Rules for conversation in the dining room!

BigKeith

Thank you for telling me how I may practice my religion. :rolleyes:

If I choose to pray before my meal, I don't expect my dining companions to stop what they're doing; feel free to go right on chatting away amongst yourselves. But I'm sure you can do without my conversational participation for a moment while I pause to ask God's blessings upon my meal. Momentarily bowing out from the conversation in order to pray is no more rude than doing so to chew my food.

Exactly. We do and will pray before a meal. We will not ask anyone to join in or be quiet. No hand holding, prostrations or sermonizing. No need for that. We have about a 10 second prayer when we are dining out, that we say quietly amongst ourselves. If I am not going to tell you whether to pray or not or ask you to stop what you are doing, what possible difference could it make to you if I take ten seconds to say a quick prayer?

People who wear their faith like a costume are sad examples of how lost the human species can become.

Looking back on some of your posts, that is quite an ironical statement. I really hope that when I reach my eighties, I won't have so much anger and be so cynical and sarcastic. Look back on some of your posts. You seem to feel the need to attack so many posters for their points of view.

Maybe it is just easier to get angry with people on a forum than to confront your own anger.

I really hope that you can put whatever these issues are to rest and live life in a lighter, happier non-confrontational way.

Thank you for telling me how I may practice my religion. :rolleyes:

If I choose to pray before my meal, I don't expect my dining companions to stop what they're doing; feel free to go right on chatting away amongst yourselves. But I'm sure you can do without my conversational participation for a moment while I pause to ask God's blessings upon my meal. Momentarily bowing out from the conversation in order to pray is no more rude than doing so to chew my food.

Oh, and if you ask if I'm praying to the Easter Bunny . . . I will certainly answer your question. Word to the wise -- if you don't want to hear about my religious beliefs, don't ask about them!

So, as a Christain you don't care about how other people feel. It is only about you. That about sum up your position?

Ypu don't care about others, just yourself?

Kindly re-read my post and then tell me how you came to that conclusion. I clearly stated that in my praying I would not attempt to interfere with my tablemates' conversation or dining; and if any of them didn't want to hear about my religious beliefs, I wouldn't talk about it unless I were asked.

I take it, therefore, that you feel that merely exercising my beliefs, in as low-key a manner as possible, makes me uncaring of how other people feel? You, on the other hand, can freely and openly criticize me for praying before eating, without feeling any compunction about how I might feel about that.

Pot, meet kettle.

You know, call me a cynic, or overexposed to the seamier side of life in my profession, but I'd have to wonder what exactly was inside those books that looked like bibles. They probably were what they seemed, but you'd be amazed at what child predators will do to get close to children.

While I agree that predators can be pretty conniving, I have a hard time thinking that a guy with a cart full of bibles standing in front of a high school in broad daylight is a child molester. There would be a lot less public ways of grooming a teenager rather than in front of 500 witnesses in a rather conspicuous manner.

Looking back on some of your posts, that is quite an ironical statement. I really hope that when I reach my eighties, I won't have so much anger and be so cynical and sarcastic. Look back on some of your posts. You seem to feel the need to attack so many posters for their points of view.

Maybe it is just easier to get angry with people on a forum than to confront your own anger.

I really hope that you can put whatever these issues are to rest and live life in a lighter, happier non-confrontational way.

I don't claim to be any more perfect or any better than any other person. I'm just grateful that God has helped me to perceive his love and blessings which gives me added feelings of happiness and peace. Not that I particularly deserve these feelings due to any action of mine. It is neither earned nor deserved. Just freely given by God. I can't help but hope others get to have the same experience. I've had folks tell me they have just as much peace and joy without knowing God yet they seem to hold so much hate and anger I must wonder if this is true.

I don't claim to be any more perfect or any better than any other person. I'm just grateful that God has helped me to perceive his love and blessings which gives me added feelings of happiness and peace. Not that I particularly deserve these feelings due to any action of mine. It is neither earned nor deserved. Just freely given by God. I can't help but hope others get to have the same experience. I've had folks tell me they have just as much peace and joy without knowing God yet they seem to hold so much hate and anger I must wonder if this is true.

Yes, that's the feeling I have too.

Archived