Foreign Currency on Grand Asia Cruise

Maureenxx

Hopefully from someone who's been: What's best way to get foreign currency for small purchases/expenses in the Asian countries?

1. Get a few yen, HK dollars, etc. before we leave home?

2. Exhange $20 on the ship as we go ashore?

3. Are there bank ATM's in the terminal when we land?

4. Will we be able to use US $1, $5 in shops visited on HAL tours?

We'll use our credit card for any major purchases, but wonder how to be prepared for small items of expense, a drink, post card, etc.

Would appreciate advice.

I was on the 2010 Grand Asia/Australia. Unless something has changed since then, currency for most countries visited is available at the Front Office about 24 hours before arrival.

ATM's are available at some ports but not always (Sihanoukville, Cambodia comes to mind). Sometimes US small bills are accepted; sometimes not. I make it a point to obtain local currency for some children at home, even if it's not necessary to have it in port. What I do is take Traveler's Checks on the cruise. The Front Office will exchange them with no fee for US Dollars or local currency. You may also exchange leftover bills (not coins) back into US currency or roll them over into whatever currency is needed next.

Hope this helps. To me it's one of the few remaining uses for traveler's checks.

i always get someof the local currencies before i leave. dollars will be sought after in vietnam, especially. atms are hard to come by in japan (especially okinawa). as a general rule, atms will give you the best exchange rates but watch out for fees. not sure if this advice is applicable to your itinerary, but there it is.

Archived