First time cruisers - Epic, Western Med - 6-13 May - a short review

We were first time cruisers on the Epic from 6-13 May and can’t wait to sail her again! We loved everything about the ship and are already looking into sailing her again in June 2013. It was just DH and I on this cruise, but next time we’ll definitely be taking our 12 year old daughter and 18 year old son. We were in a mini suite on deck 10 this time but next time we’ll probably get a balcony cabin for ourselves and the kids can share an inside cabin across the hall.

Getting there

We booked a flight inclusive deal with a TA and would probably use a TA again, but I’d want to arrange the flights differently. We flew from the UK to Barcelona on embarkation day and didn’t get on the ship until 4pm. In fact, the muster drill was about to start as we stepped onboard and we had to go directly to our station in the Manhattan Room. The drill didn’t take long though and we went to our cabin as soon as it was over. Next time, I’d like to start the cruise in Rome and spend a couple of days there pre-cruise, one day to tour there just isn’t nearly enough. Also, that way we’d make sure we were at the terminal early and onboard the ship for lunch.

When we got to our cabin, DH’s suitcase was there but mine wasn’t. I called guest services and they said that bags could be delivered anytime until 6pm so I’d need to wait a little longer. I really wanted to shower and change clothes as we’d been travelling since early that morning, but we decided to explore the ship for a while. Back to the cabin by 6pm and my suitcase still wasn’t there. I called guest services again and they said they’d look for it. It eventually arrived at 7pm, somehow it had been sent to the wrong area on the ship. Oh well, no big deal really, at least they found it in the end.

Cabin

We liked the cabin although we had the ‘bed by the entrance’ layout. I think there was plenty of room for two people and more than enough storage space. The bathroom situation wasn’t an issue either, we’ve been married for 28 years and the privacy thing wasn’t a problem at all. I think the lighting could be improved though, it isn’t bright enough at the mirror to apply makeup easily.

Dining

We loved the food. The only problem was that the cruise wasn’t long enough to try all the restaurants! We ate at the Manhattan Room, Taste, Garden Café, O’Sheehans, Teppanyaki, Moderno, and Cirque Dreams. Favourite restaurant has to be Teppanyaki, food was delicious and the chef put on a good show. We did enjoy Moderno but we’ve been to better Brazilian Steakhouses on land and I don’t think we’d do that one again.

Alcohol was expensive but we expected that. We had wine with dinner and drinks/cocktails at the shows. DH also took advantage of the 6 for the price of 5 beers deal. We also bought some coke zero at the duty free shop in the cruise terminal in Barcelona. The shop was located after check in and there were several people there buying alcohol to take on board. We only bought soft drinks to have in the cabin.

Entertainment

We saw Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Cirque Dreams and Los Locos Ole. We loved BMG and Cirque, we liked Legends (Rod Stewart, Madonna and Elvis) but didn’t really like Ole. The guitar playing was amazing but the humour didn’t do anything for us. Lots of others were enjoying the show though, so I’m sure this is just personal taste. We saw Slam Allen in Fat Cats, Deal or No Deal and Howl at the Moon, and enjoyed all of them. There was so much we didn’t get to see, but its an excuse to go again lol. Also, this is a tiring itinerary, particularly the Italian ports. We were up very early in the morning and on our feet all day, and didn’t have the energy to stay up late at night too.

Weather

The weather was warm and sunny on the first day (sea day). We had the CC meet & greet in the morning and then spent the afternoon sunning ourselves on deck. We’re not really into swimming so didn’t use the pools (I think they’re a bit small anyway) or slides. We had no trouble finding loungers on the public sundeck on deck 18. There was an older couple up there too, they were on sun loungers wearing long pants and fleece jackets with the hoods up. It made me feel too hot just looking at them lol.

It got steadily warmer as the week went on. Tuesday (Naples) was warm but a little cool and windy when we stopped for lunch at a restaurant high in the hills above Amalfi. Rome was cool early in the morning but by the time we were at the Colleseum the sun was out and it was hot. On Saturday in Bandol and Castellet the temperature was in the high 80s.

Ports

We used Romeinlimo for the Italian ports and they were excellent. We had gotten together with others on our roll call and had a group of 15 for each tour. The Amalfi coast was beautiful and Pompeii was very interesting. We got there in the morning just as it opened and managed to tour the site before the big crowds arrived. We couldn’t visit Sorrento and Positano because of traffic issues, but we visited Amalfi and Ravello instead. Rome was amazing and our tour guide Julia was wonderful. We’re definitely going to go back there for a few days and see everything, at a slower pace though. I loved Florence and will return there, and I’m glad we went to Pisa and saw the Leaning Tower but I don’t think I need to go there again. Since we were first time cruisers and first timers to Italy too, we felt that we needed organised tours to really get the most from our short time in each port.

We didn’t do a tour in Cannes, we got the tender about 9am and got on a trolley tour around the town for 10 euros each. We then walked around and took some photos and did some shopping. We needed to relax a little after Italy! We did an NCL tour in Marsailles – Hilltop Castellet and Seaside Bandol. It was a half day tour with only a short time in each village, just enough time to walk around a little and do a little shopping.

I have lots of photos of the ports and tours and will post some after I upload them.

Conclusion

We loved the Epic and the cruise was wonderful. We will definitely cruise again – we bought a Future Cruise Certificate as it was such a good deal. The crew was very welcoming and service was excellent. We had no complaints at all, our room steward was very good. He seemed to know when we left the cabin and even if we were only away for a short time, he had tidied and replenished anything we had used by the time we got back. We completed a compliments card for him and handed it in to guest services before we disembarked.

I hope this review helps anyone who is going on the ship soon. I read many reviews before our cruise and was grateful to those who took the time to share their experience. Can’t wait to go again!!

Hi SallyStrawberry,

I enjoyed reading your review as I will be on the Epic for the first time in October and like to know others opinions.

I totally agree about the flights -I actually booked direct with NCL but booked my own flights because ones offered were via Amsterdam - which I didnt really like and they were at dreadful times???

Another thing this allows you to do is arrive a bit earlier at your destination, not be rushed and see the sights at your own pace - most ccs would advise that arriving on the same day as the ship leaves is stressful

I am lucky as I live in Lancashire so can use either Manchester or Liverpool airports:)

Thank you for the review. This will be our first time doing the Western Med. Did the Eastern last year. There's so much to see, that's why we also booked full day tours with a tour company. I really don't want to be bothered trying to locate trains, buses, schedules or what have you.

And you're right, the itinerary is exhausting. I'm going to need at least 3 days afterwards to recuperate, before I head back to work.

I have a few questions, Did you prebook your Specialy restaurants or just showed up when you were hungry? Did you book premium seating for Cirque? How was the food in Cirque? Do you eat during or before the show?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a wonderful trip... We love Italy and you are right, one quick tour day in Rome is not enough. Thank you for the review... We are booked on Epic in July 2013, but have 3 cruises to do before that... You've got me looking forward already....

Wendy:)

Sallystrawberry.....................out of interest, what were your flight arrangements? Ie where did you fly from and with what airline?

We flew with British Airways. We were given the choice of flying from Edinburgh very early in the morning on 6 May (day the cruise started) to Barcelona via Heathrow. Or we could fly from Glasgow on the evening of 5 May, stay overnight at Heathrow and fly to Barcelona on 6 May. It would have been the same flight (11.15am) from Heathrow on either plan. We didn't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn (or before) on 6 May and drive to Edinburgh for the flight so chose to fly from Glasgow and stay overnight at Heathrow.

Next time, we will make sure to arrive at the departure port at least a day or two before the start of the cruise as I didn't like having to rush onboard and go straight to the muster drill.

Thank you for the review. This will be our first time doing the Western Med. Did the Eastern last year. There's so much to see, that's why we also booked full day tours with a tour company. I really don't want to be bothered trying to locate trains, buses, schedules or what have you.

And you're right, the itinerary is exhausting. I'm going to need at least 3 days afterwards to recuperate, before I head back to work.

I have a few questions, Did you prebook your Specialy restaurants or just showed up when you were hungry? Did you book premium seating for Cirque? How was the food in Cirque? Do you eat during or before the show?

Thanks in advance

We booked Teppanyaki and Moderno onboard. Teppanyaki was full when we ate there but Moderno wasn't. I don't think there would be a problem getting a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants at short notice. We ate at Teppanyaki on the day we toured Florence, we booked when we got back to the ship at 6pm and our reservation was at 8pm. We showed up at 7.45pm and were seated immediately.

We did book premium seating for Cirque before we boarded, we didn't have to pay in advance as we're from the UK, the charge was added to our onboard account. We were seated in the balcony and had a great view. I thought the food was very good and it was served during the show. The only issue I had was that my shrimp were lukewarm, but the rest of my meal was fine.

Great review, very well written!

Sounds like you tried to do everything that the ship has to offer!;)

Which was your favorite and least favorite port?

My husband would like to only dine in one pay restaurant this trip, and since we havent experienced Le bistro, Cagneys or Tepannyaki, I just can't decide one which one to choose. I guess your vote would be Tepannyaki!:D

Was the comedy show family friendly? We are pretty laid back, I just don't want to be uncomfortable with my teenagers through out show.

Did you mostly order room service breakfast or did you run to the buffet before touring?

Thanks for answering all my questions in advance!

We booked Teppanyaki and Moderno onboard. Teppanyaki was full when we ate there but Moderno wasn't. I don't think there would be a problem getting a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants at short notice. We ate at Teppanyaki on the day we toured Florence, we booked when we got back to the ship at 6pm and our reservation was at 8pm. We showed up at 7.45pm and were seated immediately.

We did book premium seating for Cirque before we boarded, we didn't have to pay in advance as we're from the UK, the charge was added to our onboard account. We were seated in the balcony and had a great view. I thought the food was very good and it was served during the show. The only issue I had was that my shrimp were lukewarm, but the rest of my meal was fine.

Thank you:)

Archived