Rules for conversation in the dining room!

BigKeith

I say, get it all out of the way with this opening question: Should the government ban prayers in school for a girl who is about to get an abortion but cannot really afford it due to the bad economy, and should I have sent that girl the $1000 I paid for this cruise instead of sitting here watching you overweight people eat that disgusting escargot?

:p:p:p:p:p

Should the government ban prayers in school for a girl who is about to get an abortion but cannot really afford it due to the bad economy, and should I have sent that girl the $1000 I paid for this cruise instead of sitting here watching you overweight people eat that disgusting escargot?

-----------------------------

Yes. And probably.

Have you heard the good news about the flying spaghetti monster?

http://www.venganza.org/

He boiled for your sins.

That usually brings THAT conversation to a screeching halt. :D

Another stopper:

I tell them I am a Baal worshiper and sacrificed my firstborn to Moloch and the darn security people gave me trouble about bringing my Asherath Pole on board. :D

She is doing her Master Degree in Holocaust Studies. She will graduate in June.

She has a BA in Religion and a BA in History.

--------------

Lois, could you also pay for your daughter to attend our cruise?? I would love to talk to her !!!

I'm sure she would love that but unfortunately, I can only afford to pay for one cruise for her.;)

Lois

Electro: DW and I reenact WW2, we are total history geeks, err, buffs, and one of her favorite subsets of study is the Holocaust!

We're in, make two places at the table, please!

Oh, and if you really want an eye-opening dinner conversation, sit down with a bunch of old, burned-out Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, or ER staff when they are trading "war stories". We have a tendency toward discussing the REALLY WEIRD things that patients present as medical problems. And our appetites aren't usually affected by the gory details or situations that make most sane people run for the hills! :eek: Our main problem is to keep the ambient conversation below the hearing level of our neighboring diners to prevent them from reaching for a "distress bag".:rolleyes:

Oh, and if you really want an eye-opening dinner conversation, sit down with a bunch of old, burned-out Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, or ER staff when they are trading "war stories". We have a tendency toward discussing the REALLY WEIRD things that patients present as medical problems. And our appetites aren't usually affected by the gory details or situations that make most sane people run for the hills! :eek: Our main problem is to keep the ambient conversation below the hearing level of our neighboring diners to prevent them from reaching for a "distress bag".:rolleyes:

LOL, try eating with a group of the folks I work with -- veterinarians.

My religion does not allow me to worship cats. However, if I'm allowed to just sit there and pet them for an hour, I'd be glad to attend your services!

Hate to tell you this, but as far as the cats are concerned that pretty much is worshiping them :) They would also be very pleased if you brought them offerings of tuna.

Another stopper:

I tell them I am a Baal worshiper and sacrificed my firstborn to Moloch and the darn security people gave me trouble about bringing my Asherath Pole on board. :D

Not really related but I'll share it anyway... when I was in my late teens I bought a lovely pendant, it's a silver snake wrapped around an obsidian crystal. I didn't buy it for any particular reason other than that I liked it. But I found it would come in quite handy, if I happened to be wearing it and was being hit on/pestered by some annoying guy I'd just touch the pendant and look him right in the eyes and say "Oh I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to mate outside the cult". That would usually do the trick.

The subject of religion reminds me of something that happened today. We were at my daughter's public high school to pick her up at the end of the school day. When we got to the gate she'll exit from, a guy asked us if that's the gate the kids will come out of. We said some (it's not the main exit). I noticed he had some boxes by him that were marked "Testament" and a dolly. I groaned inside -- they must be bibles in that box. I was so tempted to say something then, but figured my hubby will kill me for making a scene. So I ignored him and waited for my girl, figuring we'll just go in a path away from him to get to our car. As we were walking off, the guy approached my daughter anyway and offered one of his books but she quickly told him off that he shouldn't be passing those off on school grounds (like me, she figures that sidewalks surrounding schools are still part of the school). I quickly said, it's not appropriate for him to be passing those out here (before my hubby hustled us away -- I guess he was worried my girl and I would take on the stranger).

To me, it's inappropriate to go up to people and start talking about religion (that if one is interested, they can always go to a church and the officiant there would be happy to talk).

I'm one of those with a weak stomach. But my wife would be all for it (she's an L&D nurse, I get to hear about all kinds of stuff I'd rather not know about).

Not really related but I'll share it anyway... when I was in my late teens I bought a lovely pendant, it's a silver snake wrapped around an obsidian crystal. I didn't buy it for any particular reason other than that I liked it. But I found it would come in quite handy, if I happened to be wearing it and was being hit on/pestered by some annoying guy I'd just touch the pendant and look him right in the eyes and say "Oh I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to mate outside the cult". That would usually do the trick.

Oh, so that girl in high school was just trying to blow me off? I joined that cult for nothing??!!

There's a few things I might not want discussed, but I wouldn't mind an intelligent, spirited discussion. Personally, I love hearing about different points of view; it'd be awfully boring to talk to someone who thought exactly like I do.

Unfortunately, we're usually seated by ourselves (family of four); one time we had good tablemates, but had to move because of abysmal service. Ah well, we'll keep trying!

The subject of religion reminds me of something that happened today. We were at my daughter's public high school to pick her up at the end of the school day. When we got to the gate she'll exit from' date=' a guy asked us if that's the gate the kids will come out of. We said some (it's not the main exit). I noticed he had some boxes by him that were marked "Testament" and a dolly. I groaned inside -- they must be bibles in that box. I was so tempted to say something then, but figured my hubby will kill me for making a scene. So I ignored him and waited for my girl, figuring we'll just go in a path away from him to get to our car. As we were walking off, the guy approached my daughter anyway and offered one of his books but she quickly told him off that he shouldn't be passing those off on school grounds (like me, she figures that sidewalks surrounding schools are still part of the school). I quickly said, it's not appropriate for him to be passing those out here (before my hubby hustled us away -- I guess he was worried my girl and I would take on the stranger).

To me, it's inappropriate to go up to people and start talking about religion (that if one is interested, they can always go to a church and the officiant there would be happy to talk).[/quote']

I can understand your concern....to this extent:

If the man was handing out copies of the Bible in either the King James, New American Standard or similar variations, I would have thanked him for caring enough to share the inspired word of God with my son or daughter, for I don't want them to be condemned for eternity.

The Bible says there is only one way unto heaven and that is by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.

Had he handed out any other false doctrine, teaching or non-christian faith I would have been greatly angered. So for me, it would matter what he was handing out.

God bless.

Not touching that last one.

I just watched a fascinating discussion on C-Span between two economists, one Republican and one Democrat, about tax reform. I found the method of their conversation almost as interesting as the content. There was no shouting, no personal attacks. It was clear that these two guys respect each other's intellect, knowledge and experience, yet they come to different conclusions. I learned something from listening to them discuss their perspectives.

If the man was handing out copies of the Bible in either the King James, New American Standard or similar variations, I would have thanked him for caring enough to share the inspired word of God with my son or daughter, for I don't want them to be condemned for eternity.

The Bible says there is only one way unto heaven and that is by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.

Had he handed out any other false doctrine, teaching or non-christian faith I would have been greatly angered. So for me, it would matter what he was handing out.

God bless.

The only part of this post that I disagree with is having great anger at someone whose beliefs are different from yours.

At least you have the insight that ALL doctrines are equally false.

I respect your beliefs and right to express them. However your intolerance of free thought is narrow minded.

Clearly you would be incapable of rational discussion without anger, so should dine alone if possible.

Watch out for cavemen riding dinosaurs.

Not touching that last one.

I just watched a fascinating discussion on C-Span between two economists, one Republican and one Democrat, about tax reform. I found the method of their conversation almost as interesting as the content. There was no shouting, no personal attacks. It was clear that these two guys respect each other's intellect, knowledge and experience, yet they come to different conclusions. I learned something from listening to them discuss their perspectives.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't that civilized. And that's when the problems start.

To me, I admire someone who has the courage to stand up for what they believe. If they want to share it, fine. If I don't share their beliefs, I just say no thank you and move on and don't offer any judgement if I think it's appropriate or not.

At least they have courage to stand up for something. I doubt a kid reading a Bible would be tainted for life.

The subject of religion reminds me of something that happened today. We were at my daughter's public high school to pick her up at the end of the school day. When we got to the gate she'll exit from' date=' a guy asked us if that's the gate the kids will come out of. We said some (it's not the main exit). I noticed he had some boxes by him that were marked "Testament" and a dolly. I groaned inside -- they must be bibles in that box. I was so tempted to say something then, but figured my hubby will kill me for making a scene. So I ignored him and waited for my girl, figuring we'll just go in a path away from him to get to our car. As we were walking off, the guy approached my daughter anyway and offered one of his books but she quickly told him off that he shouldn't be passing those off on school grounds (like me, she figures that sidewalks surrounding schools are still part of the school). I quickly said, it's not appropriate for him to be passing those out here (before my hubby hustled us away -- I guess he was worried my girl and I would take on the stranger).

To me, it's inappropriate to go up to people and start talking about religion (that if one is interested, they can always go to a church and the officiant there would be happy to talk).[/quote']

God bless.

1. We teach our children not to accept sweets from strangers. Can you tell me how they are supposed to know that different rules apply to accepting bibles from strangers? Outside a school is not an appropriate place for dispensing religion, of any sort.
  2. You have your beliefs, and I respect your right to have them, but I do not believe you have the right to condemn the beliefs of others as "false doctrines."

Sidewalks are public property, and members of the public may exercise their First Amendment rights thereon. And while I'm favor of spreading the Gospel of Christ, I'm not too crazy about strangers standing at schools handing things out to school kids. So I'd have to say, yes to what he's doing, but no to where he's doing it.

God bless.

Geez are you going to be so disappointed upon your great demise and are met at the pearly gates by the one true holy spirit - The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You have your beliefs, and I respect your right to have them, but I do not believe you have the right to condemn the beliefs of others as "false doctrines."

He has every right to do so, and we have every right to judge him to be a complete ________________ [fill in the blank].

At least they have courage to stand up for something. I doubt a kid reading a Bible would be tainted for life.

Perhaps not if they read the entire Bible, and read it with understanding and interpretation. However, too many people only read parts of the Bible (or Koran, or any holy text) and then take things out of context. The Bible (and religion in general) has been used to justify a whole lot of things in the course of history, many of which have ended up costing the lives of others.

I can speak from personal history of at least one friend of mine, growing up, whose life was certainly tainted by reading the Bible. (In light of the fact that her parents were religious zealots in a fundamentalist group that verged on being a cult. Let's just say that snake handling isn't all it's cracked up to be.)

Sidewalks are public property, and members of the public may exercise their First Amendment rights thereon. And while I'm favor of spreading the Gospel of Christ, I'm not too crazy about strangers standing at schools handing things out to school kids. So I'd have to say, yes to what he's doing, but no to where he's doing it.

I think many states have rules about things like this -- often there is some perimeter around schools that needs to be observed. But Christianity is a proselytizing religion, it's part of the core beliefs. Some groups emphasize it more than others.

Archived