Herculaneum we used the audio guides which were good and spent about 3 hours there. The museum was magnificent and we were SO glad we went. The building itself is 400 years old so it is wonderful to just walk through and then all the exhibits, sculptures, artifacts....it was a great day! Enjoy.:)

Thanks for the report!

Were the audio guides available at the site or were guides you had downloaded to your own device?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisemom42--are you home yet? I want to be sure that I do not miss your notes for Herculaneum:) Thanks!

jcurry_3744 @ fuse.net (No spaces)

I am traveling in Provence right now and do not have access to my documents on my home computer. I will send to you when I get home, but that may be too late for SeaFlorida -- sorry.

Hi Everyone,

Cruisemom42 is right on target. I enjoyed Pompeii much more, but I did a lot of research prior to the visit (read 2 books) and went off on our own after the tour guide was done. The only thing stopping our enjoyment of this site was our stamina. Herculeneum was good, but much was closed when we were there.

We spent a week in Sorrento visiting all the sites around Naples and to be honest, I found Sorrento the not so interesting part of the trip. It was a good transportation hub and place to get dinner each night. Perhaps you should do Herculeneum and Pompeii if you are interested in history. The shopping in Sorrento is quite typically tourist - limoncello, aprons with goats, olive oil soap, wood carvings and inlay(quite nice but very expensive). I would go to Capri, Amalfi coast or Paestum over Sorrento.

Hi Cruisemom42,

I am very interested in your notes for a self guided tour. If you are open to sharing my e-mail is jen_rcc@telus.net

Thank you,

Jennifer :)

In case Cruisemom42 can't send you her notes in time, from my day from Naples last July I made these :

Pompeii

I spent just over 2 hours here and followed the route of Rick Steves' podcast.

Herculaneum

where we had 75 minutes.

I would have liked an hour more at each site but was compromised by my family :(

It cost €11 for each site, or €20 if you buy the combination ticket at whichever one you visit first. It's a 10 minute walk from Ercolano Scavi station down to Herculaneum, and nearer 20 coming back because it's uphill and you will be a bit more tired after an hour, maybe more, exploring it. All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

CruiseMom: Seems you've gotten a lot of requests for your notes and, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to add my request to the list! We aren't going until September, so, no hurry. Thank you so much!

sharks48@gmail.com

Cruisemom,

Please add me to your mailing list, we are leaving for our 12 N Med. Cruise on 6/25/12!

Dede

I'd say you need a bare minimum of 2 hours to see the site at Herculaneum. Some do it in less, but miss quite a bit. Thinking back, I'd say that we spent 5 hours on site when we went. We had planned to visit Herculaneum in the morning and Villa Oplontis in the the afternoon, but once we got to Herculaneum we realized we'd need longer there than we had anticipated. (I realize most people won't have the same desire to see things in depth.)

Remember to allow about an hour for taking the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum, then another 20 minutes or so from Herculaneum to Naples.

If you decide Herculaneum is a yes, I'm happy to send you my notes.

Hi- We will overnight in Naples on Celebrity in November. My thought is to take a private tour of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano and Ravello on day 1. Day 2 we would take the train to Herculean and back to the ship. Our ship leaves at 4pm. We've been to Pompei before. Any notes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email is sherrylondon@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
At Herculaneum, you enter from the street through a arch, then walk down a fairly gently incline (circling around the site) until you reach the place to purchase tickets, go the restroom, etc. Then there is another stretch of ramp and at the end a couple of sets of (modern) stairs to get down into the site. I should clarify and say that we took the stairs; I do not remember noticing if there was a further ramp -- there could have been. This point is also the exit.

This will deposit you at the start of one of the several streets or cardos in Herculaneum. The streets themselves are not easy walking, but most of the area has some sort of sidewalk. Word of warning, though: the sidewalks aren't always flat and sometimes you have to make brief detours into the street to get around a house entrance or some ongoing work. The cardos go uphill from the entrance, but if you follow the usual path, you'll go uphill one way, then downhill the next. The slope varies but it's not bad if you're an average walker.

If you go to Google Images and search using "Herculaneum Entrance" you'll find a lot of photos that may give you a better idea.

We are visiting Herculaneum in October and plan on taking public transportation to the site. I would appreciate any notes you have on this. My e-mail is pemom13@optonline.net.

Thank you

Barbara

hello!

will you take another request for your notes? we are on NCL cruise on Sunday, September 23rd-hoping both or one are open and that there is public transportation on Sundays in Npoles...

have been to Pompeii and this time want to go the the archeological museum and herculaneum

we plan to take public transportation to both-does this make sense as a 'do-able'day'?

thanks

Sue

wallaces@maine.rr.com

Hello Cruisemom42,

My husband, 20 month old daughter, and I are traveling to Naples in October so I would appreciate receiving a copy of your self touring notes as well. We don't expect to be able to leave the ship really early since we'll be traveling with a small child. We'd prefer to take a more leisurely approach and get off the ship by mid morning, tour Herculaneum in the afternoon and be back on the ship by 5p. Do you think that is doable? Thank you so much for any insight. My email address is mlloftis@yahoo.com.

We'd prefer to take a more leisurely approach and get off the ship by mid morning, tour Herculaneum in the afternoon and be back on the ship by 5p. Do you think that is doable?
Absolutely. You can accomplish this by train, or you might consider a taxi. There is a set fare from Naples to Ercolano, including a two hour stop at the ruins (which should be sufficient with a young child), of 70 Euro. You can read about the set fares and download the chart from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665 (note that the 2009 rates are still true today). If you think you might use a taxi, I suggest you take this chart with you. It should be posted in every cab and the driver should ask you if you want the set fare, but he may not speak English so having the chart allows you to point at what you want.

We are visiting Herculaneum in October and plan on taking public transportation to the site. I would appreciate any notes you have on this. My e-mail is pemom13@optonline.net.

Thank you

Barbara

hello!

will you take another request for your notes? we are on NCL cruise on Sunday, September 23rd-hoping both or one are open and that there is public transportation on Sundays in Npoles...

have been to Pompeii and this time want to go the the archeological museum and herculaneum

we plan to take public transportation to both-does this make sense as a 'do-able'day'?

thanks

Sue

wallaces@maine.rr.com

Yes, the Circumvesuviana line runs on Sundays, no problem. Below, an excerpt from my notes from a couple of years ago re: using the train to get to either Pompeii or Herculaneum (and then to the Museum, if desired):

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here; it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets. Some trains are express trains and some are local, but they all stop at both Pompeii and Herculaneum. The stop for Herculaneum is Ercolano Scavi. It only takes about 12 minutes (less on an express train) to get to the stop.

After exiting station, you are at the top of a hill. Follow the major road downward. Just keep walking (you should spot small signs pointing you onward) and you'll reach a dead end in about 5-6 blocks where there is a gate to enter the Herculaneum ruins.

For the ride back, retrace your steps and get on a train headed back to Naples (Napoli). To return to the ship, stay on the train until the last stoop (Porta Nolana), exit the station and catch a #1 trolley or #152 bus outside the station (traffic going left with Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Train Station at your back). You won't need to stamp your ticket again. Stay on the tram until you reach Piazza Municipio where the huge cruise ships/Molo Beverello is on the left and the castle on the right.

If you want to go to the Archaeological Museum, you will get on the train but you want to get off one station BEFORE the end of the line, at Napoli Centrale (also called Napoli Garibaldi). Exit the train. You will be on the lower level of the station. Stay on this level.

Follow signs for the Metropolitana (subway), look for the red "M" symbol; Take Metro Linea 2 in direction of Pozzuoli but get off at Cavour (one stop). In this station, you will see a sign that says “Museo,” which points to a long tunnel. The tunnel is well lit, safe, and has a moving walkway. Make your way up to street level and you will be right outside the museum.

P.S. I emailed you both the notes you requested on the site itself.

Edited by cruisemom42

Can't top Cruisemom's comprehensive reply.

But can add that

- the train service on a sunday is half-hourly, same as weekdays.

- Herculaneum is a 15 min walk from Ercolano Scavi station. For those of us who are less mobile or more lazy (my excuse was the hot weather), there's a shuttlebus from the station to the site. From memory the cost is €3 return, you are expected to take the same shuttle back two hours later but that time-scale is ideal for the average tourist.

- for Brits & other EC nationals under 18 or over 65, admission to both Herculaneum & Pompeii is free, for EC under 25s & teachers it's half-price. Take proof of nationality/age.

JB :)