Service dog for sleep apnea

luckybecky

i also have sleep apnea and have wondered about this as well because i was never offered a service dog for my problem

if you stop breathing during the day (falling asleep) it isn't called sleep apnea, it's called narcolepsy - bit difference, i know somebody that is narcoleptic

i flat out refuse to do a cpap machine ... I stop breathing often (according to the study that was done, my sleep apnea is really bad - but then again i have a strange heart rhythm when i sleep as well). I now take lunesta - it helps me sleep well, and it has helped to cut down the number of times i stop breathing by a large number.

I'm all for service animals if they are really needed, but ships and planes don't serve peanuts because some people have a bad allergy to nuts - well, some people have a bad allergy to pet dander and shouldn't have to risk their lives because people bringing their service animals onto a ship. Sure, people with service animals are entitled to a vacation, but should their vacation interfere with the health of others? I don't think so. And ... Because i believe that the only service animal that should be allowed in public places is that of a seeing eye dog (for the blind), but then that raises questions ... What benefit does a blind person have going on a cruise ship? They can feel the wind, feel the suns rays and heat, smell the food and the ocean - but what are they seeing (not to be rude), but they aren't seeing these other countries or a sunset/sunrise. And because this seeing eye dog doesn't have regular place to go (you know ... Poo), do they just go wherever and then the blind people either step in it because they didn't know it was there (or another passenger does). Just my opinion here (something i don't understand).

spoiled, entitled idiot

What trips me out is that this question has been asked before on JH's blog which only makes me wonder how many other questions are being recycled and "featured" on his blog and how many legit questions are going unanswered.

I've only been here for two months, and I rarely go beyond Page 3. I think I've read the answers to about half of the questions that have been asked, so the likelihood that JH is "recycling" questions is pretty small- people are just incapable of searching for it themselves.

what benefit does a blind person have going on a cruise ship? They can feel the wind, feel the suns rays and heat, smell the food and the ocean - but what are they seeing (not to be rude), but they aren't seeing these other countries or a sunset/sunrise.

Wow. Just....wow. I think that's the most offensive thing I've ever read on CC. Ignorant and DUMB

With that line of thinking, I suppose you and I shouldn't be allowed a comfortable bed, right? I mean, with sleep apnea, we don't sleep much anyway

Edited by NoobCruise

Wow. Just....wow. I think that's the most offensive thing I've ever read on CC. Ignorant and DUMB

I don't find it ignorant or DUMB.

On our last cruise there was a blind lady that had her service dog. We saw her all over the ship and she was always with her friend. At one point my wife and I both asked each other "why would a blind person go on a cruise when they can't see?". It's not a matter of being ignorant or DUMB but rather shows how those of us that can see don't think about our experiences like a blind person does.

It is amazing of the stuff that some people go through just to get the dogs on a cruise with them.

It gives real service dogs a bad name.

I was thinking precisely the same thing.

Is there no limit??

I don't find it ignorant or DUMB.

On our last cruise there was a blind lady that had her service dog. We saw her all over the ship and she was always with her friend. At one point my wife and I both asked each other "why would a blind person go on a cruise when they can't see?". It's not a matter of being ignorant or DUMB but rather shows how those of us that can see don't think about our experiences like a blind person does.

So you don't think there's anything on a cruise a blind person can enjoy without being able to see? Without vision, you can't understand why a blind person might want to get out and experience a cruise as opposed to sitting in their home all the time because they can't see? I'm sorry, I don't understand your line of thinking. Just because a person has lost their vision doesn't mean they've lost all their other senses. Usually, when you lose one sense, you become much more sensitive to all the other senses. I LOVE the feel of the sunshine and wind on my face, the gentle motion of a ship or smaller boat, the smells of the ocean, the sounds of waves crashing on the shore or gently lapping against the sides of the boat. i often will close my eyes just to experience these things. There are many many things to enjoy on a cruise that don't require vision....most particularly, spending time with family/friends.

I find these comments offensive because macular degeneration and blindness runs in my family - on both sides. My mother's grandmother was blind, my mother's father went blind, and my father has lost much of his vision. It is probably in store for me in the future. I can't believe that anyone would think a blind person doesn't need to cruise.

Edited by NoobCruise

You are correct, it is neither ignorant or dumb but lack of personal experience and knowledge.

We saw a blind person at the movies one time...my daughter looked at me and said that was strange...you can't see the movie.

Well, she is right, but she was wrong. They can't see the movie, but they can hear it and experience it with someone.

Most people take sight and hearing for granted and don't realize what we would do without them. Some people have never had them, so everything that we do is the same thing they do and is normal. They can't see anything, but they can hear and taste and feel and be with the people that they love and they just experience it in a different way.

We had a study at school one day where we had to choose to either be blind or deaf for the day, they covered and taped over either your eyes or ears and we had to spend the entire day that way...until that day I never realized the things that we take for granted and would never wish that on anyone.

On the other hand, people say that you can just ignore the dog...well, yes, you can, but what if the person in the cabin after them had the severe allergy and wasn't aware there was a dog in there...you really wouldn't think about it...not being cleaned properly could be disasterous...

There really is not right or wrong, the ONLY wrong is people trying to sail with their pets and pretending to need them for a reason just so they can bring them all over...guess we can thank Paris Hilton for that one! A dog is not an accessory, it is an animal, unless it is medically necessary, leave it home...if you are that attached, stay home with it.

So you don't think there's anything on a cruise a blind person can enjoy without being able to see? Without vision, you can't understand why a blind person might want to get out and experience a cruise as opposed to sitting in their home all the time because they can't see? I'm sorry, I don't understand your line of thinking. Just because a person has lost their vision doesn't mean they've lost all their other senses. Usually, when you lose one sense, you become much more sensitive to all the other senses. I LOVE the feel of the sunshine and wind on my face, the gentle motion of a ship or smaller boat, the smells of the ocean, the sounds of waves crashing on the shore or gently lapping against the sides of the boat. i often will close my eyes just to experience these things. There are many many things to enjoy on a cruise that don't require vision....most particularly, spending time with family/friends.

I find these comments offensive because macular degeneration and blindness runs in my family - on both sides. My mother's grandmother was blind, my mother's father went blind, and my father has lost much of his vision. It is probably in store for me in the future. I can't believe that anyone would think a blind person doesn't need to cruise.

She wasn't agreeing with the blind not being able to cruise, she was just saying that just because someone doesn't understand something doesn't make their statement ignorant or dumb. They just don't have the knowledge or experience that you do so they don't understand the way you do.

I never said that a blind person shouldn't cruise. In matter of fact, in an earlier post I said that I believe they have just as much right to cruise as I do.

What I was saying is that it's not a dumb or ignorant question to ask why a blind person would go on a cruise. People who are not blind don't understand or at least don't think about not being able to see and sometimes question why a person would do something that we do that is very much a "seeing" experience.

OK, you're right. I jumped to offense too quickly, assuming the poster was saying that blind people shouldn't cruise rather than reading it as asking why would they want to. I was wrong and I am sorry.

If you truely don't understand what about a cruise a blind person might enjoy, I (kindly) suggest that the next time you're on a cruise, go out on the deck and close your eyes and just focus on listening, smelling and just feeling the sensations and ask yourself what sensations are enjoyable without vision. You'll find your answer :) you don't require vision to enjoy life.

Edited by NoobCruise

Well, let's see...

Family pets masquerading as service dogs can fly in the cabin of the airliner, not in the cargo hold.

Family pets masquerading as service dogs can come on your cruise with you. Who needs to pay for boarding in a kennel?

Family pets masquerading as service dogs can comes on your cruise for free.

Heading over go that website now. Look what I'll be saving on my next cruise, by not bringing the kids, & not boarding the dogs! :D

I heard on the news that a young boy just got a service Dog ( a lab) for diabetes .. We dont know the entire story of why this lady needs a service dog for Sleep Apnea .. Maybe she has other issues she doesnt want to discuss. Do we look at everybody with a service dog and think to ourselves that they really dont need one and then run to message boards and trash that person ? Im not sure how her having a service dog, effects ANYBODY who has posted a message here . Do you plan on being on the same cruise ? And what if you were ....so what ? Dogs are a part of our everyday life.

I believe that the only service animal that should be allowed in public places is that of a seeing eye dog (for the BLIND), but then that raises questions ... what benefit does a blind person have going on a cruise ship? They can feel the wind, feel the suns rays and heat, smell the food and the ocean - but what are they seeing (not to be rude), but they aren't seeing these other countries or a sunset/sunrise. And because this seeing eye dog doesn't have regular place to go (you know ... poo), do they just go wherever and then the blind people either step in it because they didn't know it was there (or another passenger does). Just my opinion here (something I don't understand).

I was on a cruise four or five years ago where there were about 30 or 40 blind people, all with seeing-eye dogs. They were part of a group and had a sighted tour leader but in such close quarters the dogs would sometimes start messing with each other and getting rowdy and the result would be some of the blind people tripping over them and falling down, which quite a few passengers thought was hilarious.

On the Splendor in 2010 we were at the Chef's Table event and there was a blind man also there (by himself). He had been a chef when he was sighted and said that his experience at the Chef's Table was amazing and one of the most enjoyable things he had done in years.

I don't know if the cruise lines have to follow the ADA or not, but they do otherwise why not refuse to allow the animals. No company wants to risk being sued and the bad publicity that would come from such an issue.

What I find incredibly rude and offensive is your comments about why would a blind person want to cruise since they can't see anything. According to your mentality, why do they even bother to leave their house. They can't see anything anyway. :rolleyes:

Well we have a lot of Doctors here who can diaognose a person based on a post written to a Carnival Cruise Director :).. Anyway , I agree with the low mentality of the person who said a blind person wouldnt want to cruise.. For a person to be labeled "blind" they dont nessasarily need to be totally blind. Some can still see shapes , sizes , light or dark. Next time a blind person sails, maybe one of the people who are against service dogs being on a cruise , can administer an eye test. If they pass, we can just throw the dog overboard.

I never once said the blind shouldn't cruise, all I asked was what benefit did they get out of it ... honestly, I didn't think there should've been anything wrong with the question, but I guess it's wrong to ask because where I'm being called ignorant, dumb and rude - I guess I could say the same about those that felt it "cool" to call me those things. I was asking a question (because maybe someone here knows someone that is blind and knows the answer, but whatever ... excuse me for asking a question). :(

I never once said the blind shouldn't cruise, all I asked was what benefit did they get out of it ... honestly, I didn't think there should've been anything wrong with the question, but I guess it's wrong to ask because where I'm being called ignorant, dumb and rude - I guess I could say the same about those that felt it "cool" to call me those things. I was asking a question (because maybe someone here knows someone that is blind and knows the answer, but whatever ... excuse me for asking a question). :(

I dont think you ignorant or dumb. We like to call it uninformed. Its all good.. As stated not ALL blind people are totally Blind. Not ALL sleep apnea suffers have the same exact degree of sleep apnea as poster #27 or #32 ( for instance) Not all Diabetics are insulin dependent .. You get the idea ..

We were on the Imagination with a lady who had a service dog that she brought to the buffet and picked him up so he could see the deserts and then stuck her finger in the icing for him to taste. I went to the Purser's desk to complain about this behavior and was told it was a service dog, so I guess if she wants to bring him to the MDR she just may be allowed.

That is absolutely disgusting!!!!!

I have sleep apnea and would never dream of having a dog that's a family pet be considered a service dog. I have read many times that for x many dollars a paper mill will issue a certificate saying that Fido is a service dog.

My understanding of service dogs is that they are working dogs and normally sit on the floor in the MDR and not in the owners lap. They usually wear signs saying they are working dogs, although that is not always the case.

I did read about the other person who was on a Med cruise and wanted Carnival to have someone walk her dog while she was off enjoying her excursions, but the dog had to sit on her lap during dinner. She also had sleep apnea.

I wonder how it is that she needs to be awakened at dinner, but is ok to wander around Europe and stay awake. I have also read about a couple who take their dog on all cruises, dress the dog up and cart it around in a baby carriage.

I guess it's much easier to pay a paper mill one time than it is to take Fido to a kennel or pay someone to watch him. I have heard the ADA people are saying companion dogs are not considered service dogs. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, I hope that Carnival and other cruise lines are allowed to ask questions and not just accept that someone says they need their dog with them as they are service dogs.

This is all BS and ruins things for people who really do have problems that need a service dog.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/

Adjective:

• Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  • Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

i have sleep apnea. I also have two Labrador Retrievers. Neither of whom are service dogs.

As one person pointed out - you stop breathing multiple times during your sleep which could create a health risk. This is why they have designed the machine - to force your airway to stay open and help you breath.

No way does a dog do that for you. I have no idea how they managed to get that one to fly - unless they had a medical note that was false?

So the dog was supposed to bark everytime they stopped breathing? Maybe the dog would bark when the light went on the machine?

I personally stop 15 times or more in an hour, but I am not severe - even saying that how would they allow a dog to bark that many times?

And yes - doesn't the dog sleep?

Where does the dog do its business on a ship? How is that not a health violation? What about the people with pet allergies?

The list goes on doesn't it?

I hate when people try to abuse the system...grrr:mad:

My Service Dog has been on 15 cruises [she has since retired and my new dog has only been on one this past March, with one coming-up in October.] My retired dog [brenda] has been on every major market cruiseline and has more friends from every voyage than I'll ever know.

To answer some of your good questions. The ship will provide a 4x5 wooden box [this may requre some pre-training sessions with your dog], it's lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with mulch. The ship will provide everything. I always recommend bringing your own potty bags and pick up the waste after each use [they will provide a receptical.] The box could be placed on an outside deck/in a crew working area or in a stairwell which is my preferred place because it's away from the public.

You may be allergic to my dog, I will do everything I can to keep him away from you. He doesn't bark/ bite/lick/sniff or scratch in public and is a complete gentleman. He has saved my life on many occasions and is truly my hero. You may be missing your own furbaby [the crew always is] and I invite you to pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to.

ANYONE who feeds their Service Dog in the dining room [we, who walk with SD's know NEVER to do this] or allows it to bark where it's disturbing others should be told to put the dog in a crate and pitch them off the ship at the next port. I can't tolerate folks who abuse the system and DON'T do the right thing. Service Dogs should be invisible and to train one to "bark" incessantly to "alert" somone is not only unecessary but is also down-right rude!!!!!!

I have a thread on "Disabled Cruising" on Cruise Critic ~ "Cruising with a Service Dog", which will answer all your good questions. Come on over and join us and thank you for caring.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My Service Dog has been on 15 cruises [she has since retired and my new dog has only been on one this past March, with one coming-up in October.] My retired dog [brenda] has been on every major market cruiseline and has more friends from every voyage than I'll ever know.

To answer some of your good questions. The ship will provide a 4x5 wooden box [this may requre some pre-training sessions with your dog], it's lined with heavy duty plastic and filled with mulch. The ship will provide everything. I always recommend bringing your own potty bags and pick up the waste after each use [they will provide a receptical.] The box could be placed on an outside deck/in a crew working area or in a stairwell which is my preferred place because it's away from the public.

You may be allergic to my dog, I will do everything I can to keep him away from you. He doesn't bark/ bite/lick/sniff or scratch in public and is a complete gentleman. He has saved my life on many occasions and is truly my hero. You may be missing your own furbaby [the crew always is] and I invite you to pat/lay/play or just plain enjoy my miracle-worker if you choose to.

ANYONE who feeds their Service Dog in the dining room [we, who walk with SD's know NEVER to do this] or allows it to bark where it's disturbing others should be told to put the dog in a crate and pitch them off the ship at the next port. I can't tolerate folks who abuse the system and DON'T do the right thing. Service Dogs should be invisible and to train one to "bark" incessantly to "alert" somone is not only unecessary but is also down-right rude!!!!!!

I have a thread on "Disabled Cruising" on Cruise Critic ~ "Cruising with a Service Dog", which will answer all your good questions. Come on over and join us and thank you for caring.

Thank You Thank You Thank You !!! Your dog is welcome in my cabin anytime.. These dogs are life savers.

I heard on the news that a young boy just got a service Dog ( a lab) for diabetes .. We dont know the entire story of why this lady needs a service dog for Sleep Apnea .. Maybe she has other issues she doesnt want to discuss. Do we look at everybody with a service dog and think to ourselves that they really dont need one and then run to message boards and trash that person ? Im not sure how her having a service dog, effects ANYBODY who has posted a message here . Do you plan on being on the same cruise ? And what if you were ....so what ? Dogs are a part of our everyday life.

I beg to differ..........I feel it certainly does affect me (and others) when a person holds the dog up to let it examine the desserts on the buffet and then lets the dog lick icing off of her finger while standing there. That's just unsanitary, unnecessary and disgusting. Period.

My dog of six years may be "part of my everyday life" HOWEVER I do NOT let her lick me anywhere OR allow her to be lifted up to where human food is being served. Maybe I'm just weird that way.

I don't think anyone is "trashing" the OP, but just suspicious that it sounds fishy and that maybe it's just a way to bring a dog on board.

I was recently in a retail store which had a large sign in clear view on the front doors stating "no dogs" and shortly afterwards saw a women pushing a well groomed poodle around in the child seat of the cart...........and I know without a doubt, that dog was NO service dog.