Early, late, or flexible dinner seating?

Oh, if you do anytime dining do you tip each night?

Not neccessary as part of gratuity package, unless you feel your wait team really did something extraordinary for your group. If you get a very good team you can also request them each night. Also as nice as it is to meet new people, with assigned seating it is the same "new" people each night. There are so many other opportunities to meet others. Have a great trip.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Not neccessary as part of gratuity package, unless you feel your wait team really did something extraordinary for your group. If you get a very good team you can also request them each night. Also as nice as it is to meet new people, with assigned seating it is the same "new" people each night. There are so many other opportunities to meet others. Have a great trip.

Thanks!!

Toothfairy -- with a group fixed time is easier. Pick the time that is closest to when you eat at home. However, since you said you want to see the shows after dinner, you have to pick early dining.

With a group of 5 you will probably be seated at a 6 top, not seated with others. You may be seated with a table for 10 but I doubt they'd put you at a table for 8 & force a twosome to join you.

Trying to do flexible dining at prime time -- 7 pm -- comprimses your ability to see either the early or the late show. You will rarely be seated exactly at 7 b/c that is when everyone wants to eat. Instead you will be given a pager & will be seated when a table becomes available.

Toothfairy -- with a group fixed time is easier. Pick the time that is closest to when you eat at home. However, since you said you want to see the shows after dinner, you have to pick early dining.

With a group of 5 you will probably be seated at a 6 top, not seated with others. You may be seated with a table for 10 but I doubt they'd put you at a table for 8 & force a twosome to join you.

Trying to do flexible dining at prime time -- 7 pm -- comprimses your ability to see either the early or the late show. You will rarely be seated exactly at 7 b/c that is when everyone wants to eat. Instead you will be given a pager & will be seated when a table becomes available.

Thanks Trish! We do want to see the show after dinner so it sounds like early dining will be the best for our group! I see what you mean about the seating, and since it sounds like we will be able to mingle with other passengers throughout the day that it will be nice to get together at dinner and focus on each other. I guess I will see how they seat us in December!

Thanks Trish! We do want to see the show after dinner so it sounds like early dining will be the best for our group! I see what you mean about the seating, and since it sounds like we will be able to mingle with other passengers throughout the day that it will be nice to get together at dinner and focus on each other. I guess I will see how they seat us in December!

Most lines put on the shows twice each evening. One is timed for first seating and the other for secind seating. Sometimes the second seating show is before dinner (7pm or so) and other times after (10:30 or so). The first seating one is usually about 8:30. The exact times will be in the daily schedule sheet.

Most lines put on the shows twice each evening. One is timed for first seating and the other for secind seating. Sometimes the second seating show is before dinner (7pm or so) and other times after (10:30 or so). The first seating one is usually about 8:30. The exact times will be in the daily schedule sheet.

Thanks Paul!

Now I just wish I could get the December 16th roll call rolling...:) Are any of you on that?

Thanks Paul!

Now I just wish I could get the December 16th roll call rolling...:) Are any of you on that?

I wish I knew the magic words to get a roll call rolling. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Maybe being a holiday cruise there are lots of families not interested on roll call activities? Never been on a holiday cruise.

I wish I knew the magic words to get a roll call rolling. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Maybe being a holiday cruise there are lots of families not interested on roll call activities? Never been on a holiday cruise.

LOL...I look at other roll calls around then and they are so active and fun, fingers crossed that more will show up start posting!! Otherwise I may just have to join another roll call!! :eek:

We always used to do early dining. When Anytime came along, we quickly grew very used to dining when we wanted--usually around 8 for us.

Our last cruise (the Med) we couldn't get Anytime dining and decided to do late traditional instead of early. I liked it much better than the early slot.

Ships normally have shows arranged so that both early and late diners can see them--often two shows a night.

It also depends on your ports; if you have long days ashore, like we did in the Mediterranean, a 6:15 dining time would be tough. Also, depends if you like staying up late or not. If you go to bed early, then an 8:45 dining time will be hard.

For us, as nightowls, later works better. With small children, early is probably best, or Anytime.

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!!

I think the early dining with work best for us since we want to see the show after dinner. Some of us are night owls and some are early birds so that should work out best for both. I think we will just play it by ear and see if they place us at a large table with others or just by ourselves. Either way would be fine with us.

This is a great board! I appreciate all the help, now I just need to hope and pray that the 12/16 roll call for the Breeze starts rolling along. I have selfish motives...I'm just so excited and I need someone to talk to about it with me!!

The only reason you might want late dining is you are from Denver on mountain time, and the ship is from Miami on Eastern time. So, 8pm ship time is like 6pm to you. Having the show before dinner is not bad, especially if you also want a before dinner cocktail. And there is always something to do after dinner, including live music and on Carnival a late-night comedian.

The only reason you might want late dining is you are from Denver on mountain time, and the ship is from Miami on Eastern time. So, 8pm ship time is like 6pm to you. Having the show before dinner is not bad, especially if you also want a before dinner cocktail. And there is always something to do after dinner, including live music and on Carnival a late-night comedian.

Good point! I didn't even think about that, we have people coming from both coasts along with us in the middle so I think early will be ok...plus there is no shortage of food, drinks, or fun, so we will find a way to make it work. Pre-dinner cocktail sounds good though!! ;)

Two years ago, we cruised with a party of 8 on RCI in the Med and opted for anytime dining. It worked wonderfully for us, we made a reservation each day for the time and table we wanted and never had to wait. We preferred to eat at 7:00 which gave us time to recoup from the excursions that day but still be able to make the late shows comfortably. I've never cruised Carnival so I don't know if they will take reservations for anytime dining.

Two years ago, we cruised with a party of 8 on RCI in the Med and opted for anytime dining. It worked wonderfully for us, we made a reservation each day for the time and table we wanted and never had to wait. We preferred to eat at 7:00 which gave us time to recoup from the excursions that day but still be able to make the late shows comfortably. I've never cruised Carnival so I don't know if they will take reservations for anytime dining.

That sounds nice...I don't think Carnival allows reservations for anytime seating? How was the Med? We were married in Italy and loved it, but I've always wondered about Med cruises? :)

Archived