$2,000.00 trip insurance???

We are currently booked in a Garden Villa suite on the NCL Gem for next January. It is my husband and myself, our three children and my parents (the Garden Villa is a three bedroom suite that accomodates 8, for those that are unfamiliar). I noticied today on my online account that we are paying $2,000.00 for our trip insurance! We always purchase trip insurance, but have never stayed in a suite of this magnitude. The trip insurance basically comes to about 10% of our total cruise cost. Is this standard?

I'm thinking this is just sticker shock on my part since I have never cruised in such an expensive suite, but when I see some people on here paying $80 for trip insurance for two people on an Alaska cruise, I'm wondering if this is actually too steep. Should I look into insuring elsewhere (ie not through the cruise line), or do you think it's likely that the pricetag will be similar? We are not willing to travel without insurance, particularly since we will be traveling with three children under 6 years oold.

Thanks for your help!

Are you insuring all seven people? It seems a little high, but I don't know what this policy covers. Try doing a quick look at Travelguard.com and do a comparison. That should give you an idea of prices and coverage if you purchase a policy from an outside company.

That sounds about standard for provider-sold insurance. I agree that you should shop around.

Price-wise, provider-sold polices are not a horrible deal for older travelers, as those policies are not age-priced; 3rd-party policies generally are.

Archived