buying jewelry on vacation

smiles32617

good morning!

My fiancee and I were thinking about buying some jewelry while on the cruise ship. I was wondering if anyone has had a good or bad experience with this? What kind of prices? And also we are to go eastern (if a hurricane doesn't stop us again) any ports that have good deals?:confused:

good morning!

My fiancee and i were thinking about buying some jewelry while on the cruise ship. I was wondering if anyone has had a good or bad experience with this? What kind of prices? And also we are to go eastern (if a hurricane doesn't stop us again) any ports that have good deals?:confused:

don't do it

Thank you for that link!

What about buying it on board? We thought it would be nice to get something that has a honeymoon story behind it. :)

I personally wouldn't buy it on the ship or it port unless it is cheap costume jewelry. You have no recourse if something goes wrong.

There was a story posted here about a woman who spent around $2000 I believe on diamond earrings from the shop on board. When she got home to have them appraised she was told they were fake. The cruise line wouldn't do anything since it those people/stores are basically contractors. I can't remember exactly but I think she did contact the company that sold her the earrings and they told her too bad because they said she probably switched the diamonds out herself.

Also a story I read yesterday where someone was negotiating on jewelry and the store clerk said they would take it into the back to clean it and when they came back out brought a different piece of jewelry. The customer noticed and did not purchase anything.

Beyond the 'don't do it' recommendation get something as a keepsake piece rather than a showpiece.

Doesn't have to be stones at all, or even very expensive I've seen some beautiful silver jewelry in tiny shops in Mexico. Don't expect any great deals onshore or onboard.

I agree to some extent. However, I did purchase some beautiful Carribean Saphire earrings while in St. Thomas last year. They're really beautiful!!! My dh spent $115 on them. Supposedly they retailed for much higher. I must say I haven't seen anything like them in the states. Very large stones that have brilliant color that seems to pick up any color in my clothing. I get more compliments on that pair of earrings than any other jewelry I have worn. And they always ask where I got them. When we go back next spring break, I plan to get a matching necklace. The coloring is just soooo versitale.

So if you get something in the islands, get what you like, especially if it's unusual looking (like mine :D)....don't purchase some "rare stone" trying to get an investment. And don't let them try and tell you "there's only a limited amount left so the price is only going to go up!" That's a bunch of bullarky.:rolleyes:

I have got some beautiful pieces that you do not find in the states. Try to stick with reputable stores and dont go too expensive.

When I wear the pieces it does bring back fond memories of the trip.

But I dont plan that they will go up in value or anything like that. If you love it and you can afford it go ahead.

I think that you just need to be educated.. do some shopping around at home for items that you like.. price them out..if it's gold, know what the current value is before you go - ask at a jewelry store to view a diamond through a loop - then ask the same question on the islands. This way you will know how to value what you are looking at. We have done well some years, and others - there just wasn't anything that was 'deal' worthy. Our best deals have come from watches - stores in the islands often have last year's styles on clearance prices. Good luck and have fun!

idk....I've browsed around the jewelry counter on the ship, and I thought their prices seemed high...

I did see some decent deals in Nassau (tons of jewelry stores there), but I didn't buy anything...(just wasn't in the mood)

The best keepsake piece of jewelry....my bff and I took a cruise to Bermuda (my first cruise) and we had fun finding pieces of beautiful beach glass...I brought back a few pieces....for her birthday, I purchased some sterling silver jewelry wire and made her one of those 'wrapped stone' pendants and put it on a silver chain....she absolutely loved it!! (and it was so simple to do)...

If you find something you really like, that's not very expensive, that you're not buying as an investment, sure, go for it! But anything expensive on board the ship or in a shop on shore, I wouldn't do it. They'll make you all kinds of promises and "deals" but I think you're always better off in cases like that to deal with a reputable, established hometown jeweler.

Okay, I confess. I buy jewelry in the Caribbean and haven't been ripped off yet. I also don't pay sales tax on my purchases. I don't buy expensive pieces because like others have warned, you have little recourse if the item is defective or not as described.

The stores on the ships are usually a little bit higher than the port stores but mostly comparable. I think they are fine for keepsake type purchases but if you want an expensive piece of jewelry that costs thousands of dollars, I would buy local at a jeweller you trust.

I buy myself one piece of jewelry worth a few hundred dollars every year either in port or at the ship store. So far, every piece has maintained it's value or increased in value. I cannot find similar pieces for the same prices locally. I just shop around, compare prices, and go with the business or saleperson that makes me feel comfortable. I run from high-pressure salespeople.

I feel confident in my purchases and haven't been let down yet. I've also bought numerous camera in the Caribbean with the same good luck. There are good bargains to be found, but for me it's mostly just a question of finding a large selection not available locally. I would definitely shop around locally before you go and then shop around in each port so you can compare prices and quality. If you find something you love and want to buy it- then do. If not, save your money to spend locally- I like my keepsakes though and have no regrets.

Avoid the ship unless you know its a deal (watches). I have bought a few things for my wife in St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I would compare as someone said earlier as to what you are looking for before you take your trip. Plus, we always shopped at Diamonds International with no worries with locations in the US (Key West and New York). Thus, easy returns if this is not what you wanted after purchase.

See here for locations:

http://www.diamondsinternational.com/Store-Locations/lo/lo.cfm

Good Luck!

Archived