Suggestions for wheelchair activities in Bermuda

Wvshimmy

Other than an organized excursion (thanks for the tip), any suggestions for activities for wheelchaired cruiser? Not everyone will be wheelchaired, so I'd like a few things we could do without hindering the rest of the group. Trying to find out if the ferries are all accessible. Thanks for input!

The Maritime Museum at Kings Wharf is wheelchair accessible, but it is on top of a hill. I was able to wheel my mom up there - once I made it up the hill, it was fine. The museum has elevators, so all floors are accessible. It was an interesting museum and a beautiful spot and despite its proximity to the ship it was uncrowded. If you have a short day, it's a good activity because you're not venturing away from the port area.

We took my teenage niece to Bermuda on Explorer of the Seas because they have lifts to get into the pool and hot tub. She loved it!

The ship itself was pretty accessible. Bermuda isn't though. The year we took her was the first year that SOME of the buses were w/c accessible and they had a few kinks to iron out. Watch very carefully, and plan PLENTY of time to catch a special w/c bus. They are the ones with a door in the middle of the side of the bus for the ramp. THEY DO NOT RUN EVERY HOUR.

If two ppl can lift your disabled person up, go to Tobacco Bay as we did. We took the bus, they walked (she rode lol) up to Tobacco bay and then 2 ppl lifted the w/c to the beach. It is the same grade as the road.

Dockyards in general is accessible to tool around.

We danced every night at the ship club- She had no trouble getting in on the first level. she was shy at first and then became quite the dance partner each night as she wheeled herself closer to the center of the dance floor each night!!! Guys were all over her! She had a great time.

It made me smile! See my website for her, below:

How old is your disabled person?

Thanks, Eileen! I did find a glass bottom tour that accommodates wchairs and some info. On the ferries. As mom turned 88 on the Jewel in February, I'm not sure she'll be up for the dancing, but I do want to get her off the ship as much as possible, ESP. Since we're there 3 days. The staff and crew on the Jewel wereFANTASTIC with her; very helpful and accommodating! I'm sure the Star will be the same. Glad your niece had such a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just located a word doc that I compiled from my research for the cruise to Bermuda with my paralyzed niece, Melissa.

I had copied/pasted links and CC posts that I thought would be helpful. (actually for both able bodied and w/c traveling together)

You can email me privately, if you'l like, and I'll send it to you. See my email address below. Just substitute the "dot":) Actually, anyone who needs the information I have compiled are welcome to it! I give partial credit to the CC'ers that I c/p from.

Please put Cruiscritic Bermuda accessibility in subject line?

Just realized you're from pa! Grew up outside Allentown and mom still has her home there. Thanks again! We're heading to the Big Apple tomorrow so the trip won't be so long in the early AM.

We live near the Lansdale exit of the NE extension of the turnpike.

Hope all goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI: we had a great time in Bermuda! Had mom off the ship all 3 days. We ferried to Hamilton the first day, did a cab tour (5hours) the next, and did the dockyard and trolley the last. Since I had some male assistance, mom got to see EVERYTHING, even down the path at the aquarium! We actually had more challenges on the Star, as many of the crossovers on the ship were quite high and there were no specific handicapped bathrooms, other than our room. But with some engenuity, we succeeded! Great trip! Thanks for all your input! Looking at the breakaway for a brand new ship experience!

Just an FYI: we had a great time in Bermuda! Had mom off the ship all 3 days. We ferried to Hamilton the first day, did a cab tour (5hours) the next, and did the dockyard and trolley the last. Since I had some male assistance, mom got to see EVERYTHING, even down the path at the aquarium! We actually had more challenges on the Star, as many of the crossovers on the ship were quite high and there were no specific handicapped bathrooms, other than our room. But with some engenuity, we succeeded! Great trip! Thanks for all your input! Looking at the breakaway for a brand new ship experience!

Hi,

Glad you had a great time and were able to get around. We're also bringing my mother in law and she'll need a walker. I was glad to hear that your Mom was able to see everything. And you got around without much difficulty.

Did you have any problems bringing something like that on board the ferries? I thought I read somewhere that the pink line(to Hamilton) is not wheelchair friendly :confused: but not sure about walkers. Were you able to bring a wheelchair or walker on?

I did e-mail a company that does the glass bottom sunset cruise and they said walkers and oxygen are permitted on the boat but the wheelchairs had to be left at the dock. So I was happy to hear that.

We did book a tour the day we arrive so that will be great!

If you have any other tips I would love to hear all about it. We really want to make this a special trip for her.

Thank you again

Liz

Last week the ferry to Bermuda was wheelchair friendly

We also noticed at Horseshoe Beach they had sand wheelchairs for use

Thank You:)

This info will make our trip a lot easier. All the times we've ever been to Bermuda I have never seen the sand wheelchairs.

I quess Bermuda is getting a little more disabled friendly:).

Cheers

Liz

This is brand new -- June 2012

6943466710_a2c0043d15_m.jpg&q=100&w=150&h=150 MV Destiny wheelchair accessible

Lovely glass bottom boat tour at different locations, 9:45 a.m. Tues. at Dockyard -- check chart for other times and locations. goggle Destiny tours, Bermuda. :)

This is brand new -- June 2012

6943466710_a2c0043d15_m.jpg&q=100&w=150&h=150 MV Destiny wheelchair accessible

Thank you:)

I did email them and they don't offer sunset cruises.Only day cruises.

I am hoping that the "Bermuda Pirates sunset glass bottom" excursion thru Royal will also except oxygen canisters.

I think the walker will not be a problem.

I can't seem to find them online to email them.

Hopefully the excursion desk will have some answers.

Archived