Westerdam Dry Dock

nedspoint

l'll be on her in 4 weeks and was wondering what if anything special they did during the ten day drydock. I know they painted and changed some carpeting as well as all the mechanical maintenance required, but if anything else was done, maybe someone on her now can post an answer.

Westerdam was in dry-dock at the Grand Bahamas Shipyard, in Freeport from 16-25 APR 12 for standard maintenance & upkeep

Love the new avatar Copper - so for us foolish people on the boards what is a standard maintenace and upkeep and when does it go beyond that? how many days for a drydock to really change a ship? Inquiring minds want to know - but if you choose not to share totally understandable;)

There are pictures and a write up on the Holland American blog...they redid the pool on the lido deck. You can view at http://hollandamericanblog.com

Rick

Rick - for me that doesn't tell much - sorry - looking ahead to the Zuiderdam - I do hope they are going to overhaul the plumbing and the ac - of course they won't publish that on the blog - but it would be nice if they told us more of what they did to the ships:)

Yes the Lido Pool deck is now the rubberized faux teak deck. The most amusing was the new carpeting in the Lido. I think it is quite nice, but for four days new carpet fuzz was building up. No amount of vacuuming could keep up.

Dennis

Yes the Lido Pool deck is now the rubberized faux teak deck. The most amusing was the new carpeting in the Lido. I think it is quite nice, but for four days new carpet fuzz was building up. No amount of vacuuming could keep up.

Dennis

What else did they do Dennis? Any new decorating or color changes to the walls, hall carpeting etc? How about the furniture. I heard some of the cabin furniture and public room furnishings were getting a little worn out. I'm looking forward to boarding in a few weeks and hoping that she looks as new as the Eurodam that I sailed last month.

Thanks for letting us know.

One of the more noticeable differences on this go around is the midship pool decking. If you think about the way Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam (after drydock) look, you should get the idea :)

This is a real improvement. The Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam decking near the midship pool is much better and safer than the midship decking on the other DAM ships.

I had not sailed Westerdam prior to the last cruise, so my ability to note changes are pretty limited. The carpeting in Lido and elevator lobbies, and i think the bridge (I did take the tour). I was told on the tour that the biggest changes during dry dock were things you would not see but would notice if you were familiar with the ship from prior sailing. Major changes of the on-board telecommunications, including wireless internet speed. Some stage changes (several million according to the stage manager) in the Vista lounge, but things you would not normally notice like lighting. But to be honest I did not see a lot of new stuff. We had a Deluxe Veranda and no real changes there other than new linens.

Dennis

Archived