Kids' Dress Code - Amsterdam in Alaska

5ducksfans

Hi, everyone!

I have searched and searched the boards, but can't really find an answer.

We are sailing Amsterdam 14-day Alaska on June 15. I have a 15 y.o. boy, a 12 y.o. boy, and a 10 y.o. girl.

What is the dress code for the kids? How do you usually see kids dressed on this cruise? During the day? At night around the ship? In the kids' club? In the MDR?

My boys are REALLY casual. My 12 y.o. doesn't own a suit or even khakis that fit him right now :o. Of course, my daughter has enough to dress up every night for a month, but she'll still want to be comfy most of the time.

Help! I don't know what to pack for them!

Thanks in advance,

Melody

Daytime anything they would normally wear would be fine- shorts and t-shirts. Dress is casual for all. For night I think both boys are old enough to follow the men's dress code- on casual nights in the MDR long pants (jeans are fine) and a collared golf shirt. For formal nights IMO they both should wear khakis and a dress shirt and tie. It's a good way for them to learn to dress up just a little though still being pretty casual. No tux or suit necessary at their age I wouldn't think.

Hi! I have cruised with my teen boys many times. We made sure they had a couple of dress shirts and ties as well a pair of Dockers and they looked fine for even the formal nights.:D

I know some will disagree with me, but I find it a bit silly to go out and buy a suit or even a sports coat that a child is going to grow out of quickly, just for a cruise. If the kids happen to have more formal attire for church or such, then by all means.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Hear ya! When my boys were young we would have to buy a sport coat etc. for a special event and they outgrew them so quickly.

As for the Alaska cruise - jeans and t-shirts or polos are fine for daytime and shore trips - shorts if the weather is warmer. Best outerwear are hoodies as the weather will be cooler in the mornings and sometimes cloudy or rainy.

Dinner - if you are in the Lido, jeans and t-shirts or polos are fine. In the MDR, khakis and polos or a button-front shirt are fine for regular nights. For formal nights, nice khakis or slacks with a long-sleeved button-front shirt and a tie are fine. Have seen lots of kids in this attire - without sport coat or suit - and they looked dressed-up and nice. Even a long-sleeved shirt without a tie is okay. It is fun to see kids dressed up - especially the little girls in their "party" dresses and dress-up shoes.

Sometimes you can find ties or sport coats at second-hand stores - then you are not wasting money on something they will outgrow quickly and wear only once or twice. Also, ask around - other parents may have outgrown stuff in their closets and be willing to lend to you.

But most of all, don't fret about it.

Thank you, all! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Older son does have a suit, so we'll bring that. Both boys have plenty of collared shirts, so that's good. We will have to get our younger son some khakis based on your tips (he really needs some, anyway). I won't stress about a suit or suit pants for him, unless I can think of someone we can borrow from (never thought of that - thanks!). And ties are no problem, either - we have plenty from first communions, confirmations, graduations, and so forth.

BTW, I *have* read the endless dress code discussions here and on HAL's website. I have found little or no info for kids either place, which is why I asked.

Thank you all, again - I was really stuck by this. :)

I would not worry about it. As long as they are neat and clean it will be fine.

Some people like to dress their small children up like dolls but it certainly is not a requirement. The very last thing that I would do is buy a small child a suit or jacket, or even bother packing one, for an Alaska cruise.

Older son does have a suit, so we'll bring that. Both boys have plenty of collared shirts, so that's good. We will have to get our younger son some khakis based on your tips (he really needs some, anyway). I won't stress about a suit or suit pants for him, unless I can think of someone we can borrow from (never thought of that - thanks!). And ties are no problem, either - we have plenty from first communions, confirmations, graduations, and so forth.

BTW, I *have* read the endless dress code discussions here and on HAL's website. I have found little or no info for kids either place, which is why I asked.

You are going to have such a fun cruise. What you suggest, collared shirts and khakis, are great. On our Alaska cruise we had some GAP vests that worked nicely. Throw in a couple of ties, just in case someone complains. I have never had a problem with the girls because they love to dress. If for any reason your dress is not appropriate, order room service on your balcony and enjoy a beautiful evening with your family. Have a great cruise. Cherie

p.s. Thrift stores are great locations to purchase items that might be worn only once.

Hi! I have cruised with my teen boys many times. We made sure they had a couple of dress shirts and ties as well a pair of Dockers and they looked fine for even the formal nights.:D

I know some will disagree with me, but I find it a bit silly to go out and buy a suit or even a sports coat that a child is going to grow out of quickly, just for a cruise. If the kids happen to have more formal attire for church or such, then by all means.

Enjoy your cruise!:D

I completely agree..

I agree your boys will be fine in a long sleeve shirt & tie with a pair of khakis on formal night..Also agree that sometimes you can find very inexpensive jackets for kids in second hand shops, but suggest you don't tell the boys where you got them..:rolleyes: LOL You might want to have a pic of your family all dressed up...

When we traveled with our teen aged Son, he had to wear dress pants, a jacket & tie to fly with us in first class..(We were Non-Rev's & that was our dress code)..I thought about trying to purchase a jacket in a thrift shop, but he would have no part of that..:eek: He wanted a suit, so we took him shopping for a suit.. He loved that suit only because flight attendants & waitresses made a big deal about him..He loved the attention & any chance he got to wear it was fine with him..We still hang the pic of us & him in his suit.. Now he wears mostly jeans ..They grow up so fast..

Enjoy your cruise..

cheers...:)Betty

We bought my son a black suit for an Alaska cruise when he was 15, and he got three years of use out of it, just bought him a new one now he's 18. Ok actually when I bought his suit, I bought two pairs of matching pants, one for the cruise and one in the next longer length as I knew he'd need the longer pants soon. He wore his suit for formal nights on the cruise, wore it to several funerals ( :( ) , and several homecomings and proms. It turned out to be an excellent investment, frankly I never dreamed we'd get so much use out of it, nor that it would last so long.

We like "dressing" for formal nights and having family photos taken!

go to salvation army.store. I just bought a dress up pant suit for formal night. (17.00) Now I have two my new gown I got at a bridal shop and this dress up pant suit. you will find lots of stuff salvation Army stores. Try end hand stores pr consignment stores there he can wear it and when he out growns it you can return it and get money back. He does not need a jacket.

Mary

Archived