Dolphin swim: Freeport or Nassau

hipwellio

Don't have any experience in Freeport, but we did the Dolphin Swim on Blue Lagoon (booked through DCL) in Nassau this February and it was wonderful. DS8 loved it and even DH had to admit it was great despite his skepticism prior to our trip. The bonus was the the Lagoon's great beach area that we hung out at after the excursion.

We just did the Dolphin Swim in Freeport this past week. It was the highlight of our trip. I can't say how it compares to Nassau but I highly recommend doing it in Freeport through the excursion offered by Carnival. We had a good amount of time in the water with the dolphins. Everyone we encountered was friendly, knowledgeble and helped to make this the highlight of our cruise. I believe it was cheaper than the 2 trips offered in Nassau (Blue Lagoon and the one through Atlantis). We only had around 12 people in our group whereas the Dolphin encounter was packed. If you can swim, go for the Dolphin swim instead of the Dolphin encounter.

• 3 weeks later...

My niece wants to swim with the dolphins. She is an excellent swimmer. I, however, am not as strong a swimmer and am somewhat skittish in water. It doesn't appear they allow observers on these trips. What do you who have done it think? How strong a swimmer does one have to be? Or are there any places where you can do this that will allow observers?

If you are unable to swim I would recommend the Dolphin Encounter rather than the swim. They charge the same amount whether or not you are an observer. We could see the Dolphin Encounter from where our swim occurred and it seemed the had everyone but those currently interacting with the dolphins sitting on the concrete around the "pool" with their feet in the water. Those interacting with the dolphins on the encounter were standing in shallow (just guessing but 3ft) water.

Another option depending on your comfort level is to use a life jacket. They did offer us one before our swim. During our swim we were in the water swimming along side our dolphin for around 10 mins. After our swim was completed we hung onto the side of the "pool" while others in the group swam. Once all in the group swam we lined up in the middle of the pool for the dolphins to come over and follow commands we gave them. Afterwards we (as a couple but you can chose to do this individually) swim with our dolphins towrds the trainers for pictures. I would guess we were in the water for approx 30 mins total (some of it hanging onto the side of the pool). I will say this was an amazing experience and we are both so happy that we did it.

This was my experience in Freeport through UNEXSO

We did the dolphin swim in Nassau (Blue Lagoon) in April. I twas actually the second time for DD and I. It was the highlight of the trip. Everyone on the swim wears a life jacket at Blue Lagoon. I am not the strongest swimmer (I can swim to not drown and tread) and had no concerns at Blue Lagoon. Each swim group was 10 people max and you can pay a reduced fee to observe. They also have a minimum age to swim with the adult as observer but honestly don't know the age.

The Blue Lagoon dolphin swim is not the open water style swim offered in Freeport. We were going to do the Freeport swim a couple of years ago but were advised that only strong swimmers should participate. Because DD was under 16 at the time she could not participate in Freeport unless I did (no observer like Nassau).

My review with pictures of Blue Lagoon starts at post 27 http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1610782&page=2

• 1 month later...

:p

Whether we do Freeport or Nassau Dolphins what if you have a spouse that does not want to do the excursion but watch?? How do you book this ( I am booking with the Carnival).

In nassau, Blue Lagoon has an Observer pass for $25pp.. it includes the ferry ride to the private island, overview class and observation from the dock.

Don't know if Carnival carries this. It has in the past.

If not.. contact BL directly. www.dolphinencounters.com

Hi all,

Ditto on all of the posts regarding Dolphin Encounters on Blue Lagoon Island. My 10 year old daughter and I were there just last week and did the Dolphin Swim and it was amazing and so much better than those offered by the other locales ( this based on word of mouth from others who participated in these other programs )....We were staying at Atlantis for a week and not on a cruise per say however we are also big cruisers! The island is also beautiful with things to do before or after the program such as use of the beach, water equipment, etc.

If you are at all going to be in Nassau, I would explore the Dolphin Encounters website someone else has already shared. You would need to do a taxi over the bridge to Paradise Island to catch the boat to Blue Lagoon Island ( about $11 one way for two people ) ...It is well worth it!

Soleil

Archived