snorkel goggles

What have you done if you wear glasses and snorkeled? I know that they sell prescription goggles but we have 4 people in my family that wear glasses and am not sure if it is worth the cost.

If you snorkeled without prescription goggles, can you see anything?

Ali

snorkeled without prescription goggles, can you see anything?

Depends on how bad you eyes are. Under water there is a magnification effect, so some "correction" is gained.

I purchased prescription lenses for my goggles and certainly have enjoyed them. However, I recently saw a posting somewhere with a great idea. If you have an old pair of glasses (previous ones would be best) remove the ear pieces and attached a rubber band or elastic to hold them on. If this is thin enough your regular goggles will still fit tight enough to make them water tight or leak very little.

You might want to test them in a pool before your leave. I hope this helps.

I am near sighted (can't see far very well) and I never had a problem seeing under water, as a previous poster noted that everything is magnified underwater. I would get a pair and go to a pool and test them out.

You can buy corrected lens goggles that are like reading glasses. You can, also, buy prescription goggles for more money. Go visit your local dive shop and see what options they can provide for you.

jc

The ones I mentioned above are like the reading glasses. Except, each lense is its own prescription... ie R-2.0, L-2.5

They don't account for astigmatisms, etc.

They cost $30.95+ $5.95 shipping, and come with a sturdy storage case. Well worth the investment, in my opinion, for the vacation snorkler. :D

A~ :)

I am very near sighted and would not be able to see any thing with out correction. I wear contacts and snorkel with them in. I have snorkeled at least 50 times with my contacts and have never had a problem. I also bring a few extra pairs with me just incase. Good luck.

nancy

A brief Google search will find you several places on the internet where prescription masks can be had for about $60. Throw in another $10 or so for a snorkel, then you don't have to use one that's been in someone else's mouth. I bought mine about 3 years ago after renting a prescription mask, and I think I've already recooped my investment after several tropical trips. Buy fins also, but many places you can rent just fins at a low cost and not have to pack them. I know it sounds like a lot for 4 people, but if you are as nearsighted as I am, they are well worth the cost and they last a long time. Don't be concerned that inexpensive lenses may not be an exact fix - they are tons better than no prescription, at worst might be like using your old glasses.

Archived