Passports & Young Children?

On our last cruise customs requested an id from our 14 year old grandson who was traveling with just the birth certificate. He had an id from the state.

They can request it. Doesn't mean that you have to produce it. (And last time I checked government employees do make mistakes.)

My original passport was from 1964, and at that time my mother and I were in the photo. I was 6 at the time. Get the darn thing, it ain't too bad to have. I don't understand what the issue is about having a passport.

It's not an issue, it is a choice that is given to us by the US government if we are US Citizens cruising on a closed loop cruise to/from the same US port. What others choose is their business...it doesn't matter if you understand it or not.

To the OP...if your child is under 16 then a Certified Birth Certificate is all that is required. A gov't issued photo ID is not required until they turn 16. My children have sailed many times with just their Birth Certificate with absolutely no problems.

It's not an issue, it is a choice that is given to us by the US government if we are US Citizens cruising on a closed loop cruise to/from the same US port. What others choose is their business...it doesn't matter if you understand it or not.

Can I get an Amen!! :)

To the OP...if your child is under 16 then a Certified Birth Certificate is all that is required. A gov't issued photo ID is not required until they turn 16. My children have sailed many times with just their Birth Certificate with absolutely no problems.

The Grandkids are several years under 16 so "their choice" remains either the same or to $ave - thanks!

We got our teenagers passports three years back, before their first cruise. Primarily because if something were to happen we would need them to fly home. Their father lives in another state, so he sent us notorized authorization to have the passports issued. I think it was just a form that we got from the US passport website.

Our newest addition is cruising for the first time in a few weeks. He will be 22 months at time of sailing. We just requested his passport for the same reason, but it is also going to be darn cute. :D

They can request it. Doesn't mean that you have to produce it. (And last time I checked government employees do make mistakes.)

I have no desire to argue with a customs agent. He now has his passport so no worries.

I have no desire to argue with a customs agent. He now has his passport so no worries.

I wouldn't argue either, I'd be talking to his supervisor (if the CBP officer tried to delay us because a 14 year old didn't have a photo id).

• 3 months later...

We got one for our son at 6 months. We wanted to have it in the event that something happened and we had to fly back into the country. Hopefully we won't need it, but I feel better having it and it's valid for 5 years.

Archived