?What to do/see in Livorno?

flamomo

My cruise in October will be my first time to Europe.

I will be doing a morning half-day Princess excirsion to see the Tower in Pisa.

Are there things do do/see within walking distance of the pier in Livorno?

Any info and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Thanks

Livorno is an industrial port...you have to get away from it.This question was just asked a few days ago and if you read a few pages on this board you will see some suggestions as to what you can do.There is Lucca that you could get to by train. I am guessing you are NOT going to Florence??? It is really a shame not to go since this is your first visit to Europe and Florence has sooo much history.I would get a guide book or use Google to see what is around this and other ports you are going to visit.

I am in agreement,Florence is a must see. I am booked on a Princess "Transportation only" tour for our day there and we go first to Pisa for an hour or so then to Florence for the rest of the day. l Have tickets for the Uffizi art museum which is said to be second only to the Louvre in France. The entire city is amazing based on the photos I have seen.

Yes It is our first time to Europe as well.

I'd consider cancelling your Princess excursion and looking into a private tour.

Go to your Roll Call and see if someone has already organized a tour you can join. If not, you'll probably get some tips on how to get started.

~Rome In Limo is a great company.

~APTours has a good reputation.

~Share a shore excursion in italy is a website that allows you to get a tour organized, then post the information on your roll call. People can sign up to go with you, and you aren't committed to anything unless you get your group put together.

These companies can take you to Pisa AND Florence for the same--or less--money.

Most people on these message boards will tell you that private tours have many advantages over ship excursions--price, flexibility, and small groups rather than 40 people on a bus.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

To answer your original question,

I assume that your trip is a ship organised tour. When you return to the ship, there is usually a shuttle laid on that will take you into town. There was some nice shops to look around, some churches worth a look, a nice market and we just chilled at a nice cafe with some locals.

Thanks

...info.....Pisa is a big tourist trap......too many people.

...suggestion......since this is your first time in Europe.....do not miss Florence....it is the reason the ship stops in Livorno.

If Pisa is a must....there are trips that do Florence and Pisa.

I'd consider cancelling your Princess excursion and looking into a private tour.

~APTours has a good reputation.

These companies can take you to Pisa AND Florence for the same--or less--money.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

JUST AN FYI : Unfortunately, this company is only based in the Naples/Amalfi coast area..... so I do not believe they provide tours in the Livorno/Florence area.

But I will say, that after using them twice for our day in Naples/Amalfi coast they were great !!!!!!!

My cruise in October will be my first time to Europe. I will be doing a morning half-day Princess excirsion to see the Tower in Pisa. Are there things do do/see within walking distance of the pier in Livorno? Any info and suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks

As others have mentioned, my strong suggestion would be . . . to modify your plan . . . definitely!! There's nothing of major value in Livorno!! Sorry!! But, nearby, WOW!!, you have so many, many wonderful options. Since this is your first visit to Europe, tell us much more on your personal interests and travel style. How much for history, scenic countrysides, shopping, culture, museums, wine, art, etc., etc.?? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

As noted in my live/blog connected below, we had previously had four days for Florence and doing the great Tuscany areas, including Sienna. Last June, we did a private tour with stops in Pisa, charming Lucca and then San Gimignano. Wonderful!! Super loved Lucca and all in this walled, historic city.

In some cases, a ship tour is "OK", but here is an area where you need to aim much higher and see much more. You'll love it!! We did a private tour through RomeInLimo and it worked out so well. Don't settle for too little in this area. See some of my visuals as a smaller sampler on your many options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 85,197 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It was a big “WOW” for our first visit to Pisa. This tower is much taller than I expected. They just completed a major cleaning of it in early 2011, making things perfect, except for that little historic foundation problem with one tower. Also impressive here are the Pisa Baptistry and Duomo (main) church. Pisa has a couple of major universities here. There is another church here that also has a leaning (and shorter) tower. We drove by that site, also. Two leaning towers in Pisa! How many knew that?:

PisaLeaningTower.jpg

We had visited San Gimignano in 1999 with our son, but it is a town that is always impressive in history and architectural styles. We had lunch here. Below is a long-shot of the hill town with its tower from the wonderful countryside below and nearby.

SanGimiLongShot.jpg

Within San Gimignano, here is a view of the main Cathedral Square, etc.:

SanGimiMainCathedralSquare-1.jpg

In charming and beautiful Tuscany, here is one of the countryside views that we all love to enjoy so much.:

TuscanyCountrysideView.jpg

In Lucca, this is a closer view of the architectural details for the Chiesa di San Michele in Foro church with its exceptionally tall facade. It was built in the 11th-14th centuries and is in the heart of this walled town.:

LuccaChurchArchcDetails.jpg

Lucca has so many cute and interesting shops. Here is one example that we enjoyed so much. It is the Antico Caffe Dei Simo at Via Fillungo 58. Its origins date back to 1846 and has seen famed artists such as Verdi and Puccini pass through its doors.:

LuccaShopInteriorCounter.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions, and the "kick in the pants" to help me understand what's important. I DO want to see the Tower, but want to see more then that.

Since all the private tours for this port on the roll call are filled, I will have to check back with Princess and see what other excursion options there are.

The one someone mentioned that visits Pisa and then transports passengers to Florence for a few hours of free time to see the sights is sounding pretty good right now.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and the "kick in the pants" to help me understand what's important. I DO want to see the Tower, but want to see more then that.

Since all the private tours for this port on the roll call are filled, I will have to check back with Princess and see what other excursion options there are.

The one someone mentioned that visits Pisa and then transports passengers to Florence for a few hours of free time to see the sights is sounding pretty good right now.

LI190A for $89 PP is the one that I referenced. At least that is the number for our August Grand Med cruise on the Ruby.

Archived