Passports & Young Children?

My Daughter and Son-In-Law plus their two children (my grandkids) are looking to sail with us this November and I am wondering about passports vs. documents and such.

I realize that a passport is better all for around ID vs. birth certificates/State ID but what about the kids (age 3 and nearly 2 by sailing) - what ID would they need and should the parents get passports and is there such a thing as a young child passport?

Thanks!

My Daughter and Son-In-Law plus their two children (my grandkids) are looking to sail with us this November and I am wondering about passports vs. documents and such.

I realize that a passport is better all for around ID vs. birth certificates/State ID but what about the kids (age 3 and nearly 2 by sailing) - what ID would they need and should the parents get passports and is there such a thing as a young child passport?

Thanks!

A birth certificate . You can get a Passport for babies . Its good for 10 years . My 3 year old was born is Russia and has a russian passport . Her U.S. Citizenship Document was all she needed she doesnt have a U.S. Birth Certificate .

We went ahead and got our kids (9 and 4) the passport cards. It was more convenient than carrying around birth certificates and cheaper than a passport book. Kids passports are only good for 5 years versus the 10 years an adult's passport is valid.

We went ahead and got our kids (9 and 4) the passport cards. It was more convenient than carrying around birth certificates and cheaper than a passport book. Kids passports are only good for 5 years versus the 10 years an adult's passport is valid.

16 and over 10 years ..

I agree. Get the passport card. It is the same size as a license. It cost $30 plus the cost of a picture. It is so much easier than lugging around BC's. There is alot of debate on here about Passorts and cards but everyone in my family has a passport and I find it so easy.

I agree. Get the passport card. It is the same size as a license. It cost $30 plus the cost of a picture. It is so much easier than lugging around BC's. There is alot of debate on here about Passorts and cards but everyone in my family has a passport and I find it so easy.

anybody know the cost of a childs passport ?

A birth certificate . You can get a Passport for babies . Its good for 10 years . My 3 year old was born is Russia and has a russian passport . Her U.S. Citizenship Document was all she needed she doesnt have a U.S. Birth Certificate .

Childs passport is only good for 5 years and to renew both parents must be present.

So in the end neither parents nor the kids need a passport, but it would be better off having one; remember we're talking about a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old.

In the long run , I would think so ..

A passport card is fine until someone needs to remain behind in a foreign country because of accident or illness. Then, without a passport, you can't get out of that country. I have known of people who missed the ship and their passports and money were on the ship! Problemmo!

A passport card is fine until someone needs to remain behind in a foreign country because of accident or illness. Then, without a passport, you can't get out of that country. I have known of people who missed the ship and their passports and money were on the ship! Problemmo!

Exactly right! My 8yr old has had a passport since she was 2 when she went on her first cruise...the reason explained to me at the post office where we completed the passport application was that if one of us was injured and had to fly home then a passport would be the only way to get back into the US..on a ship you can go with a birth cert as long as the cruise starts and ends at the same US port. (closed loop) I would hate to have someone in my family injured and have to fly back with them and my child not be able to get on the plane...:eek:

anybody know the cost of a childs passport ?

Just received our 14 year olds passport and card in the mail this week.

We paid $85 for a minor passport and decided to get the passport card since it was only $15. Applied for it and got it within 3 weeks =)

Now we just have to wait until December to use it =/

Both parents must be present if both names are on the BC. In my DSD's case, her bio mom took off years ago. She has no visitation, custody or rights. My husband has full custody in the divorce decree and we did not need her permission.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My original passport was from 1964, and at that time my mother and I were in the photo. I was 6 at the time. Get the darn thing, it ain't too bad to have. I don't understand what the issue is about having a passport.

I don't understand what the issue is about having a passport.

My query (the original post) was a mere question and not so much of an issue.

If it were an "issue" I would say that it would be more of an economic one based on the overall costs of having to $pend more on acquiring 2-4 passports vs. birth certificates/State ID's.

Childs passport is only good for 5 years and to renew both parents must be present.

One Parent MUST:

Appear in person with the minor

Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

Submit the second parents’ notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

Taken from the Government web site.

Just an aside, have you checked into getting your child a US Birth Certificate? Every place is different, some only pay a small fee for it, we had to re-adopt for around $185, but now the kids (2 one from Russia, one from Ukraine) have official Ohio Birth certificates for when they need to show one.

If you want information about passport requirements and documentation, the best thing is to visit travel.state.gov

It would be better to go to www.getyouhome.gov, which is the website that State links you to and is published by the agency that passengers will be dealing with when re-entering the States.

OP, you have to analyze the risk for you and your family- how much of a realistic chance that 1) you will miss the ship in port (or at the embarkation port, you wouldn't be able to catch up to the ship without a passport), 2) you have more than a normal risk of illness/injury that would require medical evacuation (i.e. participating in dangerous activities, known medical conditions), 3) something happening to someone back home that would require you to cut your trip short (and that would require everyone's presence). On a closed loop cruise birth certificates are perfectly fine and permissible for the kids (official government issued, not hospital issued) and for the adults coupled with a government ID.

It would be better to go to www.getyouhome.gov, which is the website that State links you to and is published by the agency that passengers will be dealing with when re-entering the States.

OP, you have to analyze the risk for you and your family- how much of a realistic chance that 1) you will miss the ship in port (or at the embarkation port, you wouldn't be able to catch up to the ship without a passport), 2) you have more than a normal risk of illness/injury that would require medical evacuation (i.e. participating in dangerous activities, known medical conditions), 3) something happening to someone back home that would require you to cut your trip short (and that would require everyone's presence). On a closed loop cruise birth certificates are perfectly fine and permissible for the kids (official government issued, not hospital issued) and for the adults coupled with a government ID.

On our last cruise customs requested an id from our 14 year old grandson who was traveling with just the birth certificate. He had an id from the state.

Archived