Costa Rica

CDreamer

We feel the same about transport. I think I saw the info on the SD blog. Or maybe an email from Bob Lepisto. Know I saw it somewhere.

Please let us know if you find it again, Jim. Would be very helpful info to have!

Zimmy, will look fwd to sailing with you. :)

This is Lena from last years cruise in Norway with you We did a cruise 2 years ago on SB through the Panama Canal that left from CalderaFlew into San Jose and stayed there 1 night Found on cc board people on the same cruise that had hired a van for 8 people and we ended up joining them and cost us $ 20 pp It takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to the port Beautiful ride Another thing if you like coffee there is a great tour of Coffee Britt and they will pick you up at the hotel and bring you back Is about 30 minutes from downtown San Jose Have been getting there coffee delivered to the house for over 5 yearsTheir website is http://www.coffeebritt.com and you can book the tour on line Loved going through the canal and SB did some of the same ports

Thanks, Jim. I never would have found that - I wasn't even aware that there was a blog. I would imagine that they'll come out with more information closer to the time when plane tickets would be available for purchase. I've already gone online and mapped out our routes - AA from Chicago to Barbados through Miami, and UA to Chicago from San Jose through Houston.

Thanks, Jim. I never would have found that - I wasn't even aware that there was a blog. I would imagine that they'll come out with more information closer to the time when plane tickets would be available for purchase. I've already gone online and mapped out our routes - AA from Chicago to Barbados through Miami, and UA to Chicago from San Jose through Houston.

We will probably be flying back to IAH with you. Long time Continental freaky fliers are now getting used to it being UA. Connections through IAH usually work ok. Looking forward to seeing Yall on board.:D

We will probably be flying back to IAH with you. Long time Continental freaky fliers are now getting used to it being UA. Connections through IAH usually work ok. Looking forward to seeing Yall on board.:D

Oops! We are not on your cruise, but on the November 30 r/t Caldera. Still, you should have an easy trip home through Houston. the Barbados through the Panama Canal looks fabulous but us poor working stiffs could not get that time off as you really need to do the BTB as you are to see any of Costa Rica. Will enjoy your posts. :D

us poor working stiffs could not get that time off as you really need to do the BTB as you are to see any of Costa Rica. Will enjoy your posts. :D

We are most definitely working stiffs, also, Jim, and DH is not happy about taking two plus weeks but we took the plunge. We had been planning on taking the Christmas cruise or the one right before that (as we are this year), but a couple we sailed with last summer emailed that they were taking the back to back and we wanted to join them. So we are traveling in November in 2013 and will be at home in December next year. I do hope that changing our schedule will not make tax season seem even longer for me, but we will see.

We are most definitely working stiffs, also, Jim, and DH is not happy about taking two plus weeks but we took the plunge. We had been planning on taking the Christmas cruise or the one right before that (as we are this year), but a couple we sailed with last summer emailed that they were taking the back to back and we wanted to join them. So we are traveling in November in 2013 and will be at home in December next year. I do hope that changing our schedule will not make tax season seem even longer for me, but we will see.

The BTB really is the primo way to do these itineraries. Had we not just been on a Panama Canal cruise this past January, we would have done the same. I know you will keep us all informed.:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We signed up for the New Year's Eve week trip from Caldera through the Panama Canal to the Caribbean side of Panama. The New Year's Eve party will be in Panama City. This will be our first time to that part of the world. We have heard nothing but positive things about Costa Rica. Would welcome insights from those who have already been there or already done more research in advance of future voyages. Kudos to SD for expanding their and our horizons with so many new destination options!

• 1 month later...
313 days and counting. Just scored excellent rates on First Class on United from PHX to San Jose. Arriving on Nov. 29th. Are booked on flights. Woo Hoo. Will probably do the SeaDream hotel/transfers package. :D

Jim, we have just started looking into airlines & hotels this week. I thought that we'd better get started on our air because our return flight is Thanksgiving week, which is never a good (or cheap) time to fly. But I didn't see any information on a SD hotel/transfer package. Where did you get that information?

Jim, we have just started looking into airlines & hotels this week. I thought that we'd better get started on our air because our return flight is Thanksgiving week, which is never a good (or cheap) time to fly. But I didn't see any information on a SD hotel/transfer package. Where did you get that information?

I might have dreamed it but I think I saw it on the website. Cant find it so have emailed the Commodore for clarification. If they have it, we will probably book it unless it is outrageous price wise. Arriving the requisite day early. I am sure we will find something constructive to do.:eek::D

I really know very little about Costa Rica, but from what I'm reading I think that transportation within the country might be an issue. Our cruise leaves from Barbados, so we have already booked two days at the Barbados Hilton - that part is easy. But when we leave the ship I'm looking at a resort in a different area from Caldera, and I think we might have to fly to get there. We'll only be staying for a few days so we need to determine whether it is worth the effort. I haven't expended much energy on it up to this point - I called our TA Friday and asked how we would get there, and I went to Barnes & Noble and bought Fodor's. The more I read in Fodor's the more confused I got. But I think Caldera is about an hour's drive from the airport in San Jose. The resort we're looking at is about an hour away from Liberia, the other airport in Costa Rica. We can fly home to Chicago from either airport. But obviously we can't buy tickets until we figure out which airport we need to fly from, so I think we need to figure things out sooner rather than later.

Zimmy,

Commodore C says they will have 3 pre/post packages available and pricing should be set by this week. Will post it when I get it. Here's hoping for reasonable.:eek::D

Well then, that is a good excuse to do nothing until I get more information. Thanks.

I'm with you on sooner. Now that we have airfare in hand, I am all over booking the fun stuff. I have a friend who has property in CR and is married to a CR native and he says driving can be an issue. Road upkeep and directions can be strange to us foreigners. I am ok with SD doing the driving and I am sure whatever hotel they work with will be at least as good as the Sheraton Old San Juan.:eek: As long as SD is at the end of the road, we are happy.:D

Was just checking out the Costa Rica cruises... the weeks of December 7th and 14th are priced very attractively. I'm tempted. :D

We have taken SD's cruise just before the Christmas cruise (which the 14th is) several times, Knot. We just did it last December. That week is generally priced quite attractively, and we have found that there has always been a great passenger mix with few, if any, kids.