Nynashamn Transfers and Private Guide?

We are four people traveling on the September 2, 2005 sailing of the Star Princess. Our first port of call is Nynashamn for Stockholm on September 4, 2005. We have arranged private transportation and guides in every port except Nynashamn/Stockholm and Tallinn. We are not too concerned with Tallinn as it appears with a good guidebook we can walk from the ship and explore on our own. Stockholm is a different story. As my wife's birth-right is ½ Swedish it is an important stop for us. Unfortunately, all the quotes we have received except one are ridiculously expensive ranging from about $1500 to $2000 USD for transfers and a three to four hour tour of Stockholm. Given that we call on a Sunday we are not even sure which of the "must see" attractions in Stockholm will be open.

One company, Port Promotions, came in at what we felt was a reasonable price -- $800 including RT transfers from Nynashamn to Stockholm and a 3-4 hour guided tour, not including entrance fees. Today, however, suddenly they notified me that they could not get a min-van (I guess every van in Sweden is booked -- they say the company they use is booked, but if I quote a price I would look elsewhere to honor my quote even if it meant I might make a few dollars less than I planned) and the only transportation they could get was a 15-25 person coach and the price would nearly double. Well, we don't want a 15-25 person coach for 4 people and we certainly don't like to be subject to the old bait and switch routine, which in our opinion is what they are doing -- again that is only our opinion, they may differ in their opinion.

We know all the other options, e.g., train from Nynashamn to Stockholm coupled with a walking tour in Stockholm by one of the many companies, Princess RT transfers only with us arranging the walking tour on our own or using a guidebook, taking a Princess tour that includes transpiration and tour, bargaining with a taxi at the port in Nynashamn for either RT transpiration only or transportation and a tour, but we like everything set in advance.

Thus, my plea. Does anyone have the name of a company that might be willing to do the transportation and tour for a reasonable price? In our world we would say a tour that lasted 3-5 hours coupled with RT transportation that cost somewhere between $800 and $1000 for the four of us including the van, driver and licensed guide, with or without admission fees would be reasonable. If there are options I have not thought about, I would welcome those as well.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, I have contacted Ahti about both Tallinn and Stockholm, but he is busy working with a "large UK group" and could not get back to us until this week, so if you know any other Tallinn guides that would be welcome as well.

Again, thanks for any help.

Please see the thread "Stockholm transportation 2005" that I just bumped up to top here.

Thanks for moving this thread up. This is in large part where we received our various transport to and from Nynashamn options. We are really looking for the transportation coupled with a guided tour for the four of us, rather than booking transport on our own and then finding a guide in Stockholm. If we can't any recomendations on a good Stockholm private guide will be helpful.

Thanks for responding.

Hi, Shelly,

On 25 May, the first batch of Star Baltic-ers will disembark. The next day, we should start posts querying them about such things as this. ;)

I think that the train should be a blast, especially if we can get an early one. Lousy that we have to spend 3 hours going to and fro instead of Vasaing and Gamla Staning. But if the countryside is nice to view and the company in good spirits, it should be a good time. :D

Would you please put it in your PDA, or other electronic whatchamacallit for a tickler for 26 or 27 May (have to give pax time to fly). Thank you - Great Thread. :cool:

Thanks for moving this thread up. This is in large part where we received our various transport to and from Nynashamn options. We are really looking for the transportation coupled with a guided tour for the four of us, rather than booking transport on our own and then finding a guide in Stockholm. If we can't any recomendations on a good Stockholm private guide will be helpful.

Here're some info I can share with you as I've also been exploring options for private tours.

Option 1 - (This response was received today from "Maria Jonsson" maria@taxinynas.se) Hot off the press....:)

You can book a guided tour with Taxi Nynas http://www.taxinynas.se/1024/start_1024.htm. For 1-4 passengers, the rate I was quoted is as follows:

Nynäshamn - Stockholm - US$105

Stockholm - Nynäshamn - US$95

Guided tour - US$85/hr.

If you consider a 4-hr. guided tour, the total cost for the 4 of you will be US$540.

Option 2 - I've also inquired about a guided walking tour offered by http://www.stockholmstories.com/st_eng_friend.htm.

The rate is 500SEKpp (4-hr) + 700SEK taxi each way (4 passengers). Total for 4 would be about US$485.

Check out the sites yourself and email the contacts so you can get your specific quotes and detailed tour info.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Shelly,

On 25 May, the first batch of Star Baltic-ers will disembark. The next day, we should start posts querying them about such things as this. ;)

I think that the train should be a blast, especially if we can get an early one. Lousy that we have to spend 3 hours going to and fro instead of Vasaing and Gamla Staning. But if the countryside is nice to view and the company in good spirits, it should be a good time. :D

Would you please put it in your PDA, or other electronic whatchamacallit for a tickler for 26 or 27 May (have to give pax time to fly). Thank you - Great Thread. :cool:

Hi Donna:

Consider it tickled, unless we get the information I'm looking for before the end of May. I hope we do get it soon, as planning this cruise has become a full time job, after, before and sometimes during my full time job. It's a good thing one of my best clients is coming so he understands why his work is being slowed down and not being finished as quickly as usual <LOL>.

Here're some info I can share with you as I've also been exploring options for private tours.

Option 1 - (This response was received today from "Maria Jonsson" maria@taxinynas.se) Hot off the press....:)

You can book a guided tour with Taxi Nynas http://www.taxinynas.se/1024/start_1024.htm. For 1-4 passengers, the rate I was quoted is as follows:

Nynäshamn - Stockholm - US$105

Stockholm - Nynäshamn - US$95

Guided tour - US$85/hr.

If you consider a 4-hr. guided tour, the total cost for the 4 of you will be US$540.

Option 2 - I've also inquired about a guided walking tour offered by http://www.stockholmstories.com/st_eng_friend.htm.

The rate is 500SEKpp (4-hr) + 700SEK taxi each way (4 passengers). Total for 4 would be about US$485.

Check out the sites yourself and email the contacts so you can get your specific quotes and detailed tour info.

Hope this helps.

Help is not the word. This information is exactly the type of information we are looking for. We will contact both companies post haste. May all your meatballs be swedish and may you get extra butter and herring on all your smorgasboard for sharing this information. ;) Seriously, I want to thank you for giving a direct response to our question. While all responses are truly appreciated, I was beginning to think that we might never get to Stockholm as it was seeming impossible to get anything that vaugely resembled what we wanted at a price we could afford unless we took a group tour. With no disrespect meant to those who take group tours, they just aren't our cup of tea, but realize that they are perfect for others. Again, :) THANKS!:)

The prices Maria just sent me are a little more than posted here:

Nynashamn - Stockholm: $160

Return $135

Guided tour $120/hour

The above rate is for 5-8 passengers. The rate I quoted to Shelly and Susi is for 1-4 passengers as they mentioned there're 4 in their party. Maria quoted me both rates.

Help is not the word. This information is exactly the type of information we are looking for. We will contact both companies post haste. May all your meatballs be swedish and may you get extra butter and herring on all your smorgasboard for sharing this information. ;) Seriously, I want to thank you for giving a direct response to our question. While all responses are truly appreciated, I was beginning to think that we might never get to Stockholm as it was seeming impossible to get anything that vaugely resembled what we wanted at a price we could afford unless we took a group tour. With no disrespect meant to those who take group tours, they just aren't our cup of tea, but realize that they are perfect for others. Again, :) THANKS!:)

Shelly & Susi - this is such an unusual thank you note, one that makes me feel hungry....:p

I'm so glad that I can be of help. I know exactly how you feel. I've been planning my shore excursions for the past several months and I've been so grateful for all the help and info sharing on this message board. I was always hoping, someday, I could also make my contribution to this board. Glad I was able to play my part.

Thank you for the gratitude you've shown me and keep those swedish meatballs and herrings coming.....:D

I do have 2 sets of numbers since I told Maria that our group may be more than 4. We are now all signed up for the ship's transportation and plan on seeing the city on our own. This is the only port I am concerned about getting back to the ship on time since it is so far from the city. I have signed up for the transportation that gives the most time in the city and plan on trying to see the Vasa, and Galma Stan and if there is time, city hall.

Does any one have any receommendations for a place for lunch in Gamla Stan? We will be in Stockholm on a Saturday in July if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help. I have Frommers but have not looked at it yet. I have come to rely on these boards since I have acquired so much wonderful information here.

Shelly & Susi - this is such an unusual thank you note, one that makes me feel hungry....:p

I'm so glad that I can be of help. I know exactly how you feel. I've been planning my shore excursions for the past several months and I've been so grateful for all the help and info sharing on this message board. I was always hoping, someday, I could also make my contribution to this board. Glad I was able to play my part.

Thank you for the gratitude you've shown me and keep those swedish meatballs and herrings coming.....:D

I noticed from your cruise list that your trip is coming up soon, so Susi and I wanted to wish you a Bon Voyage. I think Cesare Ditel, the Star's Captain, will stll be on board when you cruise -- it is right around when he get's his vacation. If Ditel is the Captain and you run into him tell him "Shelly and Susi want to know if he broke his dialing finger? They said to call them." Captain Ditel is a close friend of ours and he will laugh. You are free to tell him we met on the internet -- he always gets great pleasure in hearing about this sort of thing and is fascinated by the fact that there are boards that focus on ships, ports, crew and everything else. It may be a nice way to meet the ship's Captain in a more personal way.

The question I had is how long, if you remember, did it take to get a response from Maria and Stockholm Stories? I wrote both the day I read your post, which I think was this past Tuesday, or perhaps Monday and I have not heard from them yet. Private tours are booking up fast!!

For example in Tallinn, Ahti, a guide that is often mentioned on this board would not commit as two parties have either "made a preliminary booking" (his words) or expressed interest. One party I know is making multiple bookings, for several ports, per a post on these boards, and will cancel the tours they don't want when they finally decide. Thankfully for us, we found another company that looks even better than Ahti that we confirmed a booking with for Tallinn. Ahti offered to let us join the other two parties for a small group tour of 11 people, but the first party would choose the times, sites, itinerary, etc. To us that is not a private tour. It is a group tour, only the group is smaller. This is a long winded way of saying that if I should have heard from either of the Swedish companies you suggested by now, I will call them by telephone, as our feeling is in for a dime in for a dollar and we don't want to lose a good thing because e-mail is lost in cyberspace.

Thanks again, and my sincere apology if I'm being a pest!

The question I had is how long, if you remember, did it take to get a response from Maria and Stockholm Stories? I wrote both the day I read your post, which I think was this past Tuesday, or perhaps Monday and I have not heard from them yet. Private tours are booking up fast!!

It took Maria Jonsson over 2 weeks to respond to me. My email was sent 4/16 and the response came back on 5/2. But I got a next day reply from Maria Lindberg Howard (another Maria) of Stockholmstories.com, request sent 4/14 and response received 4/15.

Yes, I'll say hi to Captain Ditel for you and may be I can get a picture with him.:)

I do have 2 sets of numbers since I told Maria that our group may be more than 4. We are now all signed up for the ship's transportation and plan on seeing the city on our own. This is the only port I am concerned about getting back to the ship on time since it is so far from the city. I have signed up for the transportation that gives the most time in the city and plan on trying to see the Vasa, and Galma Stan and if there is time, city hall.

So which shorex did you sign up for that would give you the most time in the city?

I signed up for the Stockholm on your own - full day - code LA

The tour leaves at 9:15 which means we get up and have breakfast after most of the tours and we do not get back until 4:45.

BTW Maria took a few weeks to get back to me.

Archived